Opinions on HHN wanted

Seahag

yes...I'm a natural blue...
I know it's at a new place & all things are subject to variables, BUT, here is my dilema :
Do we go on the 4th & 5th, when it will be less crowded (most likely), but only open till midnight on Friday or wait untill the 25th & 26th when the crowds will be heavier but be able to go untill 2 am each night (did I mention we will be going on both Friday & Saturday nights?)
Just want to get as many opinions as possible~I know no one reccomends going late in the month, but for some reason, I feel as tho I will be missing out on something going early ~ quell my silly fears people !!!:rolleyes:
ALSO : took really piss-poor pictures last time, what kind of film is reccomended for nighttime shots ?? (advantax film only seem to come in 200 or 400 speed, so I am limited to those options, as I don't think a disposable would do me any better)
PS ~ Great entertainment discounts at the Royal Pacific for these two weekends !!!!
Thanks everybody !!
Gosh, can't believe how excited I am ALREADY!!!:Pinkbounc

I'll give you the insider look, since I have worked the events since '94.

The first actual night of HHN is the employee preview. Most of this night is spent getting used to the venue, and experimenting with what works best as a scare (you can only do so much on dress rehersal). By the time we open for "real" most, but not all of the bugs are worked out. The crowds are usually light, so it is possible to get through much more by 12:00 then you can on crowded nights by 2:00.

By the second week, any technical issues have been addressed, and the scaractors are more comfortable with their tasks. the crouds are somewhat larger, and wait times are up, but the "street scares" seem to be better with a larger crowd. If I were attending the event and had to make it a weekend, I would probably opt to go the second weekend (11th and 12th). However if I weren't constrained by the weekend I would opt for the 16th, 17th, 23rd, 24th, or any of the Sundays, unless there was something I wanted to do that was only available on the peak nights (i.e. the Ooze Zone last year).

Hope that helps!

On the 5th it is open until 2am. So, you should not be restricted on time that night due to the lower crowd levels and late operating hours.

Hey chainsawwolf, thanks for the response, I appreciate the "insiders" view. For some reason, I think we will have a better time later in the month. (we are restricted to those 2 weekends, due to hotel prices !)
I figure if we go 2 nights, we will be able to catch anything we misssed the night before ~hope hope !
Hey rocketman ! I wanted to go on BOTH nights till 2 am !!!
LOL!!
As I may not be able to get the whole friday off from work, I wanted as much time as possible each night. Especially if we are pulling into town around opening time.

I really haven't made up my mind (STILL), but we are leaning twords later in the month. As Chainsawwolf pointed out, by the 2nd week, everyone is comfortable & all the bugs are out.
We had a really bad trip (no fault of the event) when we went two years ago, so I am really going over (& over) all my options for this trip so it makes up for how awful the trip was last time.

In the immortal words of Veruka Salt : " I WANT IT ALL!!"

As for night photos, you want to go with the highest speed film you can get. I use 35 mm generally and I use 800 speed film. The trick to getting good night shots is getting your shutter to stay open for a second or two and to hold your camera very still. I've never used Advantix film for nightshots, but I'd go for 400 speed. See if your camera has a setting for night shots or a way to keep the shutter open for a few seconds.

The key is to keep your camera still as your shutter is open. If you don't hold the camera still in night shots, then your photos will look blurry. It takes practice to do this. You can set your camera on a garbage can or a flat surface. You might even want to get a roll to practice shooting in the dark or low light situations.

Another thing to take advantage of (if they have it again this year) is the "Stay And Scream" option. If you are in the park at closing time and have a HHN event ticket, you are allowed to stay in the park (in a designated area). In the past this group has had exclusive access to at least one of the "houses" before the gates were opened for the general public. It used to be the area around Finnigans, and whatever house was in the Nazermans facade.

Hauntfreak can attest to the value of "Stay and Scream". I'll keep my ears keen for any info on this (of course I'll probably post it first on my Yahoo group!).

http://groups.yahoo.com/group/chainsawwolf/

the Wolf is right we have always used the "stay and sream" opion ... theres about a 2hr window were you will be kept in a defind area.... and we found that there is at least one house(maze) in this area that will open a little early so you can get your scream on..... hummm.... now where will this area be in IOA??.... that is the question :rolleyes:

Hey Barry, thanks for the film advice, I just picked up a roll & will try some night photos. Thanks for all the hints, I would love some photos to come out this year instead of the glossy black 3X5 "nothings" from last time !
We have power passes, so will those qualify for the stay & scream ?
Thanks everybody !!!!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter