Opinion on my DL plans

ajb_tic_tac

Earning My Ears
We come over from the UK in May to spend time in LA, Anaheim and San Francsico.

We are planning on being in Anaheim 10th May to 19th May (9 nights). I have been to Disneyland before - a very quick trip which wasn't the focus of our stay in California.

I feel we have got a great deal on the JW Marriott hotel and even though this is not the closest to Disneyland I feel becuase we will have a couple of "free days" it might be a nice hotel to hang around - any differing opinions on this?

I will want to do a day at Knotts Berry Farm as we are both Theme Park park fans. I think I have decided on a 5 day park hopper ticket for Disneyland. I sometimes think I may be over allocating time for Disneyland but we are both big Disney Fans and love our holidays to WDW. We are both late 40's (childless - yes we are "that" adult childless couple that like Disney) and enjoy not only the rides, but stopping to "smell the roses", dining and having fun together.

I look at Disneyland Resort and between the two parks it seems so chock full of attractions compared to each park at WDW that I think 5 days is going to be great. However, has anybody ever booked 5 days and regretted it? I keep wondering whether 3 or even 4 days is a better time but then the price difference between 4 and 5 days is so minimal that is seems crazy not to do 5 days if you have the time.

Any comments, whether to reassure my thinking is correct or to let me know something I may not have considred would be very much appreicated.

Theoretically you can do everything in about 2 days BUT you will be running around trying not to miss anything, if you have the time for 5 days go for it. You'll have a much easier pace and will be able to re-ride your favorites, shop and enjoy the ambiance without feeling the pressure of your time running out.

We always do 5 day tickets at DLR and we have never regretted it. They do have a ton of attractions packed in. Usually, it winds up more as 4 to 4 1/2 days for us, because we typically hit a park on arrival day and departure days. I would absolutely go ahead and spend the difference between 4 and 5 days as it isn't much and you will have the flexibility.

Five days will be so great! Plenty of time to see and do a lot without all the pressure to “get it all done” before your days run out.

I haven’t stayed at the JW Marriott yet but I’ve heard great things. It’s one of (maybe THE) newest and nicest hotels in the area and I would stay there in a heartbeat if the option arose.

I think your plan sounds perfect, to be honest. I mean, I can't tell you 5 days is "too much" at Disneyland. I go about 50 days a year. There is no such thing as too much.

The JW Marriott is a beautiful hotel and I think it is a great place for a home base for 2 adults who are looking to relax.

In addition to Knotts, you may want to consider Universal Hollywood. It's a great park that can be done in one day. If you've never done it, the tram tour is worth the price of admission alone.

We are planning on being in Anaheim 10th May to 19th May (9 nights). I have been to Disneyland before - a very quick trip which wasn't the focus of our stay in California.

I feel we have got a great deal on the JW Marriott hotel and even though this is not the closest to Disneyland I feel becuase we will have a couple of "free days" it might be a nice hotel to hang around - any differing opinions on this?

I will want to do a day at Knotts Berry Farm as we are both Theme Park park fans. I think I have decided on a 5 day park hopper ticket for Disneyland. I sometimes think I may be over allocating time for Disneyland but we are both big Disney Fans and love our holidays to WDW. We are both late 40's (childless - yes we are "that" adult childless couple that like Disney) and enjoy not only the rides, but stopping to "smell the roses", dining and having fun together.

I look at Disneyland Resort and between the two parks it seems so chock full of attractions compared to each park at WDW that I think 5 days is going to be great. However, has anybody ever booked 5 days and regretted it? I keep wondering whether 3 or even 4 days is a better time but then the price difference between 4 and 5 days is so minimal that is seems crazy not to do 5 days if you have the time.

Any comments, whether to reassure my thinking is correct or to let me know something I may not have considred would be very much appreicated.
I have never regretted doing 5 days. I have a magic key and I still do 4-5 days at Disney every trip. I don’t just like to do everything once, I want to do everything a bunch! For example last trip I did Rise 14 times, Space 13 times, Guardians 17 times, etc and it was great! Knott’s is fun for 1 day and honestly I might do it before Disney because you won’t realize yet just how much better Disney is (cleanliness, friendliness, line efficiency, etc) and you’ll have a better time

Five days will really give you time to enjoy it, though I would say it might be a little long if more shows haven't returned. Hopefully by May they will have, and in that case, I'd say it will be wonderful! Just relax and enjoy, and intersperse soem "off days" of days to do other things. It'll be great!

Also, nothing wrong with being in yoru 40s and loving Disney! 😁

Sounds like a great plan. 5 days at Disneyland will allow you to do all your favorites more than once and have plenty of time to enjoy leisurely lunches or afternoon breaks at your hotel.

What are you trying to see and do in the Los Angeles area? Are you going to stay in Anaheim the full time and drive up to LA for day trips or change your home base for that part of the trip?

Sounds like a great plan. 5 days at Disneyland will allow you to do all your favorites more than once and have plenty of time to enjoy leisurely lunches or afternoon breaks at your hotel.

What are you trying to see and do in the Los Angeles area? Are you going to stay in Anaheim the full time and drive up to LA for day trips or change your home base for that part of the trip?

Hello Becca

We fly in on the Saturday and we will stay in the "LA" area for 3 nights. My partner really wants to tour a movie studio so hoping to be able to get a tour of Warner Bros. or something similar. Universal would be ideal for me but he is looking for something a bit more "guided" and in a small group.

Then we will base ourselves in Anaheim before ending our trip with a couple of nights in San Francisco.

It is a very big trip for us that we have looked forward too for years. Last year we managed to book a really good flight deal for May 2022 with Virgin Atlantic and so took the plunge and got it booked.

I have never regretted doing 5 days. I have a magic key and I still do 4-5 days at Disney every trip. I don’t just like to do everything once, I want to do everything a bunch! For example last trip I did Rise 14 times, Space 13 times, Guardians 17 times, etc and it was great! Knott’s is fun for 1 day and honestly I might do it before Disney because you won’t realize yet just how much better Disney is (cleanliness, friendliness, line efficiency, etc) and you’ll have a better time

Thank you for the Knott's information. Will definitely do this first to keep the anticipation of going to DL after.

Wow! All those times on the attractions. That would be awesome. I go into overdrive looking forward to a corn dog!

Yes, I am keeping an eye on more of the big shows returning. My fingers are crossed for Fantasmic and World of Color. I really hope we get to see at least one of these.

I don't think 5 days is too much if you really like the parks.

There's just the feeling sometimes that it's hard to maximize five days because most people I know won't want to wake up early by the 3rd day and people who mostly care about rides would start re-riding things by then. You may also want to spend a day at Universal Studios instead of Disneyland just to change things up and have more variety. I recommend putting rest days in between your park days so you can have enough energy on your last few park days.

Hello Becca

We fly in on the Saturday and we will stay in the "LA" area for 3 nights. My partner really wants to tour a movie studio so hoping to be able to get a tour of Warner Bros. or something similar. Universal would be ideal for me but he is looking for something a bit more "guided" and in a small group.

Then we will base ourselves in Anaheim before ending our trip with a couple of nights in San Francisco.

It is a very big trip for us that we have looked forward too for years. Last year we managed to book a really good flight deal for May 2022 with Virgin Atlantic and so took the plunge and got it booked.

That is a good way to do it as you won't have to spend as much time in traffic between LA and Anaheim. As someone else mentioned you might do Knotts on the day you transition from LA to Anaheim, and don't skip the fried chicken dinner.
WB is a great studio tour (not sure if anyone has gone post pandemic who can chime in if it has changed at all). Universal is fun but if you have been to Universal in Florida it will be underwhelming.
The California Science Center is another fun LA area excursion, it is really cool to see the space shuttle up close.

My partner really wants to tour a movie studio so hoping to be able to get a tour of Warner Bros. or something similar.

Warner Brothers is best if you want a behind the scenes look of an actual real working movie studio. Universal's tour is more of a theme park ride (or it at least it was when I did it. The tour might have changed).

Since you mentioned San Fransisco, consider visiting the Walt Disney Family Museum. It is fantastic and a must see for Disney fans.

We do 12-14 days at Christmas each year. Never regret it. (We also do a 3 day weekend every 6 weeks or so.) Even if you are just relaxing and taking it all in, it makes me smile just being there. We have friends we took a year ago on what we called an "Adult Trip". They had never seen what we call "Turtle-topia" before. (The lagoon by BTMRR exit.) We showed them "Our Disneyland". While they had been APs for years, they had kids and had always done "Ride ride ride." They have actually been back with us numerous times since then, and have told others "You have to do trips with them, so much more relaxing." 5 days, you can slow your pace and take things in. Check out all the windows. Listen to the sounds. It can be so much more relaxing.

Thank you for the Knott's information. Will definitely do this first to keep the anticipation of going to DL after.

Wow! All those times on the attractions. That would be awesome. I go into overdrive looking forward to a corn dog!
Yeah the trick to do all those rides is be there before open and until close (if you can even possibly handle that lol) and buy genie+ and take advantage of the system giving you bonus lightning lanes valid on a bunch of rides when a ride goes down 😂

My thoughts are taking the time to see it all is best. So many times we have taken vacation only to find out if we would of spent just one more day…enjoy the 5 days!

Depends how you vacation. At DLR, I could spend 2 days without even going on a single attraction. I just love the sights/sounds/smells (except near the bathrooms at NOS). For a family/couple vacation, nothing less than 3 nights 4 days would probably meet our style.

I always find myself wanting more days when I go to DL for 4 days !! I always feel like there is more that I want to do/didn't get to. It is so nice to take it easy, look around, listen and stop and smell the roses !!
You will have a great time !!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter