• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Opening day prices compared to later date prices?

Iris1974

Dis Veteran
Hi,

I was wondering if opening day prices for a certain year cost less than later in the previous years prices. Meaning if you get a price later in one year and the opening day prices for the same time in the next year could the price be less? I'm waiting like everyone else for fall/winter 2023 prices to come out and wonder if the price could be less than fall/winter 2022 at this time of year being June 2022? I don't know if this makes sense. If you can understand my skewed logic can anyone answer this for me? I'm trying to figure our finances for this cruise which will be my first cruise and also a solo cruise. TIA. :)

Scott of the Disney Cruise Line Blog captures opening day pricing af each release. Here’s a link to that search on his Blog. You can do some comparisons - ie opening day for fall/winter 2022 to today’s pricing, and opening day fall/winter 2021 to 2022. (Use the prior post link at the bottom to see older posts.) He captures for 2 adults at the lowest price per category - ie for verandah csbins, the higher the deck the higher the cost. But it will give you a general idea of pricing changes to help in your decision-making. Good luck and happy cruising!

https://disneycruiselineblog.com/?s=Opening+day&submit=Search

Yes, since opening day prices are the cheapest, you could pay a lower price on opening day for a 2023 cruise than the current pricing of a similar 2022 cruise. The dates also matter, if the 2023 is over a holiday and the 2022 isn't the 2023 may cost more. Also, since prices increase every year, this year's opening prices will be higher than last year's.

It all varies so much by intinerary/dates etc. For example, we booked a Mediterranean cruise in 2023 on opening day and it was pricier than a similar itinerary in 2022, but better dates later in the summer when more schools are out, and I think there is more demand for Europe next year given all the uncertanty with travel and covid this year.

Even same dates, for a basic Bahamas itinerary can vary year over year depending on when school breaks are eg labor day, jersey week, fall break).

You should also see if GT rates are available for this fall as if you are willing to play room roulette that would likely be cheaper than opening day pricing for next year.

Thank you for your replies. I decided today to have my travel agent book me on a 4 night HOTHS cruise in September 2023 on The Wish. I picked the last full week it sails in September. This is my 1st cruise and it will be a solo cruise. I love Halloween and think it would be fun to go and see the new Pumpkin Tree they have on The Wish. It was a good price for me. I felt a solo VMT cruise would be too depressing to do without someone with me. I'll go on a VMT cruise in the future. I'm really excited about the HOTHS cruise though. I don't mind being alone. I'll make my own fun. I'm an extrovert so I won't have a hard time talking to other people. This cruise is 10 years in the making for me. I started out with DCL sweepstakes in 2013. I won a 3rd prize in my 1st sweepstakes but nothing bigger than that. I only enter them once in a while now just for fun. I couldn't find anybody to go with me for years and decided recently to go on a solo cruise. So this is really exciting for me. I hope it becomes a regular thing for me. Thanks again for all the help. :)

Right now, it is cheaper to book a later VGT rate than opening day rate for some cruises. We booked the October 8 night on the fantasy on opening day. Just changed to a VGT rate and saved $1300.

We booked a 3 day on the Wish for summer 2023 and the prices are the same today as they were on opening day. We also booked the 5 night double dip on the Fantasy and the price has only increased by $300. It seems like the demand for next summer is low. As a result, I’m hoping for VGT rates in the future🤞

Pricing will also depend on if you are a FL Resident or Military or Canadian resident booking by taking advantage of one of those rates when they are offered on a sailing. Also, sometimes a restricted room IGT, OGT or VGT is cheaper than the opening day prices because of the restrictions related to those fare classes. Holidays and timing also matter a lot. In theory, the opening day prices stay the same for a bit but availability of rooms to select goes down as people book up rooms.

Currently, opening day prices have not been lower and I seriously doubt they will be in 2023. In case you haven't noticed were headed into a recession.

Hi,

I was wondering if opening day prices for a certain year cost less than later in the previous years prices. Meaning if you get a price later in one year and the opening day prices for the same time in the next year could the price be less? I'm waiting like everyone else for fall/winter 2023 prices to come out and wonder if the price could be less than fall/winter 2022 at this time of year being June 2022? I don't know if this makes sense. If you can understand my skewed logic can anyone answer this for me? I'm trying to figure our finances for this cruise which will be my first cruise and also a solo cruise. TIA. :)
You can't compare previous years because we are not living in normal times. Nothing about the last two years has been normal and nothing about the current year or next year is going to be normal.

Right now, it is cheaper to book a later VGT rate than opening day rate for some cruises. We booked the October 8 night on the fantasy on opening day. Just changed to a VGT rate and saved $1300.
Us too on the October 10 Dream, saved $1800!

I booked this cruise. When it was released I wanted to book it, but even with a placeholder it was out of my comfort zone. I booked the OGT restricted rate a couple of weeks ago and today I’m looking at the 6 night after it….so one cruise is Halloween and the other is holidays.

so wanted to say the opening day prices were much higher than these restricted fares being released. But so tempting, I’ve got to stop looking. May be calling my TA tomorrow to make my 8 night into a b2b with the 6 night… my Christmas present to ourselves.

I booked this cruise. When it was released I wanted to book it, but even with a placeholder it was out of my comfort zone. I booked the OGT restricted rate a couple of weeks ago and today I’m looking at the 6 night after it….so one cruise is Halloween and the other is holidays.

so wanted to say the opening day prices were much higher than these restricted fares being released. But so tempting, I’ve got to stop looking. May be calling my TA tomorrow to make my 8 night into a b2b with the 6 night… my Christmas present to ourselves.
We booked opening day with a placeholder for the 8 night - cat 4E - 2 adults - $4900. Just booked the same cruise VGT for $3600. So in this case, booking later is most definitely cheaper. And I thought the $4900 original price was cheap. We paid more than that for the same cruise the last 2 times it sailed!

We thought about adding the 6 night also, but decided the book the 9 night next month instead!

We booked opening day with a placeholder for the 8 night - cat 4E - 2 adults - $4900. Just booked the same cruise VGT for $3600. So in this case, booking later is most definitely cheaper. And I thought the $4900 original price was cheap. We paid more than that for the same cruise the last 2 times it sailed!

We thought about adding the 6 night also, but decided the book the 9 night next month instead!

i normally booked 4E too! I’m at the point if I can’t have the extended veranda I’m fine booking oceanview. No other veranda compares.

We booked OGT for this cruise cause it was the same price as our verandah room for 4 nights on the Wish. I decided we’d be fine with ocean view since it’s just me and a 3 year old and I couldn’t pass up going on a cruise twice as long for a nearly identical price! Sad to be missing the hype of the Wish but super excited for 8 nights on the Fantasy (which is still a new ship for us since I’ve only been on the Magic 20+ years ago and DD has never been on a cruise ship) the GT rates were fantastic for that cruise!

You can't compare previous years because we are not living in normal times. Nothing about the last two years has been normal and nothing about the current year or next year is going to be normal.
I agree with this. DCL kept their fares "normal" but cruising hasn't fully resume to "normal" and the demand simply isn't there for price point. DCL is now needing to offer *GT and other discounts just to fill the ships, at a considerable discount. Holiday cruises may not see as much discount, but I think most regular season cruises are likely.

I agree with this. DCL kept their fares "normal" but cruising hasn't fully resume to "normal" and the demand simply isn't there for price point. DCL is now needing to offer *GT and other discounts just to fill the ships, at a considerable discount. Holiday cruises may not see as much discount, but I think most regular season cruises are likely.
I don't think demand will ever return at least not at the price point DCL was used to selling cruises. There are a lot of options in the family market for less money. The economy is also going to be a factor.

I was happy to see the holiday cruise I’ve been watching, go *GT. So looking at a b2b in November now. (My first cruise will be Halloween and second holidays). I know I have to change rooms since both my rooms are/will be *GT, but since we might still be testing between cruises, I guess it’s good to pack up anyhow vs a CM packing for you if it doesn’t go well.

I was happy to see the holiday cruise I’ve been watching, go *GT. So looking at a b2b in November now. (My first cruise will be Halloween and second holidays). I know I have to change rooms since both my rooms are/will be *GT, but since we might still be testing between cruises, I guess it’s good to pack up anyhow vs a CM packing for you if it doesn’t go well.
I wouldn't be sailing on DCL in Europe this Summer if they didn't offer the GT rates. I want to do a Greek Isles next year, but I'm holding out to see what happens.

I‘ve never rebooked before! If I’m using a DU TA, I would contact her, cancel the booking and rebook a VGT rate? Will the deposit money just transfer? Thank you!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

Latest posts

facebook twitter