On the UK forum-mandatory tipping in the US??

jnrrt said:
Actually, icy-dog, ice in drinks is very rare in most European countries, and they mostly think Americans are crazy for liking it. Between that, and the Corn Flakes thing, American eating habits can take a lot of flack ;) .

I agree about the ice thing. Try getting it ANYWHERE in Ireland. They look at you like you were crazy and tell you "it's cold". I don't think my mother was ever so happy then when she saw a McDonald's in Dublin. She went right in an ordered a large Diet Coke with lots of ice. McDonald's had plenty of ice! :)

icy-dog said:
"I don't believe it has anything to do with the accent. [/FONT]

How come I have never encountered it?? Which Outback the one in the Wyndham because we ate there in April no added gratuity then!Jean
:genie:
[/QUOTE]
Will have to ask DBil, they ate there 3 times in 8 days! DH says it was near a Publix (& a lot of other stuff! :rolleyes: ) Orlando
As we usually tip 20% for decent service, --which we got, we thought--they made a healthy 35% tip!
After flying in, & a whale of a busy day in the parks, no reading glasses!, plus several :drinking1 none of us were quite on our game!. Next time, even with a familiar chain, we will be more careful!

Jean

Okay, What's up with the ice thing. Do you like the taste of luke warm liquids. The water and soda is never cold but kinda room temp and yet they think we're crazy. I agree, we found a Fridays and a McDonalds in London and had all the ice we wanted. These are two places I never eat at when home but in London we really missed our ice so went there for our drinks. I couldn't even get iced coffee in Starbucks! I mean I could, but not without a lot of stares.
Don't you Brits have ice machines over there? I think that's the problem, not enough ice machines.
And baked beans and tomatoes for Breakfast!! I'll take corn flakes anytime.

icy-dog said:
Okay, What's up with the ice thing. Do you like the taste of luke warm liquids. The water and soda is never cold but kinda room temp and yet they think we're crazy. I agree, we found a Fridays and a McDonalds in London and had all the ice we wanted. These are two places I never eat at when home but in London we really missed our ice so went there for our drinks. I couldn't even get iced coffee in Starbucks! I mean I could, but not without a lot of stares.
Don't you Brits have ice machines over there? I think that's the problem, not enough ice machines.
And baked beans and tomatoes for Breakfast!! I'll take corn flakes anytime.

Okay, icy-dog, now I have to tell you a story. And as a disclaimer, I've been to Europe a few times, but never to the UK, so I can't speak for them at all.

I went to school in Austria for a while and we would take little two day trips every weekend to other countries (Italy, Germany, Hungary, etc. - it was great!) so when we got there they wanted to give us a little primer on local customs and stuff so we wouldn't offend or look like dorks - not that it stopped a lot of us from looking like dorks, mind you. Hence, the ice thing came up and that's why I laughed when I read your post. It took me right back because we were all saying, "What's up with no ice anywhere except McD's which we don't like anyway?" I did not go to Europe to eat at McD's.

Anyway, the other thing they told us was NOT to ask for cereal as it was very expensive and hard to find, and most host families would not have any. Fine. I really don't care what I have for breakfast. So the first morning I went to my family's main house (I was staying in their garden villa, looking at an alp on one side, and the Danube on the other - totally lucked out with that placement!) for breakfast and they had everything you could think of on the table - fresh rolls and jams and cheeses and meats, different teas, all kinds of things and it looked FANTASTIC! I was a very poor college student who had about killed myself to get there and had been eating generic rice puffs for breakfast forever to afford to go. So you can imagine my reaction. And right next to my seat was a very small box of very American cornflakes (yup, even down to the Kellogg's rooster on the box).

They did not speak any English, and their accent was really southern, so I was still trying to pick it all up (my German's okay in Germany, but in Austria it took a bit of getting used to - like learning English in London and then moving to Alabama :rotfl: ) but I picked up that they really wanted me to feel at home, so they had gone way out of their way to find this crazy and very expensive cereal just for me. What can you say?

So for the first week, every morning I would wake up and eat my bowl of Kellogg's cornflakes, and watch them eating this breakfast that would have made me cry with joy. Finally, when the box ran out I was able to say, "Oh, no please! That was so sweet of you, but you really don't need to go to all that trouble again! I would feel terrible, and what you're having looks wonderful!" And from then on, she would tell her friends what I lovely and accomodating young woman I was to consent to step out of my comfort zone in that way :rotfl: .

They were such a lovely family, and yes, it was as good as it looked! ;)

jnrrt said:
Okay, icy-dog, now I have to tell you a story. And as a disclaimer, I've been to Europe a few times, but never to the UK, so I can't speak for them at all.

I went to school in Austria for a while and we would take little two day trips every weekend to other countries (Italy, Germany, Hungary, etc. - it was great!) so when we got there they wanted to give us a little primer on local customs and stuff so we wouldn't offend or look like dorks - not that it stopped a lot of us from looking like dorks, mind you. Hence, the ice thing came up and that's why I laughed when I read your post. It took me right back because we were all saying, "What's up with no ice anywhere except McD's which we don't like anyway?" I did not go to Europe to eat at McD's.

Anyway, the other thing they told us was NOT to ask for cereal as it was very expensive and hard to find, and most host families would not have any. Fine. I really don't care what I have for breakfast. So the first morning I went to my family's main house (I was staying in their garden villa, looking at an alp on one side, and the Danube on the other - totally lucked out with that placement!) for breakfast and they had everything you could think of on the table - fresh rolls and jams and cheeses and meats, different teas, all kinds of things and it looked FANTASTIC! I was a very poor college student who had about killed myself to get there and had been eating generic rice puffs for breakfast forever to afford to go. So you can imagine my reaction. And right next to my seat was a very small box of very American cornflakes (yup, even down to the Kellogg's rooster on the box).

They did not speak any English, and their accent was really southern, so I was still trying to pick it all up (my German's okay in Germany, but in Austria it took a bit of getting used to - like learning English in London and then moving to Alabama :rotfl: ) but I picked up that they really wanted me to feel at home, so they had gone way out of their way to find this crazy and very expensive cereal just for me. What can you say?

So for the first week, every morning I would wake up and eat my bowl of Kellogg's cornflakes, and watch them eating this breakfast that would have made me cry with joy. Finally, when the box ran out I was able to say, "Oh, no please! That was so sweet of you, but you really don't need to go to all that trouble again! I would feel terrible, and what you're having looks wonderful!" And from then on, she would tell her friends what I lovely and accomodating young woman I was to consent to step out of my comfort zone in that way :rotfl: .

They were such a lovely family, and yes, it was as good as it looked! ;)
I love these kind of stories! Thanks for sharing!

jnrrt - How selfless you are to make such a sacrifice! :rotfl2:

Why thank you! If great sacrifices are called for in the name of good food, I guess I'm your girl!

Will have to ask DBil, they ate there 3 times in 8 days! DH says it was near a Publix (& a lot of other stuff! ) Orlando. As we usually tip 20% for decent service, --which we got, we thought--they made a healthy 35% tip!
After flying in, & a whale of a busy day in the parks, no reading glasses!, plus several none of us were quite on our game!. Next time, even with a familiar chain, we will be more careful
Jonestavern you'll be glad to hear that it's unlikely you double tipped if you were eating at the chain version of Outback restaurants.
The Outback at the Wyndham mentioned in a previous post is an individual restaurant and nothing to do with the chain.

Well, I've never had a problem getting ice (and a slice). Come to Wales ;)

As far as our food getting more 'flack' than American food... we don't ALL eat cooked breakfast every day! :rotfl: And jacket potato with baked beans and cheese is delish ;)
And don't forget our lovely thick chips!

Now, I've never understood the whole 'refried beans' thing... and pancakes for breakfast! (admittedly, our pancakes are a little different from yours though)

Also, I'm sure that Dr. Kellogg was European (the company, of course, is American though I presume). And I can't speak for the rest of Europe, but Kellogg's cereal isn't expensive in the UK.
My boyf can't wait to get his mitts on some Lucky Charms though - they banned them here because sugary marshmallows are not considered a proper breakfast.. yet we still have Coco Pops and the like (not that I'm complaining.. yum!).
In fact, he loves ALL American breakfasts!

Back ON Topic though...
Tipping in the UK isn't uncommon, as such, but it's also not required. Our waitresses/waiters make at least minimum wage (usually a little more). I always tip though if I've had good service, but it's not really calculated as a percentage of the cost over here - we just give what we think is deserved I guess (obviously, I'll be tipping US-style when I'm over there - unless it's already added to the bill!).

VSL said:
...My boyf can't wait to get his mitts on some Lucky Charms though - they banned them here because sugary marshmallows are not considered a proper breakfast...
Wphew! I thought you were going to say they were banned due to the racially insensitive cartoon leprechaun.

Maybe it is due to that in part - Northern Ireland IS a part of Britain.
(also, I think it's cultural insensitivity rather than race insensitivity specifically)

If Brits don't eat pancakes at breakfast when do they eat them. Supper? I am not talking crepes here I am talking pancakes with syrup and butter and a side of eggs and bacon.. Now that's yummy. :crazy:

You can keep all the baked beans and tomatoes give me my pancakes..;. :goodvibes

On Pancake Day ;) (second Tuesday in Feb I think).

Seriously though, over here there are basically two types of pancakes:
- Pre-packaged/McDonald style pancakes (designed specifically for breakfast eating)
- 'Homemade' pancakes/'real' pancakes (where a mix is either bought or made up and we cook them in a pan)

Apart from some people who DO eat pancakes for breakfast (just as I am sure that there are many Americans who consume egg/sausage/bacon/tomato/baked beans/mushrooms/hash browns/etc. for breakfast some times), it tends to be traditional to eat them at some point (usually for supper) on the second Tuesday in February (Pancake Day).
My boyf happens to LOVE American breakfasts though - so he'll be in his element in Florida!

Couldn't possibly tell you why though - I'm sure there's some story behind 'Pancake Day'.

I'll second VSL's comments about the ice and cereals here in the UK. You must be going in the wrong place Icy-Dog :teeth: but then having said that I think they have a problem with this in Indian restaurants - :confused3 don't know why. However, you are right in one sense ice machines aren't common over here must be because it's rarely that hot (weather wise :teeth: ) we usually have to make do with the tray in the freezer or the ice cube bags. Cereal are very common in the UK I love cornflakes too and generally speaking rarely have a cooked breakfast - I don't usually have the time and can't stomach that much in a morning when I have to rush out anyway. As for the pancakes - I think (not certain because I haven't tried them) that your pancakes are similar to "Scottish Pancakes" which are sweeter, smaller and very different in consistancy to ours - our pancakes are basically the same as crepes and as VSL says we tend to have ours on Pancake day which is otherwise known as Shrove Tuesday the day before the start of Lent. As for the rest of europe having been to Spain several times you won't have a problem getting ice in your drinks there but cereals will be expensive. Hope this helps and clears it up a little.

Anyhow back on topic. I was one of the people that had this service charge added to my bill (btw Icy-Dog I'm female not male!) and I really wasn't having a go at you but it really did happen but as I said at the time we did not mind. What VSL has said is more or less accurate in that we don't have the same system for tipping here. The reason for this is that all workers over the age of 18 have, by law to be paid at least minimum wage which I think is around £4.10 which on an exchange rate of $1.82 (not sure what the current rate is) would be just under $7.50 per hour so our tipping tends to be fairly discretionary as a result. We also have some restaurants that add a service charge to the bill but most places account for this in the menu prices in the first place so tips are considered to be "extras" over here for that reason.

I hope this helps but please believe me it's not a big issue to me which way it is done but thanks to the postings on this board, the dibb and the Brits Guide I have now been thoroughly educated! :teeth:

Sounds like tipping here in Canada our servers make more than minimum wage which is about 8 dollars an hour here and tipping is 15% if you wish to tip we always do unless the service didn't merrit the tip.

I wish we didn't have tipping in the US. Paying people minimum wage and building that into the menu price would make me happier. I hate the fact that tips are expected as if it is an entitlement.

I agree, I think it's really odd that there are a few jobs that are not required to make minimum wage.

However, I do think that if servers were paid minimum wage, and weren't receiving tips, you'd see a major drop in job performance at higher end restaurants. The restaurant I worked in during school was very tough to get a job in because the table turnover was fast and the food was somewhat expensive, so you made good tips. I would often make` $20 or more an hour averaged over the shift from tips, which is pretty good for a grad student. And I had a friend who worked in a very upscale place who would often make $200-250 a night waiting 3 or 4 tables. We were assigned shifts dependant on how much we sold per person, so the best servers got the best shifts. If everyone was paid a standard wage, you'd see a lot less hustle on the part of your waitstaff - just witness the drop in service when you go to a restaurant where they're making $2 tips normally.

zulaya said:
I wish we didn't have tipping in the US. Paying people minimum wage and building that into the menu price would make me happier. I hate the fact that tips are expected as if it is an entitlement.

I think part of the reason we don't have a system like this is because there are so many other service sector jobs where people are paid minimum wage for example the kitchen staff in restaurants where it isn't possible to earn tips. It gives a slightly fairer system in these instances.

Probably the other part of the reason why we don't have that type of tipping system in the UK is that many people are very of the same opinion as you and think that it shouldn't be expected.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter