Once you go Deluxe, do you ever go Moderate or Value?

Yes, mainly because as a family of five we enjoy the room that the family suites at Art of Animation has. We are staying at the Grand Floridian this summer, but next summer we plan on being at Art of Animation. The resorts all have their pluses and minuses and we enjoy most of them.

Yes. We jump around depending on the trip.

I like to switch it up and try different resorts as much as possible. Last trip we stayed at the Beach Club (heavenly) and this upcoming trip we are at Art of Animation in a family suite.

Some resorts are likely one and done but others I would definitely consider staying at again and that has little to do with whether they were value, moderate or "deluxe."

More than half of our yearly WDW trips since 1999 have been spent at Board Walk or Swan/Dolphin, our first 2 were at AllStarMusic. We've spoiled ourselves and much prefer BW but I don't recall feeling disappointed at a Value. Our last such was at AllStarMusic in 2014 when we planned a last minute trip and drove down to escape a Pa Winter. We called Disney 6 days before we were to arrive and there were no Mods available and Deluxe wasn't in the budget so a Value it was.

Bill From PA

I have the same dilemma if I were to ever go with friends. Which is why I don't go with friends to some extent. It's too important of a trip to not be happy how I am spending my money.

I'm afraid I'm going to be faced with a similar issue soon. I have friends who have started to mention joining me at Disney sometime (they know I'm an AP with a flexible schedule) but their budgets are different than mine. I would never force anyone to spend more than they're comfortable with, but I also don't want to sacrifice my comfort and preferences!

I only stayed deluxe (or a few offsite, mostly because we didn't have the funds years ago, or when I got a nice Marriott condo) for years and years. One trip, just my youngest and me, we did Pop. We loved it! The bus service was very good, the food court was so convenient to grab something on the way back to the room for dinner, and the room was perfectly fine for the 2 of us. Last trip was supposed to be at All Star Sports, but someone at Disney totally screwed up and took our 2 connecting HA (roll in shower) rooms and decided that my kids and us could be in a non HA room (just one room). So Disney moved us as an "upgrade" to their worst BWI studio. It had no drawers whatsoever. They couldn't find us anything else with a roll in shower (youngest needs). I was beside myself, so now I'm pretty done with any Disney deluxe. Next trip just me and DH and we're at the Dolphin. If I go solo again (which I likely will, as I have an AP), I'll look at values again or the Swan or Dolphin.

Last time just youngest and I did the BWI a few years ago, he and I really couldn't justify $300/night. We missed having a food court (not a fan of the Boardwalk Bakery) and it was noisy (we had to call security twice on the room next to us). I can't justify what they charge now for deluxe resorts.

I'm afraid I'm going to be faced with a similar issue soon. I have friends who have started to mention joining me at Disney sometime (they know I'm an AP with a flexible schedule) but their budgets are different than mine. I would never force anyone to spend more than they're comfortable with, but I also don't want to sacrifice my comfort and preferences!

In these situations we have found it best for each family to book whichever resort they prefer. It is so easy to meet up every day. It's worked great for us the last 5 trips with friends/family.

We have stayed at deluxe and moderate and we would stay at either again. We really enjoy POFQ and CSR but we really like BC and CR CL so just depends on the type of trip and discounts and what's available and with having 3 kids unless we travel with other family members we normally cant do moderates. We just dont do value out of personal preference, just not for us.

I think you just become pickier about which resorts you like to stay in after a while. I would def do AoA or Pop. We love POR! And enjoyed CRB (but would have to stay preferred rooms). We really enjoyed BWI and the area and WL is one of our favorites. However we would not do CR. I really dislike that resort.

I'll be a different voice here and say that I would only ever stay deluxe. I have seen the videos of moderates and values and those rooms just aren't nice enough or big enough to make my trip feel luxurious, and with our jobs we just don't get a lot of long vacations so we want to go all out. Also, since we also like to travel to non-Disney places too, we are only coming every other year. Add that we have 3 teenagers now and we really only fit in a deluxe room (those family suites don't have enough real beds) and even that is getting too small for us. Our next trip will likely be a suite in the Bonnet Creek area.

My HD also likes every one to have a real bed. He is not a fan of pull out sofa beds and so even though our kids are 6&7 he will only book a room where everyone can sleep in a bed.

We always start our trips with a couple of nights at a moderate, usually POR, then move to whatever DVC resort we're staying at. We like staying at POR because we always like to start our vacation with a great meal in Disney Springs, and the boat ride really puts us in the Disney mood for the rest of our vacation!

Staying at Dolphin now...it's nice, best thing is not as crowded as a value..but it's not THAT much better that feel 'spoiled '. I've stayed in nicer hotels outside Disney.

Honestly, i hear more noise from other rooms than did at Pop or ASSp, and especially noise from the hallway...it's not a riot, but hear people talking as they go down the hall and doors closing boom through the walls.

Restaurants are ok. Again,nice they aren't busy.

Bus service takes longer as share resorts...and not as wowed as some are with walking to Epcot or HS... After walking in parks, not thrilled to walk more, especially in the beating down sun. The boat to HS is faster unless you are a speed walker.

So yes,could easily go back to a value. Guess just don't crave the status of 'Deluxe'. Wouldn't say no, but would depend on the deal.

How does SOG compare? We are DVC owners that bought with the intent on 10 day trips once per year. But now we are going twice per year. DH is a veteran so we can do SOG in September. We were considering it next year.

SOG is considered a deluxe resort. Standard rooms are the biggest on property. A very nice property indeed. The only drawback in my opinion is not have Disney Transportation buses. SOG does have their own buses but they run on a set schedule. They leave at a specific time whether full or not. Not a minute sooner. Although I guess this can be an advantage too as you know beforehand when the bus to your park will leave and you can adjust your schedule accordingly.

Haven't gone back to Disney deluxe in years (other than to go eat) because they simply aren't worth the rates they charge. When I want a deluxe resort I stay offsite at a nice Hilton, Rosen Shingle etc.

In these situations we have found it best for each family to book whichever resort they prefer. It is so easy to meet up every day. It's worked great for us the last 5 trips with friends/family.

TOTALLY agree with @dansdad on this. We have gone many times with others and found that it works out great to each just pick where they want to stay. We set meeting times in the parks late morning so no one feels pressure to get up and go or wait on anyone. Do your own sleep/breakfast thing and meet ready to go. We will book a few meals together but mostly lunch times. This way if one group wants to hop or stay late or go to room, a dinner ADR doesn't mess things up. And it is very nice to have your own family time back at your pool or room. If the group is bent on some water time, we pick a day to do a waterpark together hanging out all day.

You are correct, it's too expensive to compromise your trip, just like family/friends should pick where they are comfortable.

Some examples:
Us AKL, family FW (twice)
Us POR, friends BC
Us offsite suite, family AoA
Us POP, friends CBR

Last edited:
No we won't stay moderate or value, but we don't go to Disney all the time. So when we do Disney for our vacation that year, we stay deluxe because for us the hotel is just as important as the parks at this point.

That's the case for most of our travels, hotel is very important. :)

Yes, we often stay deluxe, and we often stay value (and a few moderate). Of course I love deluxe, but there are some advantages to the values as well (besides the obvious, $). I'm thinking about those huge statues that my kids love to pose by for pictures, and the really crazy decorated pools and rooms. You don't see that in a deluxe, but my kids love it. I'm fine staying in value, you just have to know what to expect, and not expect deluxe at a value.

I think it depends mostly on: 1) your budget, 2) age ranges of those in your party and 3) which parks you plan to visit. Disney is an expensive vacation no matter where you stay, but each family has their own budget constraints. When we went to Disney with small children it made sense to stay at one of the 3 resorts on the monorail (Grand Floridian, Polynesian or Contemporary), although all of them are deluxe. Usually small children need a nap/break mid-day and traveling to/from Epcot or Magic Kingdom on the monorail is very easy for all involved. For the time we did Disney with just adults, we rented a car (always fly since we live too far away) and stayed at one of the non-Disney offsite hotels which also worked for us. Even with just adults, we don't go non-stop all day at the parks and like to pace ourselves. We have found Spring/Fall visits work best for us since the weather is cooler and parks don't tend to be as crowded.

If we didn't intend to spend the majority of our time at the parks, we vacation elsewhere since hotels are more reasonably priced and none of the Disney hotel amenities make that a vacation by itself. Disney is about the theme parks for us, but each family have their own interests. If you lived in Florida and had an annual Disney pass, then perhaps other things would matter more.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter