one parent two kids

wsm

Earning My Ears
Help! i am taking my 2 kids sans husband - 9yr scared of many rides, 7 yr wants to do them all. Is there a safe way to ride with my 7 year old while the 9 yr old waits nearby (with cell phone)? I was wondering if they would let her wait where those who do switching wait, but she would be on her own. A bad idea??
thanks!

The main thing is CMs can NOT take responsability for children- Yes most will make sure the kid doesnt fall in the track but they cannot monitor the childs actions- That said- the main thing is trust- Do you trust your child to walk to the exit and wait by themself in the giftshop? (as most of the big rides do) I assume your child makes all the height reqiremnts for rides (over 48)- They will be able to accompany you in line etc (but be advised if you use FP- they will need their own FP to get in the line etc- As they are taking a spot in the preshow and for appearance sake- So person behind ya doesnt think they are gettin in FP without one etc-

All the rides have a "chicken" exit- Just ask for each ride (Rock n Roller Coasters is to the right of the boarding queue through the yellow door) then your child will have to go unaccompanied through the exit and wait in the gift shop (as its a saftey hazard to have people wait at the exact exit)

My son is 9 and I know he'd be on his best behavior and not cause problems in that event (he's a daredevil though) so I wouldnt have an issue with him in the gift shop for the 5-10 min wait- Some kids wouldnt be okay- it depends on your child-

-em

I would think worst case scenario....let's say you ride with the 7yo and the 9yo is waiting in the gift shop, the ride that you and the 7yo are on breaks down and you are stuck for 15, 30, maybe 45 mins (it happens) would you feel comfortable knowing your 9yo is waiting by himself for all that time?

I'm going to Disney next month with my DS8 and DS5. I'm afraid that my DS8 will want to go on rides that I don't want to (I'm chicken) and that my DS5 can't or won't. I have the dilemma of wondering if I can send my DS8 (almost 9) on the ride while I take the chicken exit or wait just outside for him. He's very friendly and I'm hoping he'll talk to a family in line and they'll be friendly back so that he won't feel alone in line.

I think I'd be a little more hesitant to leave DS8 alone while he waited though. It doesn't seem as safe to me. But in either your situation or mine, it is not ideal. I think for us, we'll probably have to make compromises and all go on the ride or none of us. My DS5 is usually okay if scared because he'll cover his eyes and if loud, I cover his ears, so we might try some shows where he can at least sit in my lap.

I think it is an individual decision where you know your child best.

I've never gone alone, so we'll have to see. I have some reservations about my ability to handle the whole trip w/o DH, but I really, really want to go, and even though my kids don't know yet, I know they will be very excited.

Best of luck to you (and to me!).

I suggest riding the things you can all ride. I had a daughter that was scared of alot of things, but when it came to WDW, totally different. Talke to your 9 year old see if they would try the ride at least once. If the last resort is no, all of you stand in line together and when you board, have your 9 year old, wait at the exit. You have to have trust that your 9 year old won't wander or walk away with others. I know some of the rides at WDW the exit is seperate from boarding you will have to find out what rides these are. I hope all works out!!!
My 12 year old daughter is going on upside down roller coasters for the first time this trip, will see how it ends up:eek:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter