opinions on DVD camcorders...

cryssi

<font color=blue>Kabocha<br><font color=green>Look
Hi all,

I have a quick question...my friend is planning to buy a Sony DVD handycam this weekend. She is looking for something simple that's easy to transfer footage to regular DVD's to share with her family. Now, my husband and I, being that we do our own video editing, would not get a DVD camcorder based on past experiences with quality and getting the footage into the computer.

My question is, does anyone have any advice/opinions on this? We have a co-worker who loves his dvd handycam. Is it truly easy to burn footage from the mini DVD RW's to DVD?

Thanks for your opinions... :)

c

I used a Sony DVD Handycam during my recent Disney World vacation. I had a very difficult time trying to transfer the footage to a regular sized DVD, in fact, I got so frustrated that I ended up transferring to a VHS tape instead. I love the camcorder itself, and the quality of picture is absolutely terrific, but I really don't like the transfer (or lack thereof) capabilities.

I'm curious as to what type of software you both used, that you had trouble transferring to regular dvd..

personally I'd go with a regular digital camcorder using tapes, since recording time is much longer...

we didn't transfer to dvd, we imported into the computer...we had other issues with the dvd-r, though that had to do with the user not knowing how to work the handycam...

Mickey, do you think the handycam's ease of use will suffice for my friend?

cryssi said:
we didn't transfer to dvd, we imported into the computer...we had other issues with the dvd-r, though that had to do with the user not knowing how to work the handycam...

Mickey, do you think the handycam's ease of use will suffice for my friend?
it all depends on the person, some people love the ease of use, I don't like the short record time,

I use digital tape and roxio easycd/dvd creator..it's simple to capture the video from the cam corder. then edit and burn to dvd..

if I were to buy a new camcorder, though I'm sure I never will...I'd check out the JVC hard drive camcorder.... you get like 10.5 hours of recording time...

MICKEY88 said:
you get like 10.5 hours of recording time...

!!!

we are currently running Digital 8...sometime in the not-so-distant future we'll be upgrading though. DH likes the Canon XL2...

I bought a Sony mini DV tape camcorder after MUCH research. The only technical aspect of the dvd camcorder which was superior to mine was the ability to record straight to dvd. The dvd machine was more expensive and the mini-dvd had shorter recording times. I was not willing to give up picture quality and features for the novelty of dvd. When I am ready I just burn the tapes to dvd on my computer or my dvd recorder. It is easy to edit on either machine and I keep the tapes as back ups.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter