• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Opinions on Annual Pass

drjackal31

Mouseketeer
Please move this if it's in the wrong place. We typically don't do the annual pass thing as we only go down every other year. We already have a trip planned for September 2019. My husband has a convention he goes to every other year (I've only been once) and we just found out it is scheduled August 2020 in Orlando. :-) I already warned him he will never see me.

Anyway, we plan on coming down a few days early to do Universal, but I will have about 4 days he will be in convention and I will be free to do what I wish and that means I will likely be heading over to the parks.

Would it make sense for just myself to buy an annual pass? Are the perks worth it? Based on 2019 pricing I'd probably come out somewhere even-ish, but we all know prices will likely go up in 2020.

I'm certain there are far more qualified people to answer this question, but here's my thought...
Usually, convention goers are offered special tickets at a significant discount so I would expect to pay less than "list"price for your tickets.

Next even with AP discounts , Photopass etc. I can't imagine you would gain enough benefit from just one 4 day visit to justify the cost. If you are just dying to get a free AP magnet that is a different story altogether!!

Now if you planned a second 4 day or longer trip then I'd consider an AP.

Good luck with your decision and have a great trip.

Are you driving into the parks for both trips? That's $25 per day as of now, that you'll save
Are you planning on getting photos? That's included with ap
You get discounts on merchandise and some sit down restaurants

Those are probably the best perks you get with ap, your turn to do the math :)

I honestly ignore the "perks" and discounts when making my decision on when to by APs. While I try to use them when I have the AP, I look at them as bonus.

I look at it like this...over the 12 months period I plan to be in the parks somewhere between ____ and ____ days. If the cost of park hoppers for ___ total days for my planned visits, I get the APs. If that cost doesn't, I skip them for that year.

Please move this if it's in the wrong place. We typically don't do the annual pass thing as we only go down every other year. We already have a trip planned for September 2019. My husband has a convention he goes to every other year (I've only been once) and we just found out it is scheduled August 2020 in Orlando. :-) I already warned him he will never see me.

Anyway, we plan on coming down a few days early to do Universal, but I will have about 4 days he will be in convention and I will be free to do what I wish and that means I will likely be heading over to the parks.

Would it make sense for just myself to buy an annual pass? Are the perks worth it? Based on 2019 pricing I'd probably come out somewhere even-ish, but we all know prices will likely go up in 2020.

How many days total would be park days from the 2 trips? Do you usually buy a lot from the stores, like souvenirs? Are you interested in memory maker? It's those questions that make it or break it for me. If it really is close, as far as price, I'd always go with the AP and make sure to learn all of the discounts available. It also makes it an easy decision to park hop, or to spend travel days in the parks.

For me, this is pretty much a no-brainer. Go with the AP. That "extra" 4 day trip is a key indicator that an AP will save you some money.

Current price for a Platinum Pass is $952.11 with tax. Current cost of a 4 day Park Hopper in August (using 2019 pricing since 2020 isn't available yet) is $481.09 (w/t). That's over half the cost of the AP. You didn't say how long your September trip is, but if it's for more than 4 days, the AP will be cheaper, even without taking the perks into account. If that Sept trip is 4 days, you're within $20 of breakeven so a single day of parking gets you there. Less than 4 days, don't get the AP.

Steve

If price is equal, I would definitely go with the AP. I do factor in parking when comparing price bc we always drive. Having all photopass photos is a really nice bonus as are the discounts. There’s also that intangible feeling of being an AP. It is a special feeling that really takes your trip to the next level. Getting to use the passholder entrance, etc really feels special!

My husband attended a conference for five days in October and we knew we were going back in February. It made sense for him to pick up the AP since it includes Memory Maker which we usually get. (He also got the AP before they raised the price by ~$50.) The ticket discounts for family members of the convention goers didn't make that much of a difference when I was looking at it. I think it saved about $80 if I remember correctly, but it did come with a day at a water park. The discounts are better for the actual convention attendees. The AP 20% off souvenirs is also nice since the kids usually get a few things. And we will be eating at least one TS meal in February so we'll get 10% off of that as well. We were also able to get a slightly better price on our hotel with an AP rate. If I do my math correctly his AP is saving us about $300 for our February trip.

I agree with the others. Add up the cost of tickets for both trips, and if it’s close of more than the AP, get the AP. If you plan to get PhotoPass, that’s another added value, plus parking and discounts.

If you are already going to Universal, upgrading to an annual pass there would make the most financial sense.

I'm not into mixing Disney and Universal in the same year or trip because the cost goes up so much.

Are there usually resort discounts with an AP as well?

Yeah ........... and for years that discount alone almost covered one of our APs .......... but ........... last couple of years they seem to come out with almost no availability at value/moderate and sometimes come out after general public discount so that hurts. I will say I used the general public discount more than the AP so I could stay where I wanted. It has really become a non-factor for us at this point.

You can keep the regular ticket for your Sept 19 trip. You don’t havevto decide until that trip if you want to upgrade it to an AP.
I went solo in May, got an AP because I was going back with DD in July. Then, in July I decided we’d go again in February since my AP would still be good and we’d just have to pay to upgrade her ticket.

If you are already going to Universal, upgrading to an annual pass there would make the most financial sense.

I'm not into mixing Disney and Universal in the same year or trip because the cost goes up so much.

We are only going to Universal on the 2020 trip for two days max.

I haven't bought tickets for 2019 yet, we have a room only ressie through DVC. Unfortunately we are resale buyers that can't get the DVC rate for the annual pass. :-( We will be there for 6 days, haven't planned details yet. The 2020 trip would be off site.

We did purchase Memory Maker for our last trip and plan on doing a few things those discounts would be good for.

My math with the 2019 prices in August and days in September plus memory maker would be $995.12. If we didn't get memory maker then that is differen't. It will be a lot for me to think about.

My math with the 2019 prices in August and days in September plus memory maker would be $995.12. If we didn't get memory maker then that is differen't. It will be a lot for me to think about.
So this is for a non park hopper ticket. Say you don't do Memory Maker, then you are at $826 if you don't do the AP. You will save $125 that way.

If you plan to drive to the park for those 4 days in Aug '20 you have at least $100 in parking fees. Now you only saved $25 and you can't keep the photos or Park Hop. Also no discount for purchases (20%) or certain TS (10%).

Personally, the Park Hopping puts it over the top for me. We love the freedom to come and go to different parks in the same day.

With ticket prices, we think an AP is worth it. Plus, it gives you free parking at the parks, 10% discount at most restaurants and shopping. Discounts during certain time of the year on rooms, etc.

We are a family of four from out of state. If one of us buys an AP, can we get discounts on special event tickets for the entire family? Or does everyone have to have an AP to get discounted tickets?

Yes, if one person if an annual pass member, they can buy discounted event tickets for the family. Photo pass pictures are shared with everyone connected with that person on My Disney Experience, and they can use their discount for food and merchandise for everyone in their family.

Yes, if one person if an annual pass member, they can buy discounted event tickets for the family. Photo pass pictures are shared with everyone connected with that person on My Disney Experience, and they can use their discount for food and merchandise for everyone in their family.
correct, up to 4 people. So it would work for DianeMae situation

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter