Online Check-in

LAS321

When you wish upon a star...
We are finally returning for the first time since Covid. In the past, we never did online check-in but preferred to check in when we arrived in the lobby. Is that still on option or is online check-in mandatory now?
Thanks!

We are finally returning for the first time since Covid. In the past, we never did online check-in but preferred to check in when we arrived in the lobby. Is that still on option or is online check-in mandatory now?
Thanks!

Yes, you can still check-in in person. Doing online check-in can expedite things like getting a card on file and if you have a remaining balance it will automatically charge you that morning rather than having to settle up right there.... but it's certainly not required (although Disney will push a lot of e-mails/notices to you to do it).

Also if you do online check-in you can still also check-in in person - they are not mutually exclusive. Personally that's what I usually do unless I've already received the room ready alert and there's a long line at check-in.

I too always check in on line
Here's why
Checking in online never prevented you from also going to the desk (so many seemed to think that if you did you couldn't do the other)
However, if you don't do online check in you MUST go to the desk
If you show up at the desk to a huge line you are stuck there
However, if you've done online check in and you've gotten your room ready notice you have the option to go on to your room. That option isn't there without online check in.
If it's after a day of long flight delays and wee hours of the morning the last thing you want to deal with is standing at the desk. Especially if it's a resort where you can be dropped right at your building vs. having to go to the lobby.
There are many, many advantages to checking in online, not one single disavantage.
There are disadvantages to waiting simply because you are left with no option but to go to the desk and wait and seeing how you never know what you'll face when you get there you don't know if that's waiting for 1 or 10.
Now a days, they do staff fewer front desk CM, so note that too.

Even when I've had things I know I have to go to the desk to sort out I just go at a time when I see it's not busy instead of doing it at check in.

I no longer check in online unless I have landed or am in Orlando. I had to cancel a trip on the morning of arrival last year (medical related issues) and had checked-in online days before. Unraveling that took HOURS because they had soft-checked me in that morning. I am staying onsite in a few days and will not check in until I, at least, land at MCO.

I do on line check in but still go to the desk. I usually get there early morning around 9am. I always put I’d rather have the room early than my other requests. I’ve never gotten a text before I get to the hotel so I check at the desk. I can see where the room is and if I’m not happy with the location I can ask if anything else is available. They are always willing to work with you.

stealing this thread for a quick question. I arrive at Boardwalk Villa on FEb 11th. Can I online check in now? doing that few days in advance will increase my chances or getting a room ready earlier or not?

stealing this thread for a quick question. I arrive at Boardwalk Villa on FEb 11th. Can I online check in now? doing that few days in advance will increase my chances or getting a room ready earlier or not?

You can do online check in at any point, even if a year before the trip if you want to. I don't think it necessarily gives you any advantage, but it's one less thing to worry about.

doing that few days in advance will increase my chances or getting a room ready earlier or not?
@Pyxie covered the 1st half but yes if you chose an early arrival time (default is 11 AM) choice as your only option and don't mind if any requests that may already be noted on your reservation will be overwritten. You should do it today since your trip is so close.

Dave

The number of days you do it have no bearing on getting a room ready early, or not.
Just doing it does.
If you don't do online check in, they have no time attached and will just about 100% put you in a room early, unless all rooms are ready early. Many guests do ask for one early, so they'll get in line in front of you, if that makes sense.
Rooms are assigned a few days prior to arrival so you don't want to wait till too close.
I always do it as soon as I know what time I'm arriving, usually when I book my flights. Sometimes that's when I book the room, other times I wait a bit.
I like to just go on and get it out of the way.

One item to note, DVC is less likely to get rooms early than Resort rooms. Not impossible just less of a chance. Never hurts to ask. When I've booked DVC I just assume it won't be till 4:00. When I book Resort, I don't assume but I find opposite, most of the time I get the room early. Rarely do I not

You got some good answers already, but it's also worth noting that even if you do online check in you can still go to the front desk when you arrive to see if there's anything available if you haven't gotten the room ready text.

If it's after a day of long flight delays and wee hours of the morning the last thing you want to deal with is standing at the desk.
This is HUGE!!! We did online check in for our Dec. trip. Our flight was 4 1/2 hours late, so we got our room assignment before we ever boarded the plane. When we arrived, the lobby was packed and we were able to walk around all of those lines and go straight to our room. It was perfect!

This is HUGE!!! We did online check in for our Dec. trip. Our flight was 4 1/2 hours late, so we got our room assignment before we ever boarded the plane. When we arrived, the lobby was packed and we were able to walk around all of those lines and go straight to our room. It was perfect!
Agreed, I have always been a huge proponent of online check in ever since it started being an option but it really does come the most in handy when you are delayed like that. I took a July 4th weekend trip at Gran Destino back in 2021, did a half day at work that Friday and left straight for a 4pm flight that didn't take off until almost 8pm due to massive delays. I got my room ready text while I was still sitting at my gate at JFK, lol. But when I finally got to CSR the line at the tower check in was crazy. Fortunately I was able to go straight to my room, drop my bag at my room and hoof it to Epcot in time to catch fireworks.

In the past few years, our personal experience has been rooms available as soon as we get on property (they're stalking, I swear) or earlier, when using mobile checkin. Always having to wait when not. Without fail. That's 2-3 trips a year, some were split stays.

I believe you can indicate an arrival time when doing online check in and they will try to have something ready for you, providing you don't arrive at dawn! If you aren't specific about a location or have a lot of requests, it may be easier to get a room early. If there were unoccupied and inspected rooms the night prior, it's more likely to get a room early. If sold out the night prior, you will have to wait until the housekeeping staff arrive and rooms check out that meet the room type you booked. Occupancy, staffing, and lack of specific requests will increase your chances more than when you do online check in.

Last edited:
In the past few years, our personal experience has been rooms available as soon as we get on property (they're stalking, I swear) or earlier, when using mobile checkin. Always having to wait when not. Without fail. That's 2-3 trips a year, some were split stays.
I almost always get mine upon landing at MCO. Once it happened in the restroom there and I almost dropped my phone in the bowl :crazy: (in my defense I had gotten some pretty amazing pixie dust).

My experience has been I get the text either with a room or a notice that our room isn't quite ready yet at the same time I put as our arrival.
I always put room ready early over location or any other request, unless we are arriving late.
So yeah, I do think they are stalking without a doubt

My last trip, we did a split stay with 5 different hotels (do not recommend, but couldn’t be helped due to some last minute life changes). We received our room ready text 4 out of 5 times within five minutes of chatting with the guard at the gate and parking at the new resort. One of them was even at 11am for a DVC stay! All our room requests (made two in total) were met also.

So yes, I also think they are stalking.

If you have a certain room or building request, you should skip that part with the online check-in and call to add it to your reservation. The online room request is very generic and it also overrides your call in request.

I no longer check in online unless I have landed or am in Orlando. I had to cancel a trip on the morning of arrival last year (medical related issues) and had checked-in online days before. Unraveling that took HOURS because they had soft-checked me in that morning. I am staying onsite in a few days and will not check in until I, at least, land at MCO.
What happened then? Were you able to be refunded or did they at least transfer your deposit to another date, etc?

Did you also happen to get your room requests?

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter