One day at Universal. We have never been! Help us plan our day!

mistyinca

Mouseketeer
Hi all,

We will be visiting Universal Orlando and Islands of Adventure for one day in March. We have never been. (I have been to Universal Hollywood, as I'm a So Cal resident, but not since the Harry Potter stuff has been there.)

Anyway, we did get the Express passes for both parks. But we know nothing about virtual queues here, using the app, strategies, park layout. (I am familiar with using the Disney apps, so not unfamiliar with the concept).

And if there are any noob tutorials already out there, please point me in that direction as well, but we are particularly interested in best strategies for seeing the best of, what to focus on first, stuff like that.

Thanks!

With the Express, you should be able to tour at your leisure. The ride lines should be minimal using EP. You'll need to plan for Hagrids a bit, as that doesn't take EP & gets long lines. Velocicoaster also doesn't take EP but the lines are more manageable. There are not virtual queues except on very busy days & even then generally only for Hagrids.

Figure out if you want to have a sit down lunch break, or use shows as a sit down & rest break (the Horror Makeup Show and the Bourne Stuntacular are both worthwhile; Bourne is better though).

You will hit longer waits to ride the train at peak times, even with the EP.

Also note that the Popeye barges & the Dudley Doright log flume will get you legit soaked. Plan accordingly. Jurassic Park river adventure is much less wetness.

As PP noted, the Bilge Rat Barges and Dudley DoRight will soak you through and through. For one day, I would skip them to avoid discomfort. With Express, you should be able to get a lot done. Be aware of Park hours. Sometimes one is open later than the other and you may need to plan your touring order. Is your one day a weekday? You'll get less waiting on a weekday. What are the ages and preferences of your group? We can help more with more information.

Do you have early entry? if so, get there 30+ minutes before opening and if EE is at Islands, run to Hagrids and/or Velocicoaster. If not, get there at least 30 minutes before opening and head to the opposite park.

after the above mentioned rides,wander around and soak up the environment of Hogsmead and Diagon Alley early. Its the only real section of the park that gets legit elbow to elbow just walking around. Hit it early. Get a wand and play with some of the spells. All of this, and i am not really a Potter fan. But the land is worth it.

pick either three broomsticks or leaky cauldron for a meal - you dont need to do both, especially for one day.

also, ride the train early - try to go both ways, but if you can only pick one, go from Universal Studios to Islands - that way is slightly more enjoyable (both ways are cool though, just one is slightly better)

other rides i would make sure i rode, in no particular order, all of which use express pass:

men in black
Transformers (i’m a fan boy though)
ET
Rip Ride Rocket
The Mummy
Escape from Gringotts
Flight of the hippogrif
Forbidden Journey
Jurrasic River adventure
King Kong
Spiderman
Hulk Coaster
Sky High trolly train
Cat in the Hat - if you like dark rides or doctor suess, otherwise you can skip it
Preradon flyers - you HAVE to have small kids for this one, and no express pass, so try and go early - most people would be fine skipping it, and i wouldnt wait in any substantial line for it either

rides i’d be fine skipping:

minions
Jimmy fallon
Fast and Furious
Simpsons - do this one if you are a big fan though
Kodos and Kang - unlesss you have small kids
Woody Woodpecker nuthouse coaster
Dr Doom Fearfall
Storm Force acceleration - again, unless you have small kids
One fish two fish red fish blue fish - unless you have small kids
Popeye’s
Dudley do right
Suess carosel

also, if you are a big simpsons fan, be sure to meander through springfield. Its very well done - get a duff or flaming moe or krustyburger, etc.

if you want a sit down meal to rest in the AC for a bit, mythos is the best in either park, but i’d reserve - especially to eat at a major meal time

also, there are all kinds of random characters to meet - raptor encounter, transformers, simpsons

I’m just one random guy on the internet, but if it were me, thats what i’d try to do. Others may disagree.

The raptor encounter is fantastic. When it's your turn, you don't really see much of the raptor but you get a fantastic picture out of it, and you do get to see the raptor while wait in line. The handler directs you on where to stand and how to look.

How into thrill rides are you? What is your ride tolerance? Any issues with motion sickness? Any issues with screen-based rides? That would determine what you might want to skip. If you only have one day, you don't want to do a ride that will make you feel miserable and ruin your day.

As PP noted, the Bilge Rat Barges and Dudley DoRight will soak you through and through. For one day, I would skip them to avoid discomfort. With Express, you should be able to get a lot done. Be aware of Park hours. Sometimes one is open later than the other and you may need to plan your touring order. Is your one day a weekday? You'll get less waiting on a weekday. What are the ages and preferences of your group? We can help more with more information.

Thanks! Just two adults. And yes this will be on a Monday.

The raptor encounter is fantastic. When it's your turn, you don't really see much of the raptor but you get a fantastic picture out of it, and you do get to see the raptor while wait in line. The handler directs you on where to stand and how to look.

How into thrill rides are you? What is your ride tolerance? Any issues with motion sickness? Any issues with screen-based rides? That would determine what you might want to skip. If you only have one day, you don't want to do a ride that will make you feel miserable and ruin your day.
Truth be told, seeing the "REAL" raptor is what I personally am most looking forward to LOL!

We will not be riding velocicoaster, but Hagrids looks fun.

Motion like Star Tours, I can do...motion like Mission Space, I cannot!! LOL

You sound like me...no Mission Space Orange ever again for this girl & no Simpsons either - once was bad enough (which stinks because I really like the Simpsons.) Forbidden Journey can give a me little quesy feeling sometimes but not always & it's so fantastic that I always go on it regardless, but never again on the Simpsons - that & Mission Space Orange at Disney are the only "never ever again" rides for me.

And I have NO issues on Hagrid's - that one's pure joy from beginning to end for me :love:! Velocicoaster I COULD do again but wow...super intense & pretty much at my max limit in my old age, LOL :)!

Do you have early entry? if so, get there 30+ minutes before opening and if EE is at Islands, run to Hagrids and/or Velocicoaster. If not, get there at least 30 minutes before opening and head to the opposite park.
No early entry and have the limited Express pass for both parks. Will be riding Hagrids but not Velocicoaster.

You sound like me, LOL...no Mission Space Orange ever again for this girl & no Simpsons either - once was bad enough (which stinks because I really like the Simpsons.) Forbidden Journey can give a me little quesy feeling sometimes but not always & it's so fantastic that I always go on it regardless, but never again on the Simpsons - that & Mission Space Orange at Disney are the only "never ever again" rides for me.

And I have NO issues on Hagrid's - that one's pure joy from beginning to end fo rme :)!
OK, now you have me worried about Simpsons. Is it a screen simulation similar to Star Tours...I feel like I rode this at Universal Hollywood like 15 years ago. Wasn't it in the place of the old Back to the future ride?

OK, now you have me worried about Simpsons. Is it a screen simulation similar to Star Tours...I feel like I rode this at Universal Hollywood like 15 years ago. Wasn't it in the place of the old Back to the future ride?

I love Star Tours & have no problems with that one at all. Simpsons IS a screen simulation but WAY more intense & I seem to recall a lot more movement of the ride vehicle - it's been 10 years so I've kind of blocked it from my mind :crazy2: - I just know it wiped both my husband & me OUT....

Last edited:
Simpsons is a simulator. I love it but it can have a motion sickness effect. It is not a dizzying as the "Back to the Future" ride it replaced due to the theme. At US, I only ride coasters once each but can ride Simpsons several times in a day. Actually, there is nothing quite like Mission Space Orange there.

I love Star Tours & have no problems with that one at all. Simpsons IS a screen simulation but WAY more intense & I seem to recall a lot more movement of the ride vehicle - it's been 10 years so I've kind of blocked it from my mind :crazy2: - I just know it wiped both my husband & me OUT....

Me too!! Simpsons is one of two rides I will never do again, the other being Transformers due to the screen pixellation apparently.

I was wiped out with Simpsons and spent the rest of the day in the hotel recovering.....awful ride. And I can do coasters and rides like FJ all day long.

Simulators with glasses seem to work better for me for some reason.

It`s been 14 years but I was fine with Star Tours too.

Simpsons is definitely more intense than Star Tours! It gives me a a headache; Too much jarring around. Velocicoaster however I can ride over and over FWIW.

I close my eyes when I start to feel sick on the Simpsons and Forbidden Journey and that does the trick for me so that I don't feel worse. I have to close my eyes on Star Tours sometimes too about halfway through.

We're doing a one day park to park ticket at Universal/IOA and are getting one time express passes. And we are doing a week day during a popular spring break week. What we did to help us decide what to cover, what order to do things, and how to plan our day, even with the express passes was subscribe to the touringplans.com Universal option for $9, start with one of their plans for the park/parks, and then customize it (We took out a few things we knew we didn't want to do). We haven't been to Universal since 2015, so it's been a while. The plans let you specify whether you have the express pass or not, etc. and for us will help us prioritize what we want to do and set some reasonable expectations about what waits for some of the hot newer attractions will have that don't have the EP option. // Side note: The plans (we did one with and one without the EP), are what convinced us to bite the bullet and buy the expensive EPs for our day.

We're doing a one day park to park ticket at Universal/IOA and are getting one time express passes. And we are doing a week day during a popular spring break week. What we did to help us decide what to cover, what order to do things, and how to plan our day, even with the express passes was subscribe to the touringplans.com Universal option for $9, start with one of their plans for the park/parks, and then customize it (We took out a few things we knew we didn't want to do). We haven't been to Universal since 2015, so it's been a while. The plans let you specify whether you have the express pass or not, etc. and for us will help us prioritize what we want to do and set some reasonable expectations about what waits for some of the hot newer attractions will have that don't have the EP option. // Side note: The plans (we did one with and one without the EP), are what convinced us to bite the bullet and buy the expensive EPs for our day.
I also use the Universal Touring Plans on Trip Advisor. Since we stay at one of the premium hotels on site, it's not a problem with getting everything in. I like to check the expected waits to see what other things we can fit into the day such as pool time or drying off time on a water ride day. I do like the ability to customize and get an idea of ride order. You can minimize walking or waiting but if you have Express, minimize walking.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter