One Last Rant on the State of WDW

revdon64

DIS Veteran
My first trip to WDW was when I was ten years old in 1974. MK was the only park. We camped at Jellystone Park campground in my dad's 1968 Corvair Camper van. I caught the Disney bug early.

Unfortunately, my next trip there wasn't until after I was married; it was November of 1994. 3 days Disney, 4-day Premiere cruise on my in-law's dime. Already I was the planner and frustrated that I couldn't get our group of 12 to all go in the same direction.

2006 was the beginning of a family WDW obsession when DW and I went without kids to celebrate my new job. From there we found ourselves taking the family every 18-24 months, becoming experts on planning by reading the Disboards, EasyWDW, and others. We mastered paper FP, FP+, maximizing park time, getting all the ADRs we wanted, and just having great trips. All that began to crash and burn for my son's 8th birthday trip in January of 2018. Initially it was just him and I, 2 nights at ASSp, 3-day DCL cruise, and then back to POFQ for four days where the rest of the family was to surprise him by showing up on his actual birthday. We booked EMM and two of three rides were down, rude and uncaring CMs, power outages in our resort... just to name a few of the disasters from that trip. After writing a five-page letter to Guest Relations, Disney gave us three nights/two rooms at any moderate resort, three day passes with park hopper, 3 FP, and preferred viewing for a fireworks show to be used any time in the next ten years (so by 2028). When DW finished her PhD studies and had opportunity to walk in her graduation in Orlando, I convinced her that we should make a little vacation/celebration out of it and use those comped items from Disney after she walked. We just got back and add us to the loyalist who aren't likely to darken Disney's doors again any time soon, if ever.

I'd been tracking all the changes (most of them bad), but I didn't truly realize just how bad it all was until I got into trying to plan this trip.
Genie is pointless. All of its recommendations are shows, audio clips on the app, or counter service restaurants. Nobody needs Genie to figure out if they want to eat at Cosmic Ray's, or God forbid... the Italy both.
Genie+ is a disaster. Paying $15pp/pd for the privilege of waking up before 7am on your vacation for a virtual running of the bulls and then get nothing that you want or have the times changing as you try to book it. This is not well-done and a billion dollar company like disney should have better IT than this.
Individual Lightning Lane is nothing but a cash grab. If they really thought that those rides had value and the ability to process numbers of people, they'd offer no line skipping service for them. "We know it's good. But if you want to ride it, you'll have to wait in line. Period."
If your trip is something less than seven nights, forget about getting that ADR for a popular restaurant. All I wanted for our three park days was lunch or dinner at SciFi. Gone at 60 days out and never appeared again. We were able to get 50s Prime Time (day of) on our HS day, but really, over $200 for a family of six and no alcohol? For fried chicken, meatloaf, burgers, mac and cheese, and chicken tenders? Even at Disney's inflated prices, the menu is dumbed down and too expensive. Every other meal we had in our three days on property was counter service and not one was under $100. Chili cheese fries (x2), chicken tenders (x2), and a couple of sodas from Golden Oak Outpost to share among the six of us for lunch was our cheapest meal and THAT was $100!
Having to book and pay for Mears transportation that couldn't wait for my oldest daughter's flight that was delayed? She had to take an uber when she should have been in the same vehicle as me and two of my other kids. This obviously wouldn't have been an issue with Magical Express. And of course we had to pay for Mears back to the airport. Hundreds of dollars in transportation costs that would have been included in the past... but resort prices haven't reflected the subtraction of formerly included perks.
Staffing! Disney really has no excuse for understaffing... well, everything at this point. Disney has handled bigger crowds than these with grace. Bring back the college program. Bring back the international CMs. We tried to book Maya Grill (one of the lowest rated restaurants on property) after returning to our resort in the late afternoon Sunday. Nothing available, but we did manage to get a table for 8pm-ish at Rix Bar and Grill. When we passed Maya, two thirds of the tables were empty. Why? Because the staff that would normally work there were in EPCOT working the Germany pavilion
And for crying out loud... bring back the CM standards! Seeing CMs wearing out of costume hats like beanies and knit hats - no, not magical. We were waiting standby for JC and a CM came out from somewhere in the middle of the line making his way through saying something to the effect of, "I'm just a cast member; you're the guests." Dude, shut up. You're ruining the show by being out of character.
Resort - We stayed at Coronado. It's nice. We had a very nice view of the lake/tower/three bridges. We declined housekeeping so I won't say anything about that service other than the fact that it took them several hours and three phone calls to get us more towels. One set of elevators per building and situated so far from the lobby/tower... not good. The generic room designs, I mean, c'mon! You're Disney! It's the little touches that make people willing to pay extra. The only Disney theming in the room is silhouette pics of the three amigos on southwest backgrounds. Where's the unique bedding designs? The little hidden Mickey touches? Once inside the room, this could have been any Holiday Inn or Marriott in Arizona or New Mexico. Here's a thought, why not offer free Disney+ streaming service to resort guests in their rooms? Think of the PR and the potential customers you could harvest with almost no investment! But no, just a D+ preview. And they're apparently not hiring the best and the brightest at the front desk either. When my wife went down to check us into our flight and print our boarding passes for the next day, the girl behind the counter was instead trying to check us out of our rooms.
In all, I used to love planning a Disney trip. I loved talking about ADRs, what Fast Passes to go for, checking back regularly to see if we could make our plans even more efficient, planning to try new stuff and repeat favorites. None of that happened for this trip. This was drudgery to plan and actually doesn't reward the planners any longer. Yes, I know it was spring break and it was crowded. But with rampant price increases, decreased amenities and perks for staying on property "in the bubble," poor maintenance (did I mention all the rides that went down and how often?), trash all over and CMs walking right past it, the Disney difference is gone. Disney parks are now no more than a meat grinder, churning out dollars to line Chapek's pockets. I love the community of these boards, the enthusiasm and wit of some bloggers (RIP Josh) and vloggers, and the memories my family has made at Disney, but I fear that those magical trips are all in the past now and it just makes me sad that Disney now values the almighty dollar over everything that used to be important, particularly to Walt.

Here here. Amen. First trip was in 1975. We just got back and wow I am shocked. We had our worst day in 15 years :( Evacuated off ROTR, TOT broke after waiting 60 min. RnRc broke after waiting a long time. Runaway Railway down. What?! Guest services did NOT care in fact she was smug. Yuck. No thank you. Genie + absolutely useless. I donated 60 bucks to Disney for that beauty. So grateful my kids and I had many fun years at Disney. Galaxy's Edge is very well done and I'm happy we went but the rest of it I can do without.

I'm sorry you had a bad trip and it does sound like it's time for you and your family to sadly move on. Nothing wrong with that and I hope you find an alternative.

I will say, I have been going to WDW nigh onto 38 years. At first every other year because I was a single mom and it took me two years to save enough, yes it was expensive even back then. Has it changed? Yep, I'll be the first to admit that. I used to tell my son that pixie's came out at night and cleaned the park, that was why you never saw trash laying around. Now you will see some trash, but you will also see the lazy person who threw it on the ground and every other person around them who just walked around it. Could that person have walked two steps and put it in a trash can? Could the person behind them bent over and taken the two seconds to pick it up? It might be because I'm a scuba diver and see what people do to the ocean and am constantly coming up from a dive with pockets full of trash I've picked up, but I'm not above bending down and picking up a piece of trash and putting it in the can right over there.

Fast forward and the world shut down. Has the world totally re-opened? Nope, even my small Georgia town has labor issues and don't even get me started on rude employees locally. This is the south, we aren't rude, we can nice you to death, except now we don't. Prices are almost as high here, Hubby and I went out for fast food last week and it was about $25, for fast food for two in a small Georgia town.

I've been 3 times in 2021 and am going back this coming April so I, obviously, still feel the magic. WDW has the problem of having to deal with us older folks who have been going for years and have good memories of days gone by and new folks coming in who want the newest and brightest and are in a hurry. Hard to balance between those of us who walked to school up hill both ways barefoot in the snow and those who have cell phones and cars that start themselves and internet.

You express frustration at the fact that there’s a labor shortage of people willing to work really demanding, potentially unsafe, and definitely low-paying jobs and then trash the CM and desk attendant who are working but not to your standards. Maybe the two are related?

Actually, it was Walt Disney himself who set those high standards: calling employees cast members, training them that when they're in the parks, they're "on stage" and are to remain "in character".
This is part of the magic in WDW and why people are willing to fly/drive for hours and pay thousands to visit. If I wanted to see a snarky teenager in a Phillies hat operating a ride, I can drive to our local Six Flags.
The fact that the OP sees the gradual decline over decades doesn't make him/her wrong to express an opinion. It's far more than just an employee shortage. It's greed. For a while, it was the feeling of being nickel and dimed, now it's downright gouging. If they are so short staffed, they should limit the number of guests entering a park, but they won't.

I will hang onto my old memories of WDW because they are so precious but making wonderful new memories in a Disney park isn't going to happen unless it changes for the better, which is very unlikely. I'll speak with my wallet and they won't care because there are plenty of others who don't know how good it used to be or they are tolerant of the changes. I was tolerant of their changes for a really long time but it got to the point where I'd excitedly plan a trip and be disappointed over and again and again. Our last visit was March 2021, before the Genie entered service. I've yet to hear something positive said about it by an experienced park visitor.

You express frustration at the fact that there’s a labor shortage of people willing to work really demanding, potentially unsafe, and definitely low-paying jobs and then trash the CM and desk attendant who are working but not to your standards. Maybe the two are related?
I feel like you're assuming that I complained about said CMs to someone other than this board. I did not because Disney's problems are no longer my problems. I did speak to a friend who is a CM in management about the out of costume/out of character stuff and he agreed with me. He said that they don't train CMs like they used to and that the ones who're being hired don't have the commitment that has been a trademark of Disney CMs in the past. But as I said, not my problem any longer because my vacation dollars will go much further elsewhere, and my feet will take me to that elsewhere.

I'm sorry you had a bad trip and it does sound like it's time for you and your family to sadly move on. Nothing wrong with that and I hope you find an alternative.

Could that person have walked two steps and put it in a trash can? Could the person behind them bent over and taken the two seconds to pick it up?
Gatlinburg/Pigeon Forge, Tennessee. Fresh air, mountains, Dollywood - yes, we found an alternative.

As to picking up the trash, that's not something a guest can do when it's not on the path. Just recently I saw an article about the extended queue for ROTR being trashed even though there are trash cans. All of the pictures were of trash thrown in the bushes and rocks, off the path. As I understand Disney rules, jumping fences is a good way to get thrown out of the park and possibly trespassed. I'm not above picking up trash that I can get to, but It's still not my job. In fact I had always heard that Walt instilled it in every CM that it was their job regardless of job title to pick up trash if they saw it. That's obviously not happening, if it's even taught anymore.

Now you will see some trash, but you will also see the lazy person who threw it on the ground and every other person around them who just walked around it. Could that person have walked two steps and put it in a trash can? Could the person behind them bent over and taken the two seconds to pick it up?
Sorry I draw the line at picking up other people's trash at an amusement park. If Disney has an issue with trash, those management types are paid to figure out how to address it. That's like expecting us to wash our dishes at a sit down restaurant. Now...I'll pick others people's trash out of my yard...and we volunteer to clean up this stretch of road our kid's team sponsors...but I am NOT doing Disney's job.

Isn't SciFi a lot of burgers..and fried chicken/food? Yeah I see salmon on the menu so does 50's Prime Time. Only real difference is SciFi has pasta dishes (2) and 50's Prime Time instead has the pot roast and meatloaf (cuz well it's supposed to be in theme to more homestyle cooking).

I don't get that complaint at all? If you're complaining about the food there's way too much similarities between what SciFi has and what 50's Prime Time has.

Not to mention you def. didn't have to book an ADR for 50s Prime Time if the menu was not to your liking. I can understand complaining after the fact about the quality of the food (as it takes actually eating there) but not the type of food and certainly not when it was day of booking.

I feel like you're assuming that I complained about said CMs to someone other than this board. I did not because Disney's problems are no longer my problems. I did speak to a friend who is a CM in management about the out of costume/out of character stuff and he agreed with me. He said that they don't train CMs like they used to and that the ones who're being hired don't have the commitment that has been a trademark of Disney CMs in the past. But as I said, not my problem any longer because my vacation dollars will go much further elsewhere, and my feet will take me to that elsewhere.
No, I don’t care where you complain about it or to whom. I’m sorry that a low-wage worker wasn’t able to give you the magic you wanted but wonder where the anger is for the people who throw the trash on the ground expecting someone to come behind them and clean it up? You’re missing the point about how incredibly difficult these jobs are to fill and to entice people to take. And the part where people constantly complaining about not getting their beds made every night or witnessing someone in plain clothes walking thru a queue is part of the reason no one wants these jobs.

Sorry to hear you had a bad trip. Just a few thoughts / comments. DCP is back and has been for awhile. My daughter is in the “program” which in my opinion is a way for Disney to get affordable labor (I have no problem With her hourly rate for a food service job) but to take advantage of them. Give these kids a break! Long term CM have expressed to her that they appreciate her professionalism and friendliness as it is not included in their program training to the extent it used to be.

It sounds like your first trip you had that you complained about and got a rebound trip out of was probably not something that needed to be comped a vacation for. Not sure. I wasn’t there. But power outages are not something they easily have control over.

Concerning food costs, you could have reviewed the 50s menu before eating there, you had a choice to not pay to dine there. And Disney counter service is pricey but so is local counter service. You are feeding a family of six. A counter service breakfast at our local fast food joint would cost a family of your size $82. So not cheap either.

Lastly, the room. Glad to hear you were able to decline housekeeping. I stayed at Coronado last week also and we didn’t receive housekeeping and were not offered the option to decline it. Also,when booking you knew the size of the resort. Again your choice. You also could tell the decor of the resort before booking. Their own site site describes it as anything but over the top decor. “Celebrate the unique blend of Spanish, Mexican and Southwest American cultures at Disney’s Coronado Springs Resort. This beautiful lakeside oasis offers classic influences, Disney touches and modern comforts to energize and inspire.” Again, your choice.

And once more, you elected to book Mears. You could have booked Mears transportation options that were on the motor coach instead of your own party. This is a risk you take when people are on different flights. To expect them to get off of their schedule for you is entitled.

I have not been overly thrilled with my recent Disney experiences either and will continue to have my primary, several times a year trips be at another location when it used to be at Disney. I researched my trip before going and knew there was going to be things I wouldn’t like. But I still made the best of it. I hope you find a new travel destination that suits you.

No, I don’t care where you complain about it or to whom. I’m sorry that a low-wage worker wasn’t able to give you the magic you wanted but wonder where the anger is for the people who throw the trash on the ground expecting someone to come behind them and clean it up? You’re missing the point about how incredibly difficult these jobs are to fill and to entice people to take. And the part where people constantly complaining about not getting their beds made every night or witnessing someone in plain clothes walking thru a queue is part of the reason no one wants these jobs.
If you pay a decent salary workers will do almost any job. Facts are, with all their billions, Disney these days gives the money to the upper 1% in stock, and rewards their highest management for thiose dividends.

But the good will and memories will
only go so far in keeping those profits in a poorly run and maintained park. Instead, they will get guests with crappy memories of trash, lines, crowds, subpar food thats difficult to get , and broken down attractions….

Sorry, but WDW is about good memories, not nightmare vacations that cost a fortune.

First response is the comment about College Program labor .
I truly believe Disney is taking advantage of this program to avoid hiring full time staff. The government write off for Disney is obviously the staffing solution that benefits the company the most.They can have one full time lead to monitor the entire department of part time college program. Take a look at that “Flamingo Village Campus “ . Something’s going on that just doesn’t feel right. I don’t think this is what the College Program was designed for. Maybe I am wrong and should keep my mouth shut but …
I edited this my thoughts and comments were harsh to see the least.
I 100% agree that they are taking advantage of this population for cheaper labor. As I mentioned above though, I don’t have an issue with the pay rates for the labor as this is an entry level job and it is sold to these young people “benefits”. The problem is the benefits have yet to come. Park admission - who has time. Classes - good luck. When they work 60 hours a week they can’t enjoy the parks. They are told positions require a minimum number of hours but then they are scheduled for 45-50 and it turns into 60 because of not being released until everyone is down with their cleaning. I understand that not all positions have this problem. Also, they make it impossible for anyone DCP or otherwise to have another job. There are shifts that end at midnight and they are scheduled again the next day. They were told there are career related classes you can take to enhance your experience. Few are offered due to Covid (but they can go to work coming into contact with thousands of people a day), one was offered at 5am and was a total sham. Lastly, those that are there to try and build a career and aren’t in it for the fun, are given different information based on their position. You may not apply for any internship position while you are here. Others are told you can only apply while you are here. My daughter applied for 60 jobs last week in the real world in an effort to get out. Her manager has told her she will never get the editing career with any Disney holdings company she wants - even ten years from now - as the manager will be sure to make sure she is blackballed.

Sorry, but I’m going to call into question a few things….

FOOD
Golden Oak Outpost
- Chili Cheese Fries $6.49 x 2
- Chicken Tenders $9.99 x 2
- Fountain Beverage $3.99 x 6
Subtotal $56.90, add 6.5% tax
TOTAL $60.59…..a far cry from $100…but rather $10 per person at your statement that you are a party of 6.

$200 for a family of 6 at any table service restaurant isn’t an outrageous price - but if it does feel overpriced, no one forced you to eat there and all Disney menus are available online with prices you can consult ahead of dining at your selected location. So this shouldn’t come as a shock.

RESORT
Again, perhaps some research would have helped. Coronado Springs is a hotel that predominantly caters to business people and convention goers. If you want magical Disney theming I’d suggest the value resorts.

STAFFING
The entire world is having staffing issues. This is not a problem that Disney is exempt from. You mentioned the Maya Grill CMs staffing Biergarten. Well guess what? The international program hasn’t returned yet and Disney has to find a way to staff those locations in Epcot that are typically reliant on that group of CMs. So rather than staff a resort restaurant that even in pre-pandemic times saw 2/3rd of its tables sit empty, they redistributed staff to locations in higher demand.

I think you’d be wise to explore other destinations for your next vacation - but keep in mind they won’t be free from post-pandemic impacts. The world doesn’t go backwards, it goes forward. We’re never returning to the world as it was prior to the pandemic. Some changes will be good and others bad. It all depends on your priorities, how you perceive value and frankly, your attitude.

Last edited:
I don’t understand why Disney is so

FOOD
Golden Oak Outpost
TOTAL $60.59…..a far cry from $100…but rather $10 per person at your statement that you are a party of 6.

$200 for a family of 6 at any table service restaurant isn’t an outrageous price - but if it does feel overpriced, no one forced you to eat there and all Disney menus are available with prices. So this shouldn’t come as a shock.

RESORT
Again, perhaps some research would have helped. Coronado Springs is a hotel that predominantly caters to business people and convention goers. If you want magical Disney theming I’d suggest the value resorts.

STAFFING
The entire world is having staffing issues. This is not a problem that Disney is exempt from. You mentioned the Maya Grill CMs staffing Biergarten. Well guess what? The international program hasn’t returned yet and Disney has to find a way to staff those locations in Epcot that are typically reliant on that group of CMs. So rather than staff a resort restaurant that even in pre-pandemic times saw 2/3rd of its tables sit empty, they redistributed staff to locations in higher demand.

I think you’d be wise to explore other destinations for your next vacation - but keep in mind they won’t be free from post-pandemic impacts. The world doesn’t go backwards, it goes forward. We’re never returning to the world as it was prior to the pandemic. Some changes will be good and others bad. It all depends on your priorities, how you perceive value and frankly, your attitude.
I disagree with you in regards to the whole world having staffing issues. I stayed at Universal’s Portofino and had full daily housekeeping. No excuse for Disney to charge the prices they do if they cannot even provide housekeeping.

I don’t understand why Disney is so

I disagree with you in regards to the whole world having staffing issues. I stayed at Universal’s Portofino and had full daily housekeeping. No excuse for Disney to charge the prices they do if they cannot even provide housekeeping.
As of today, Mar 20th 2022, full daily/pre-pandemic housekeeping has returned to:
- Disney’s Polynesian Resort
- Disney’s Contemporary Resort
- Disney’s Grand Floridian Resort
- Disney’s Wilderness Lodge
- Disney’s Yacht Club Resort
- Disney’s Beach Club Resort
- Disney’s Boardwalk Resort
- Disney’s Animal Kingdom Lodge
- Disney’s Saratoga Springs Resort
- Disney’s Old Key West Resort
- Disney’s Riviera Resort

With more resorts being added in the coming weeks and months. So please try again:teacher:

FOOD
Golden Oak Outpost

$200 for a family of 6 at any table service restaurant isn’t an outrageous price - but if it does feel overpriced, no one forced you to eat there and all Disney menus are available with prices. So this shouldn’t come as a shock.

RESORT

STAFFING

I was getting ready to write a post as well regarding the discrepancy on the cost of 2 chicken tenders, 2 chili cheese fries and 2 soda which only totals around $41 before tax (I was a little bit confused as to whether they ordered 6 or 2 sodas.) I agree 100% with your entire post TinkerBelle_325 and that sometimes a guest's experience is relative to where they choose to stay, realistic expectations with the pandemic world we now live in and how it affects staffing (shortage, lack of appreciation from guests, etc.). We haven't visited WDW in over 10 years and have had some times where expectations might not have been met. But that hasn't swayed us from wanting to revisit the parks (just finances and family obligations had a higher priority). Hopefully the OP will have a better experience at a new family destination!

WOW! Cue the apologists (although interesting that no one defended G+). Folks, if you're willing to continue to be treated like any other customer at any theme/amusement park in the country and still pay Disney prices for it... Well, good on you I guess. As I said in my original post, more than anything else I'm just sad that what used to be a magical vacation is no longer. I'm really not angry because I just don't get angry about things over which I have no control. I'm disappointed. I'm disappointed that imagineering is being replaced by merchandising. I'm disillusioned that storytelling is being replaced by monetization. I'm sad that innovation is giving way to screens and lighting effects. Everything now seems to be done on the cheap - the fewest possible CMs, the cheapest quality food, cheap merch that falls apart in a few days, maintenance neglected. The parks are seeing a bump in attendance right now because folks have been cooped up for two years, but people will not continue to pay these kinds of prices for an experience that they can get at their local amusement park or boardwalk without having to fly to Florida. Thank you all for your well-wishes. If you'd like to find me, I'll be vacationing in Pigeon Forge/Gatlinburg, Tennessee for the foreseeable future.

Cue the apologists
Oddly though I didn't find any apologists on this thread, sometimes it is in full force though.

People were confused with some of your complaints and figures you gave is all. I myself didn't add up the costs but I recently read a blog about someone from the UK saying Disney charged them almost $2,500 (that was the headline) except in the article itself it was actually just over $2,200. IDK about you but I'm sure $2,500 sounds catchier and larger amount than $2,200.

My point I brought up with my personal comment was the food because I couldn't see the difference objectively between SciFi and 50s Prime Time when you said you preferred SciFi but couldn't get an ADR for it so you settled for 50s Prime Time and was complaining about the food it was (that's where the comments about the menu came into play by me and other posters) and the cost (trying to figure out what you purchased). Honestly when I read your comments it made me think of the "there's nothing but burgers and chicken nuggets here" complaint I've heard time and time again and I somehow have managed to eat almost exclusive QS and not gotten that lol. I also later on was confused on the no alcohol comment didn't know if you were saying there wasn't alcohol to purchase at 50s Prime Time (which there should have been) or if you were saying the bill was so high and it didn't even include alcohol.

I can understand how you feel about the parks changing, I think a lot of people have been feeling that way but it does seem to be more strong with the introduction of Genie+ and ILL.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter