Opinion poll: Allow DIS users to delete their DIS accounts?

Should users be given the choice to delete their own accounts on DIS?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
Are there GDPR reasons users should be able to delete their accounts? I guess we just need one European to complain and find out.
Someone tried to use that reason to delete his account. Unfortunately for him, he is not a resident of the EU so his reasoning did not work. As far as I know, his DIS account is closed, but not deleted. He is inactive here, but very active elsewhere.
If somone wants their account deleted, I think the first step would be to contact admin. Use the "contact us" link at the bottom (right) corner of the page.

Are there GDPR reasons users should be able to delete their accounts? I guess we just need one European to complain and find out.

OK you asked :)

One of the Principles of GDPR is The Right To Be Forgotten
This means that users of a website or customers / clients of a business / members or an organisation etc have the right for their data to be erased.

Under GDPR a person has the right to request a copy of all data relating to them held by a company or organisation. This is called a Subject Access Request.

The company or organisation is not allowed to charge for the retrieval of data or the sending of data to the person who requested it. This request must be completed with 30 days.

HOWEVER

GDPR states that the right to be forgotten will not apply where processing is necessary for:
  • Exercising the right of freedom of expression and information.
  • Compliance with a legal obligation, the performance of a task carried out in the public interest or in the exercise of official authority.
  • Reasons of public interest in the area of public health
  • Archiving purposes in the public interest, scientific or historical research purposes or statistical purposes.
  • Establishment, exercise or defence of legal claims.
The right of erasure is also restricted in certain circumstances under Section 60 of the Data Protection Act 2018, which provides for restrictions that are necessary for important objectives of public interest, and by Section 43 of the Act which seeks to balance the right of erasure with the right of freedom of expression and information.

SOURCE The Data Protection Commission of Ireland

Sounds tempting for me to try but I like my profile name! And sshhh.... I like being here and I’ll stop at that.

Nope, it wont happen because legally they can use the GDPR exemption clause.
That only applies to a miniscule number of members here. There's a reason websites don't delete members and it's because of money. Higher member numbers mean more ad money. A lot of sites won't do it, not just this one.

So the only way to get your account deleted is to ask on the day Pete is hosting a big family wedding??? :earboy2:
giphy.gif

The GDPR is a European law, correct? So it wouldn't apply here because the Dis is a US based company, correct?

I had en
I say no, simply there might be some information that a user put out that is helpful to someone months or even years down the road (some people DO actually search).

Considering you can go back and edit your posts (to delete them) and it's your choice whether to visit here or not, why should a user need an option to delete?

If you really want your account deleted, start breaking the rules and do it consistently. Your account will be deleted in moments.
I keep getting warnings over the most trivial things and I just want to delete my account.

I had en

I keep getting warnings over the most trivial things and I just want to delete my account.
I've gotten a few warnings, but I have to admit they have all been richly deserved!

It's a private website. Learn the rules and follow them -- or not.

I've never been severely damaged as a person by a warning. They've all been more like, "Hey, please don't do that."

No big deal.

Mine have definitely NOT been 'Hey, please don't do that'! NEVER seen a please in a message from a moderator, more like you are deliberately trying to skirt the rules by mentioning that name. Very accusing and upsetting because 12 years of Catholic schools made me a rule follower. If they gently explained 'you violated the rules' it would be so much nicer! I tend to not open any private messages any more, don't have any notifications set up and if I did they would go to a defunct email I no longer use.

I'd like one of the 19 who voted "yes" to explain why. I just don't get it.

I didn't vote, because I don't care either way. I can understand why some people may want to delete their account though. It amazes me how much personal information some people are willing to post here & on other social media. Maybe, they eventually become older & wiser & want that information erased.

I didn't vote, because I don't care either way. I can understand why some people may want to delete their account though. It amazes me how much personal information some people are willing to post here & on other social media. Maybe, they eventually become older & wiser & want that information erased.
But thing is because people quote posts, a lot of that information would still probably exist, even if the person went back and deleted all "their" posts or if deleting the user deleted their posts so it would probably be pointless from that respect.

But thing is because people quote posts, a lot of that information would still probably exist, even if the person went back and deleted all "their" posts or if deleting the user deleted their posts so it would probably be pointless from that respect.
I'm sure those who want to delete their account would hope that any post with that username would automatically be deleted. If not, it would still be much easier to find information, if it's all in one place.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter