Open Letter to the Guy Who *Purposefully and Gratuitously* Screamed in the Haunted Mansion Elevator

Piglet99645

DIS Veteran
You are an asshat.

Do you just want attention?

I got my autistic son on the ride for the first time in 10 years this morning. We even waited in line while it was broken down. He was ready to try it again. I had prepared him for the elevator. Not for the guy next to us to scream bloody murder in the dark after the recorded scream.
He was so rattled he bolted when we got to the Doombuggies and couldn’t sit in the middle. I haven’t seen him since.

I hope you choke on your lunch.

Edited to add: I’m not here to explain autism or justify my parenting. Nor do I need parenting advice. Anybody who screams in a dark crowded elevator purely for fun is an idiot. Even my kid knows not to do that. The difference between the recorded scream as part of the ride and a live person right next to you screaming a 5 second blood curdling scream for no reason is obvious. I don’t care if it’s before or after the jumpscare. It’s bad behavior.

The ignore button is quite useful. Does it work both ways?

Last edited:
That's just horrible! I'm praying that you find your son soon and that all is well. I know that Disney will do it's utmost to locate him for you.

Some people just don't stop to think before they do something they think is cute or 'clever'. It's a lesson to us all that thoughtless actions can have awful consequences for other people.

I hate when people do that and it does seem to happen a lot on HM. Some of the superfans don't realize that they are ruining it for others. It's one thing to react or give a little squeal, but the folks who are waiting for that moment to let out an earth-shattering scream are really doing a disservice to everyone else in the room.

I've been in the stretching room where someone recited the whole spiel out loud and then did a blood curdling scream. It's so rude to do that to other people. We get it. You like the Haunted Mansion and you've ridden it a million times. Recite it in your head and leave us out of your lame performance.

Sorry. Didn’t mean to alarm. He’s 20 but on the spectrum so I worry. But he turned off his location so I knew he didn’t want me to follow him. He texted us to have a good time. I scored Webslingers for this afternoon for him.

8 or 20, on the spectrum or not, we moms definitely worry (and have every right to) when our children are upset. I’m glad you scored Webslingers. I’m bummed that HM was ruined for you. I hate, hate, hate when people scream in the elevator!

I am really sorry that happened to you. People are so self absorbed sometimes. Last week on Pirates three people behind us loudly started talking about their plans for the next day. It really ruined the ambiance of floating past Blue Bayou and the rest of that scene. They continued to gab loudly the entire duration of the ride. I’m not sure why they were riding it because they weren’t even paying attention to the ride. It was annoying, especially since Pirates is one of my very favorite rides and it was my first time riding it in a year and and half. I kept thinking how much worse it would have been if I was a first-time visitor. Sadly, people really just don’t think about how their behavior is affecting others.

I am really sorry that happened to you. People are so self absorbed sometimes. Last week on Pirates three people behind us loudly started talking about their plans for the next day. It really ruined the ambiance of floating past Blue Bayou and the rest of that scene. They continued to gab loudly the entire duration of the ride. I’m not sure why they were riding it because they weren’t even paying attention to the ride. It was annoying, especially since Pirates is one of my very favorite rides and it was my first time riding it in a year and and half. I kept thinking how much worse it would have been if I was a first-time visitor. Sadly, people really just don’t think about how their behavior is affecting others.
I’ve had that happen on pirates, too. A guy in line was being really loud and rude. When we got to the front I asked the CM not to put him in the same boat as us. She put him in the row behind me.

Thank you all for saying nice things. Single parenting in the parks is tough. Sorry I apparently swore in my first post. I didn’t consider it a swear word but somebody did.

I'm sorry you had that experience. I would have to say that just about every single time I go to ride HM or ToT when the lights go out for a moment some idiot screams bloody murder because they think it's cute. I watched a woman slap her boyfriend/husband (whatever he was to her) one time when we got in the small room at ToT right before the TV came on. When the lights went out he screamed and laughed a little bit because he thought it was funny. The girl he was with slapped him and looked pretty ticked off with him as she walked in front of him not talking to him. I don't think she was concerned about us but I think he scared her and she didn't like that. Either way, it was a win for everyone else and it was the only thing that was funny at that moment.

The Pirates one drives me crazy. Why do people ride if they are just going to loudly chat about other stuff the entire time? You don’t need to wait in line to do that! Just find a bench or table and talk away!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter