Only hawaii trip would you do it or wait

KGmomoftwins

DIS Veteran
Hello! Looking for a little advice. We were supposed to do our big Hawaii trip August 2020 and well no need to elaborate on that. Our family was one of the lucky ones the only money I lost was a Airbnb service fee for our big Island stay. Our airline money was all returned and everything else was cancelled so very lucky. This summer we are supposed to do a DCL Alaska cruise hard to believe booked in February of 2020 using a place holder that expires this August and well I’ve lost all hope that this is going to happen and well my family desperately needs a vacation and I feel as if I’m losing out on valuable time with my little girls. My question is would you do your families ONLY trip to Hawaii the last 2 weeks in August this year? I would keep the same plan I had as last year 4 nights first on the big Island (might bump it to 5) and 7 nights on Oahu staying the entire time at Aulani. Our girls will be turning 9 in August and I’m a little worried about such a long flight (east coast) with masks on although the girls and I wear them everyday for 7 hours to go to school. Would you plan to do this big of a trip given all the extras of testing before and we would also need to test when we returned, and with Aulani amenities being limited. Or just do another trip on your bucket list that was not so involved? I really want to do our cruise but I don’t think it’s going to happen and I don’t want to waste another summer of their childhood. Hawaii or something else…. Side not if we don’t do Hawaii this year we probably won’t get there for another 4 years.

They’ll be 13. What a perfect age for them to go! I would say better age. We’ve done some traveling during all this, and even if I’m getting 90% of what you would normally get out of a vacation it still feels like I’m losing out . 😕 Why not wait?

If it's your only visit to Hawaii, I'd wait until things are more normal.

Everyone is different, I get that. We did Maui before kids in 2007 and it was amazing. Now, we have daughters (9 and 6) and I definitely want to take them to Hawaii one day. But, Hawaii isn't on my radar personally for at least 5 years. I don't think my kids would appreciate Hawaii (or Europe) enough at their age. The Caribbean would be a better value for the kiddos...

If you wait what would you instead? We have booked Maui and Oahu for end of June and it will be our first visit to Hawaii also from the east coast. We had this trip booked for last May prior to Hawaii to Vancouver cruise until the world shut down. We are pretty low key and will beach, hike, Pearl Harbor and other outdoor activities. We are just excited to be leaving our living room after almost a year and realize we are very fortunate to still be able to travel. It really comes down to what you want to do while in Hawaii and if you can still do it under current restrictions.

If you wait what would you instead?
We would do a New England road trip ending up in Acadia (Bar harbour Maine). I think the girls would not care for this as much as us. In Hawaii our plans on the BI would be Volcanos and hiking some of the waterfalls. On Oahu our plans last year were 3 days at the resort for beach and pool, Pearl Harbor, drive to the north shore, wild side dolphin excursion, and Hanauma bay. We've done the Caribbean once on DCL and once to St. Thomas when the girls were younger and that was so nice.

I would say 9 is the perfect age for Aulani, and that by 13 they may just be reaching the stage of being over the Disney fun. We took our son to Hawaii at age 9 and he loved it. One of our best non-Disney park holidays ever. We also did big island for 4 days and again 9 was a great age for sense of wonder for waterfalls and volcanos. But we did explore more of Oahu than just Aulani, we did love our time Aulani and can’t wait to go back. We too planned to go back in 2020 and our hopes were dashed and being Aussies we can’t hope to come back until probably late 2022 or even 2023 when I fear our son might be too old to enjoy Aulani as much.

unless you have equally exciting holiday plans I would say go for it, if you feel it is safe enough by then.

My oldest was born on Oahu, and I started taking my kids back at 4 and 6 (and I flew home alone with them). They had a fabulous time (no, they recall not a lot of that trip, but we went with friends and we did, and I have such wonderful photos of my kids running into the ocean at Waikiki together). I even flew with my oldest solo back to the mainland when he was 6 months old for a 3 week trip to visit family. So, age is not a concern really; you plan what YOU want; the kids will have fun no matter what. I’m also on the East Coast, and after a couple other trips back, we bought at the Marriott Ko Olina, so my kids have been back many times and love it there. The lagoons are amazing, and my kids learned to snorkel there when they were little. Even though Aulani wasn’t there, they wouldn’t have had any desire, as Hawaii and Disney to us are totally different vacations.

That being said, if you want to go, I’d go. I have some vacations that weren’t always perfect, but the only vacation I regret are ones that I haven’t taken.

When my oldest was 4 months old, we did a week on the Big Island (flew into Kona and out of Hilo), and a week was a good amount of time there (It’s, well, a big island, lol. We chilled mostly in Kona, and stayed at KMC in the park near Hilo. I loved it so much, but I’m sure just a few days would be fine. We went with our friends visiting from the Midwest; they stayed with us a few days before and after in Kailua. I also took him to Maui and Kauai as an infant; Kauai to us was a great weekend trip (it’s a small island); Maui to us was just a nice getaway to stay at a fancy resort for a treat, it‘s not our favorite for exploring but was a splurge to do a Ritz getaway for a week.

If you do go, likely you’ll be back!

I’m somewhere in the middle here. I think if you’re really truly only going once, they’ll be able to do more and remember more at 13 than at 9. But then again, my brother died at 49 so I don’t wait for much anymore. I will warn you though....on the second day of my “once” trip, I swore to my husband we’d be back, and we’re going next year 😄

I'm still a little bit torn the girls and DH want to go so bad. I think it's funny that many have said you will be back! I've said that about destinations before too and we have found our way back to a few. Like many we are watching and waiting. I think that this is something we could book as little as 3 months out since I've already done a lot of the planning. What would you think would be the latest you could book stuff?

Tough call! I could really make an argument either way. The only thing with 13 year olds is that is an age that tends to get bored at Aulani in some cases. They are too old for Aunty's, too young to be unsupervised for any length of time, and there's not much in terms of entertainment or activities for that age. Going while they are still 9, they can take advantage of Aunty's which is honestly one of the biggest draws for families staying at the resort. But, I think a 13 year old would make for a better traveler on such a long journey and would be inclined to have more stamina during sightseeing and other things you'd likely do on your trip.

I really feel for everyone in this position. DH and I made our first visit in 2016 and knew we wanted to return eventually, but we had no idea when we'd be able to (if ever). We were hoping to this year for your 5 year anniversary, but have decided to rule it out until things are more "normal". Even though things are limited, things aren't necessarily cheaper, so we felt like we weren't getting the best value. We've decided to do two weeks at WDW instead, which is a little more closer to normal than Hawaii would be, and it also allows us to be there longer and maximize our time.

A big pro for going now is lower crowds and less traffic.

I would agree to this. All of us who live here are enjoying the less crowds. Now that being said we can tell who is visiting and who isn't. Just respect the kamaaina and those who have become residents in all the hard work they have done to keep numbers low. Don't get me wrong we have had a few spikes.

Most all restaurants are open and taking seated guest particularly in the tourist areas. A few luau are still closed like paradise cove which is right next door to Aulani. But you should also be coming to enjoy the island and learning and sight seeing. All the hikes are open, Pearl Harbor is open to visit. I don't see busses going to the aviation museum but I would imagine that there are a few buses going over there on to the base.

The beaches are opened but again just wear a mask and respect space. Many things are starting to open...is it a little more restrictive and a few things yes...but if you do your research you shouldn't have too many issues.

I would agree to this. All of us who live here are enjoying the less crowds. Now that being said we can tell who is visiting and who isn't. Just respect the kamaaina and those who have become residents in all the hard work they have done to keep numbers low. Don't get me wrong we have had a few spikes.

Most all restaurants are open and taking seated guest particularly in the tourist areas. A few luau are still closed like paradise cove which is right next door to Aulani. But you should also be coming to enjoy the island and learning and sight seeing. All the hikes are open, Pearl Harbor is open to visit. I don't see busses going to the aviation museum but I would imagine that there are a few buses going over there on to the base.

The beaches are opened but again just wear a mask and respect space. Many things are starting to open...is it a little more restrictive and a few things yes...but if you do your research you shouldn't have too many issues.
Thank you! so nice to hear from a local on this! I get it I'm a teacher in upstate NY and wear my mask everyday (very strict here on that) and luckily since DH and I both are considered frontline we will be fully vaccinated by the end of Feb. Pearl Harbor is on our must do but mostly to see the USS Arizona part. I'm thinking we might opt to do a 1 bedroom as to cook most of our meals since we have not dined out at all since this started we have done take out. Mostly we are looking for great beaches and hikes. So I think we will be ok. My one little girl was so funny she goes mommy planes are probably the cleanest they have ever been lol. Thanks again. I wonder if the low crowds will hold true for the end of August?

Thank you! so nice to hear from a local on this! I get it I'm a teacher in upstate NY and wear my mask everyday (very strict here on that) and luckily since DH and I both are considered frontline we will be fully vaccinated by the end of Feb. Pearl Harbor is on our must do but mostly to see the USS Arizona part. I'm thinking we might opt to do a 1 bedroom as to cook most of our meals since we have not dined out at all since this started we have done take out. Mostly we are looking for great beaches and hikes. So I think we will be ok. My one little girl was so funny she goes mommy planes are probably the cleanest they have ever been lol. Thanks again. I wonder if the low crowds will hold true for the end of August?

If you can, also visit the Missouri which is located next to Pearl Harbor.

DH and I are both teachers and have been teaching in person since August with the exception of about 6 weeks. We also wear face masks all day so it will be no problem. We were hoping to get fully vaccinated by our trip but they aren't even going to start with teachers until the end of February/beginning of March.

Have you looked at hiking Diamond Head? If so, I would do it on one of your first days so you're not used to the time change yet. Get there as early as possible so you can hike when it's not hot.

Have you looked at hiking Diamond Head? If so, I would do it on one of your first days so you're not used to the time change yet. Get there as early as possible so you can hike when it's not hot.
The other benefits of going to Diamond Head early in the day are that the trail is not as crowded, which makes it a little easier to pull over and take a break, and also parking may be easier to come by. When arriving later, parking can be challenging and you could end up walking quite a ways before you even reach the base of the actual trail.

OP - everyone has their opinion of Diamond Head. We did it, glad we did, but not something we'd do again and not what I would call a must do. Beautiful views for sure and relatively easy in terms of mountain hikes, but I would still say everyone should be moderately fit/active and able-bodied. Not sure how 9 year olds would fare. I'd also suggest everyone wear the appropriate activewear and sneakers, and be prepared to return to your hotel after for showers. We could not have done anything other than maybe swimming afterwards because we needed showers.

A big pro for going now is lower crowds and less traffic.

A big negative is catching Coronavirus, being hospitalized, possible death, and passing it on to other family members and friends.

I love to travel, too, but the choice is easy for me!

-Paul

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter