Opinion-point value for shared trip?

glencoe

DIS Veteran
Quick sister's trip (3 people), we all are pooling our points equally for a long weekend (90 total- 30pts each).
One family member does not have any extra points (due to the 50% rule) so she wants to pay me cash for her 30 points. I am not looking to make a profit, but replenish $ towards paying cash for another stay..I also have a 50% issue too! LOL
What is a fair price per point for the cash reimbursement? The prices at resale sites and here seem a bit high for this situation?
Thanks!!

Well, even the one time use points from DVC are $19 per point, and you are limited to 24 points...So I would probably wait, and when you get ready to book your trip and need to rent or transfer points, just have them pay that amount, whatever it is. We have no idea how much points will be going for, you may be able to get them for less....but with DVC setting the one time use point at $19, I think most rentals will hover around that, unless someone has a lot of points to get rid of or if they are distressed and non-bankable.

Last edited:
I would charge them the one time use point cost, this will allow you the money to make up those points down the road...well 24 out of 30

Quick sister's trip (3 people), we all are pooling our points equally for a long weekend (90 total- 30pts each).
One family member does not have any extra points (due to the 50% rule) so she wants to pay me cash for her 30 points. I am not looking to make a profit, but replenish $ towards paying cash for another stay..I also have a 50% issue too! LOL
What is a fair price per point for the cash reimbursement? The prices at resale sites and here seem a bit high for this situation?
Thanks!!
If it were my sister, I'd charge her the cost of MFs on those 30 points, which is what it would cost her to use her own points, right? (Or MFs plus purchase cost, if you want to get picky.) If it were a different family member, especially if they asked to use my points, then I'd look to charge OTU points cost or even rental points cost, depending on how close I was to them.

If it were me, I would not charge more than the MFs on my points unless I knew I would have to pay for OTU points or transferred points down the road.

Anything more, I would personally feel like I was making money off the deal. If I was going to ask for OTU price, I’d have her actually buy those and keep my own.

If it were my sister, I'd charge her the cost of MFs on those 30 points, which is what it would cost her to use her own points, right? (Or MFs plus purchase cost, if you want to get picky.) If it were a different family member, especially if they asked to use my points, then I'd look to charge OTU points cost or even rental points cost, depending on how close I was to them.
Ok...thought I had all the abbreviations down...MF? LOL...

I think in this scenario I would think about how much I would need to pay for a cash room to go to Disney because I couldn't use those points. For example a night or 2 at the swan/dolphin or a room off site. So maybe $400ish?? :confused3

Not with the 50% rule, locked up in another vacation.
If she transferred 30 points to you in the next UY, you’d have those points next UY, and then you could use 30 points this year to cover her.

Otherwise, I personally would have her buy 24 OTU points and then pay at least MFs to cover the remaining 6 points.

Thanks!!
fair price btwn $10-19… big spread.
Family on the low end?

Thanks for all the suggestions. I think I will charge her a price per point, cash and be done. OTU fees because it doesn't cover the entire and then there is transferring going on would be a pain-my other sister is transferring already and with the 1X per year transfer rule...I'm just not up to anything that causes me more of a headache.:confused3, or extra steps. Plus OTU fees seem high per point, I am leaning towards 15 pp. She has limited points so even waiting till next use year she would be in a pickle trying to find 30 extra points.
Stay well!!

Can she just "owe" you 30 points. like when available transfer 30 points to you at that time and call it even? If not, I think a fair price to charge her is $15/pt.

If she transfers them back to you then maybe give her the $450 back.

It gets kind of iffy with family. We normally book 2 studios when DH and I visit WDW because my middle daughter loves it just as much as I do. We don't charge her. She is paying for our rooms in May (POFQ). We have not stayed at POFQ in many many years.

good luck, OP.

If it was my sister, I wouldn't charge anything. If you really need those extra 30 points, why don't you just have her use 30 of her points when you are ready to book, whenever that may be if you need to keep it all exactly even.

OR, if it is a quick sister's trip and you are within 7 months, just use most of the OTU points and have her pay for those and you/your other sister make up the rest.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter