Online Check-In, Yes or No?

We've done online check-in twice. Once at Art of Animation, where we were able to go straight to our room and never had to visit the front desk at all for anything. And once at Coronado Springs, where we went to the front desk to check in because we were super early (like 11am) and so hadn't gotten the room-is-ready text. She was still able to get us into a room, even that early!

I would definitely recommend doing the online check in. In my opinion, there's no downside so why not! :)

I always do online check-in in the hopes that it will help. As an international guest, I still have to go to the front desk anyway to get my magic band (sometimes they fail to code it so have to remind them esp if using Fall Free Dining Plan), pick up any Magic Your Way goodies like mini golf vouchers and no room ready texts sent outside the US. I haven't yet been placed in the resort area or room category that I have checked online so need to spend the time at front desk to ask for room re-assignment. So basically, online check-in has been a bit of a fail for most international guests. Maybe there is some benefit behind the scenes that most of us aren't aware of? I still do it in hopes of eventual improvement.

On one recent trip, we intentionally did not do online check-in (usually we do it and love being able to go directly to our room) so that we could ask about room location/building. However, when our flight landed at MCO, there was a text waiting for me that our room was ready and we could proceed directly to it. Strange. I was traveling with one child under 18 who does not have access to MDE so I was the only one who could have completed the online check-in, and I did not! I still went to the check-in desk (the assigned room was in a location we didn't want) and when I did, I asked about why I had the received the text when I hadn't done online check-in. She didn't seem to have any idea either!

Has this happened to other people who chose not to do online check-in? I think it was just about the only time recently that we haven't used online check-in. It just seemed so strange to me.

On one recent trip, we intentionally did not do online check-in (usually we do it and love being able to go directly to our room) so that we could ask about room location/building. However, when our flight landed at MCO, there was a text waiting for me that our room was ready and we could proceed directly to it. Strange. I was traveling with one child under 18 who does not have access to MDE so I was the only one who could have completed the online check-in, and I did not! I still went to the check-in desk (the assigned room was in a location we didn't want) and when I did, I asked about why I had the received the text when I hadn't done online check-in. She didn't seem to have any idea either!

Has this happened to other people who chose not to do online check-in? I think it was just about the only time recently that we haven't used online check-in. It just seemed so strange to me.

Never had it happen and if you didn't do online check in then the system shouldn't have let it. Is it possible that you did it and just forgot or didn't mean to? Also you only say your child is under 18 but I could see an older child doing it thinking they were helping if they were never told not to. My teenage nephew tends to think he's an adult and doing adult things and they we find out after we have to unravel the mess that he thought he was doing the right thing. This includes people believe he had no access to something but he'll get online and figure out who he needs to call to get things done even if he doesn't have access to the physical account.

I like to do online check in because my rooms have been ready early like at 9am early. its convent and I love going straight to my room. Now if its my first time at the resort I will go to the lobby anyway still like having my room early.

I do think that WDW has worked some of the kinks out of its system the last few years. I've gone with extended family the last four years (we're about to take our fifth trip together), and that first year, I was at YC and was given magic bands as part of their testing phase (only a few resorts had them at that point). We had to check in at the front desk...and this was back when someone was waiting for you with a clip board/tablet when MDE arrived. The next year, same thing (minus the person waiting for me when I got off of MDE). The next year...voila, everyone in our party got room ready texts. The magic bands worked for getting rooms open, though one person in our party had issues connecting their park tickets to their band. Last year...room ready texts, everything that was supposed to be on the magic bands were on them, it all worked seamlessly.

All of that said, I always check in online. If there's an issue with my room assignment, I'll just head to the desk. Last year, I checked the room # that come over on the text against the room maps on touring plans (while on the bus, using my smart phone). The room location was perfect! But if it hadn't been so, I'd simply have gone to the desk when getting off MDE rather than just heading up to my room.

Question on the online check-in: it will not supersede any of the room requests I made when making my reservation, correct? I'm staying at POP and booked a king sized bed preferred room. On online check-in, I requested close to transportation and the 70s building. That won't take me out of a king-sized room, right?

It might. Getting a King request granted is usually a tough one. If they can get you close to transportation in the 70s building but not a king, they will give you that room because it satisfies 2 of your requests.

If you booked a king-size preferred room as a bookable category (i.e. that is what your confirmation says) then your requests will not kick you out. So if there are no king preferred rooms in the 70s building or close to transportation king and preferred will trump request.

King rooms are not a bookable category at any of the Values or Deluxes (well outside of an accessible room anyway), only Moderates.

I do online check in just because it's fun to do it 60 days out! I didn't do requests, but I did set up my card with pin, etc. I don't think they were texting at that time (2014), but someone did meet us in front of the Beach Club as we got off the ME with an ipad to check us in. :)

I have done online check in as long as they have offered it, except for our trip last fall as we were driving into the path of the hurricane(that's a whole different story). Without fail, when the time I said we would arrive rolled around I have received a text saying either our room wasn't ready yet or with my room number. When the text was "not ready yet" , I would receive the text with the room number whenever it was. We usually arrive very early in the morning ranging from 4 am to 8 am, so we plan to head straight to the parks and leave when we get the room number to drop off bags and get unpacked. Once we have received the text we are able to use the returning guest lane at the resort and just scan our bands for entrance.

It might. Getting a King request granted is usually a tough one. If they can get you close to transportation in the 70s building but not a king, they will give you that room because it satisfies 2 of your requests.

King rooms are not a bookable category at any of the Values or Deluxes (well outside of an accessible room anyway), only Moderates.

Thanks wasn't sure if it was newly bookable or not.

On a similar note, how does online check-in work with free resort guest parking for the parks if you arrive at the park early in the AM before your room is ready?

Let's say I have a car and drive to MK early for EMH the same day as my check-in. I know you can still take advantage of EMH as a resort guest on the day of your check-in even before you actually are able to check-in/occupy your room, but do you have to check-in at the resort front desk and receive a physical parking ticket like in the past, or can the cast member at the parking ticket booth just scan your magic band and see you're a resort guest starting that day and allow you to park for free?

On a similar note, how does online check-in work with free resort guest parking for the parks if you arrive at the park early in the AM before your room is ready?

Let's say I have a car and drive to MK early for EMH the same day as my check-in. I know you can still take advantage of EMH as a resort guest on the day of your check-in even before you actually are able to check-in/occupy your room, but do you have to check-in at the resort front desk and receive a physical parking ticket like in the past, or can the cast member at the parking ticket booth just scan your magic band and see you're a resort guest starting that day and allow you to park for free?

Yes, they will scan your Magic Band and you'll be waved on through.

I have not noticed a big difference in time by doing online check in vs. desk check in. Contrary to what people think, you still have to go to the front desk to get your MB coded (even though Disney advertises "skip the front desk" on their website). I have done both online and front desk check-in this year and I still end up giving them some of my personal info like my phone number even though I did online check in. However, I personally recommend online check in because your credit card is (usually) always on file and I like not having to pull out my credit card for incidentals.

Not true (at least not in my case). I've never had to go to the desk to get my band coded. I go right to the park when the plane lands without issue. And I always get the text and email that room is ready while I'm already in the park!

Not an issue... you are free to use parking as soon as you arrive. They just scan your band.

I have a correction! I should have prefaced that I am a local and when we decide to stay at a Disney resort it is usually for one night and the reservation is made less than 30-60 days in advance. This year we booked a 3 night stay at AKL about 90 days out. The stay was great, but online check-in in particular was spectacular! On the day of check-in I received a text at 10 AM from the Disney letting me know that my room was ready. This has never happened before. Needless to say, I didn't go to the front desk at all during the trip.. I apologize for the inaccuracy of my previous post, but in my experience of using online check-in, this has never happened. I wonder if it has to do with how for out you book or how long you stay?... Either way I defiantly recommend online check-in.[/QUOTE]

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter