ooops, I didn't mean to send that to you

A word of warning.... if you receive a text from a stranger out of the blue and reply that it is a wrong number, don't let the person draw you into a conversation about this being a "beautiful misunderstanding" and "you seem like a kind person", "maybe we can be friends", etc., because it's a scam. Eventually they will try to draw you into a conversation about investments or try to get you to send them money some other way (for example by buying Apple gift cards). See the Reddit "scams" forum for MANY examples of this.

I once worked in a team with a lot of tension. We were definitely not in a good place together. And our supervisor got the brilliant idea that we all had to write an appraisal for each other.

I got an e-mail from a colleague, who I had tense relationship with, saying: "can I say this about her?" And then a character trait that made it very clear her remark was about me, and she had intended to send to a third colleague. Her brain messed up and she put my name in the to-field.

I e-mailed her she could, as the character trait was nothing new, nothing I hadn't heard before.
She was incredibly embarrassed and apologized. I had a good chuckle out of this, and to be honest, it did improve our relationship. Only not how our supervisor intended it.

A word of warning.... if you receive a text from a stranger out of the blue and reply that it is a wrong number, don't let the person draw you into a conversation about this being a "beautiful misunderstanding" and "you seem like a kind person", "maybe we can be friends", etc., because it's a scam. Eventually they will try to draw you into a conversation about investments or try to get you to send them money some other way (for example by buying Apple gift cards). See the Reddit "scams" forum for MANY examples of this.
Very good reminder.

I would say that 99% of my unsolicited texts from strangers are from investors trying to buy one of my houses. I don't respond to them either.

Yeah, if it's a number I don't know and they don't identify or explain themselves at all I don't respond. Just yesterday I got a random "Hey, how's your day?". Nope.

This was my thought too when I clicked the thread. I don't respond to texts from people I don't know as a lot of them are scams. Lately I get ones such as "Are you still coming over tomorrow, Jenny?" My name isn't Jenny so I know it's not intended for me.

I also occasionally get those Whatspp cryptocurrency texts which I immediately report as spam and block.

My wife and I got a text the other day with friends of ours (the four of us have a group chat) that was clearly for their kids' group chat. I debated saying anything (it wasn't anything embarrasing or something like that), but being close friends, I figured it wouldn't be a big deal to point out that she sent the message to the wrong group chat. As others have said, if she thought she sent it to one of her kids and didn't know it went to the right person, she'd appreciate knowing that so she could resend.

My first smartphone had this glitch where it would accidentally blind copy people on texts at random. It happened to me several times and I'd read that it was a known bug on that model that had no fix. It wouldn't show the intended recipient to the unintended one, so the one that got the text in error would just assume I was texting them. In any event, the worst was it copying my boss on a vacation plans text to my husband. My boss sent me back a funny text about checking with his wife, so I guess his professional approach was humor. I got a new phone after that trip!

I had someone send me a let's just call it 'spicy' text once obviously meant for their partner and most certainly not *me.* I texted back that I was flattered but expected to at least be bought dinner first . We laughed it off, because we're good friends- but imagine sending something like that to your mother or your boss.

I had someone send me a let's just call it 'spicy' text once obviously meant for their partner and most certainly not *me.* I texted back that I was flattered but expected to at least be bought dinner first . We laughed it off, because we're good friends- but imagine sending something like that to your mother or your boss.
I'll one up you on that. I sent a "spicy" text to my son by mistake :oops: It was more "flirty" than "spicy" but we got a heck of an "eeewwww" for it.

If you receive a text meant for someone else, do you ignore it, respond to let them know they sent it to you by mistake, or go on Disboards and talk about it?

I was texting back and forth with my Doctor's assistant/nurse/tech (not really sure her title) and she was updating me on the status of my insurance approval for a new medicine. I responded to her text and then received a text clearly meant for her mother (unless her new nickname for me is "Mom").

I hesitated and then responded with a joke about not being her mother. She has not texted back. The information she shared was something that should not have been shared with a patient (but nothing confidential).

Would you have ignored it and let them realize it on their own or would you have said something?
I probably would've texted back letting her know.

One time I texted my coworker about how a different manager gave us a compliment and thanked us and our boss never makes us feel appreciated. Yep I sent it to my boss. He didn’t respond.

Same co worker different boss: I send something to co worker and he responds like wth? But other letter at end. He sent it to our boss. Our boss is like what happened? Co worker sends oh that wasn’t for you sorry. Our boss: oh you must be texting mylilnikita. Lol

I would let them know. But in the bigger picture, surprised a Doctor's office would text anything about you. Mine only will talk to you on the phone, after verifying your name and DOB, or e-mail you on their secure Epic website.
They did experiment with an app during the pandemic but dropped it due to HIPAA concerns.

I would let them know. But in the bigger picture, surprised a Doctor's office would text anything about you. Mine only will talk to you on the phone, after verifying your name and DOB, or e-mail you on their secure Epic website.
They did experiment with an app during the pandemic but dropped it due to HIPAA concerns.
We are plain country folk, we don't worry about HIPAA :D

We are plain country folk, we don't worry about HIPAA :D
Forgive me, I spent last week with my wife's cousin who is a HIPAA Computer Compliance Analyst for a hospital. The stories he tells.

Forgive me, I spent last week with my wife's cousin who is a HIPAA Computer Compliance Analyst for a hospital. The stories he tells.
I used to work for EMS and part of my job was teaching HIPAA when on boarding new employees only to have my supervisor come in and tell war stories, violating all the rules I had just gone over.

I once worked in a team with a lot of tension. We were definitely not in a good place together. And our supervisor got the brilliant idea that we all had to write an appraisal for each other.

I got an e-mail from a colleague, who I had tense relationship with, saying: "can I say this about her?" And then a character trait that made it very clear her remark was about me, and she had intended to send to a third colleague. Her brain messed up and she put my name in the to-field.

I e-mailed her she could, as the character trait was nothing new, nothing I hadn't heard before.
She was incredibly embarrassed and apologized. I had a good chuckle out of this, and to be honest, it did improve our relationship. Only not how our supervisor intended it.
This sort of thing happened between 2 teachers at my school. Teacher A thought she was texting teacher B about teacher C, but she accidentally sent it to teacher C. Talk about awkward.

Last week I took a short trip with some friends. We didn’t mention it to some other friends because we wanted to keep the group small, but several of our friends get very offended when they aren’t included in everything. We all agreed to just keep quiet about it. Well, what did silly me do? I sent a text to the wrong group text conversation while in my way to meet the travel group. I asked if anyone had a spare umbrella because I forgot mine. I covered it over by saying oops wrong group. 🤦‍♀️🤦‍♀️

My SIL accidentally sent a text meant for my MIL to me b!tching about me 🤣

I sent her a reply saying “Was there something you wanted to tell me?” Funnily enough she didn’t reply that time.

I used to work for EMS and part of my job was teaching HIPAA when on boarding new employees only to have my supervisor come in and tell war stories, violating all the rules I had just gone over.
It is my understanding that HIPAA is to protect "individuals" from others knowing about their physical problems. Unless names are used the war stories are just scenarios about events not identifying a specific individual and not a violation. There is a huge difference between that and giving out information about a specific person. If it is specific than it is a violation.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter