• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

On property advantages?

Well from what I have read I just don't see the extreme advantage of onsite vs. a GNH. So let me ask you this, what is your favorite GNH and why?
We have stayed multiple times each at HoJo's, Park Sheraton and Best Western Stovalls, I'll share what I like about each. HoJo's - we love HoJo's! Retro style property with interior corridors (rooms have been remodeled) that is located across the street, but it's about a 10 minute leisurely, pleasant, safe walk & past several restaurants in case you need to eat). Some rooms have park views (fireworks) so even though off property you "feel" the magic (or at least we do). Even the standard rooms are spacious and have microwaves and fridges. We don't have little kids anymore so we don't use the pirate themed water park area, we enjoy the garden pool. We've always had a great stay here. It can be higher than I sometimes want to pay and I wish they had a breakfast, but there is Mimi's right across the street, which is convenient. Park Sheraton - older property with interior corridors. It's a little farther (the opposite direction of HoJo's), some rooms have park views (fireworks) maybe a 15 minute leisurely walk past several other hotels, CVS (great for items you might need), we find it safe day or night, always lots of other people walking to/from park. Could probably use a remodel, but we have always had pleasant rooms and great stays here and I love their pool area, it is surrounded by tropical plants, palms and there is a pool bar. I don't think they have in-room microwaves, but they have fridges (and I could be remembering incorrectly about the microwave). They also don't include breakfast, but there's an onsite restaurant, little market and a gift shop, lobby bar and other onsite restaurants. Best Western Stovall's - we also love this hotel, it's the more budget friendly of these three and the rooms are exterior (motel style). We have had nice, clean rooms. I do like the storage armoires in the rooms so suitcases and things can be tucked away. Rooms have fridges, I can't remember if microwaves or not. They do serve a free breakfast with LOTS of options, both warm and cold. They have a very nice pool area, two pools, two hot tubs, it has a view of wheel at CA. There are nearby restaurants, Coco's on the corner and Marri's Pizza a short walk away. The hotel is on the other side of the park, on the Katella side. It's a longer walk (still maybe only 15 minutes), but feels safe both night and day and is primarily along the Paradise Pier (and a parking lot) you wrap around that into the DD entrance in front of the DLH. This entrance (versus the Harbor side) is always less busy and so it's a breeze to get into DD, there is never the super long bottleneck that Harbor can get. You can also use the monorail once the park has opened and that drops you off in Tomorrowland. It can be a feet saver at beginning or end of day. You can also leave the parks and walk through the GCH for a little shortcut back to your room. We've had really good experiences at all of these properties which is why we keep going back. None of them are high end resorts, but we've found them to be nice, clean properties and we've liked the customer service we've experienced and the fact that they're close enough to walk.

I am of the opinion (having only stayed at GC out of the 3 hotels) that on property is very much not worth it. EMH is great and all, but you get a day with it on a 3 day pass as well. Plus, you don’t really need it. Especially for California adventure. If you get there at park opening you can do every single ride in the park by early afternoon.

You don't get EMH on the 3 day pass. You get MM. MM doesn't apply for CA.

We have stayed multiple times each at HoJo's, Park Sheraton and Best Western Stovalls, I'll share what I like about each. HoJo's - we love HoJo's! Retro style property with interior corridors (rooms have been remodeled) that is located across the street, but it's about a 10 minute leisurely, pleasant, safe walk & past several restaurants in case you need to eat). Some rooms have park views (fireworks) so even though off property you "feel" the magic (or at least we do). Even the standard rooms are spacious and have microwaves and fridges. We don't have little kids anymore so we don't use the pirate themed water park area, we enjoy the garden pool. We've always had a great stay here. It can be higher than I sometimes want to pay and I wish they had a breakfast, but there is Mimi's right across the street, which is convenient. Park Sheraton - older property with interior corridors. It's a little farther (the opposite direction of HoJo's), some rooms have park views (fireworks) maybe a 15 minute leisurely walk past several other hotels, CVS (great for items you might need), we find it safe day or night, always lots of other people walking to/from park. Could probably use a remodel, but we have always had pleasant rooms and great stays here and I love their pool area, it is surrounded by tropical plants, palms and there is a pool bar. I don't think they have in-room microwaves, but they have fridges (and I could be remembering incorrectly about the microwave). They also don't include breakfast, but there's an onsite restaurant, little market and a gift shop, lobby bar and other onsite restaurants. Best Western Stovall's - we also love this hotel, it's the more budget friendly of these three and the rooms are exterior (motel style). We have had nice, clean rooms. I do like the storage armoires in the rooms so suitcases and things can be tucked away. Rooms have fridges, I can't remember if microwaves or not. They do serve a free breakfast with LOTS of options, both warm and cold. They have a very nice pool area, two pools, two hot tubs, it has a view of wheel at CA. There are nearby restaurants, Coco's on the corner and Marri's Pizza a short walk away. The hotel is on the other side of the park, on the Katella side. It's a longer walk (still maybe only 15 minutes), but feels safe both night and day and is primarily along the Paradise Pier (and a parking lot) you wrap around that into the DD entrance in front of the DLH. This entrance (versus the Harbor side) is always less busy and so it's a breeze to get into DD, there is never the super long bottleneck that Harbor can get. You can also use the monorail once the park has opened and that drops you off in Tomorrowland. It can be a feet saver at beginning or end of day. You can also leave the parks and walk through the GCH for a little shortcut back to your room. We've had really good experiences at all of these properties which is why we keep going back. None of them are high end resorts, but we've found them to be nice, clean properties and we've liked the customer service we've experienced and the fact that they're close enough to walk.
Ya, the HoJo is the one I have seen You Tubers stay at and it does look nice. It had my interest the most.

I do want to for certain visit Disneyland at some point. I was in San Diego just last week. But what has got my interest really up is the fact that next May we are booked on the Dream. And I want a back up vacation plan just in case we see a repeat next year of what is going down this year with the virus.

I usually stay on site, so obviously worth it to me. However, I often share the cost and/or go when I get good ('good' being very subjective when referencing Disney) rates. Right now, I have a room booked for DLH in April at $340+/night, and I'm sharing the cost with a friend. The Courtyard Marriott is roughly the same price. I personally don't like motels on Harbor at a level anywhere close to how much I like the DLR hotels, but I've stayed in most of them at one time or another. It's about your personal price point and what you value. At my stage of the game I value experience over rides so where I stay is of more importance than for someone who just wants a decent place to sleep when they finally stumble back to the room after closing.

I used to love PPH but it’s too expensive for me. I stay offsite.
If you stay at GCH, you have a private entrance into DCA and are steps away from DL.

steps...

The one time I stayed at the Grand we were literally the next furthest away from the esplanade as you could be. I mapped it, and we were coming close to the distance from room to esplanade (which you traverse to get to Disneyland OR to get to DCA on days where you want the advantage for RSR) as from HoJo sidewalk to the same spot. Painful.

Who's gotten mugged off site (within what most of us consider walking distance of the gates)?

I’ve even stayed further than most would consider walking distance and there haven’t been issues.

A fight broke out in Toon Town last year. Whether you stay in the bubble or outside the bubble, you are still in a place with other people, some of which are unpredictable

And what about the nasty flight some years back at magic kingdoms tea cups? People are scary sometimes.

So let me ask you this, what is your favorite GNH and why?

I don’t care about “good neighbor.” It’s not something I look for.

I’ve liked HoJo, Hilton Anaheim, Desert Palms are all ones I’d stay in again. It’s called something else now, but Country Inn and Suites was good. So was Hilton Garden Inn, but most don’t call that walking distance.

The one I really want to try is Candy Cane Inn. Easy walk, cute, breakfast. And if you really want to not walk, it has its own shuttle (which is very very rare in Anaheim).

The one I really want to try is Candy Cane Inn. Easy walk, cute, breakfast. And if you really want to not walk, it has its own shuttle (which is very very rare in Anaheim).
As @bumbershoot is likely aware, Disneyland restricts the use of hotel shuttles onto their property. I believe there are five hotels with their own shuttle service to DLR which were grandfathered in at some point. CCI is one of them. It is rare not because Anaheim hotels are stingy or uncaring, but because DLR is selective.

:wizard:

Just another plug for CCI, only stayed there once because the availability just hasn't worked out. Very clean, well-kept property with beautiful plants and flowers, nice pool area (but small), and the included breakfast and shuttle are great!

And we have never had an issue or felt unsafe or even approached by anyone transient or otherwise along Harbor and Katella. We allow the kids (older now) to make that walk by themselves if they'd like to and I've walked it as a sole female, day and night.

As @bumbershoot is likely aware, Disneyland restricts the use of hotel shuttles onto their property. I believe there are five hotels with their own shuttle service to DLR which were grandfathered in at some point. CCI is one of them. It is rare not because Anaheim hotels are stingy or uncaring, but because DLR is selective.

Oh that’s interesting. I didn’t know that was the reason so few hotels have shuttles!

Also- don't get hung up on the "Good Neighbor Hotel" designation. It is literally meaningless at DLR. The hotel has simply paid a fee to Disney to be included in the Good Neighbor program which allows people to book those offsite hotels as part of a package through Disney. That's it.

Which leads me to my next bit- if you are considering booking as a package through Disney, don't unless you must have the ability to pay in installments (and possibly not even then). You can pretty much always find better deals on the offsite hotels by booking directly or using sites like Orbitz or CheapTickets (with promo codes).

For favorites, it depends on what you're preferences are and the size and needs of your party. There's a superthread on here about selecting your hotel- I suggest reviewing that. When all of us go, we're a family of 5 and my kids (14, 10, 8- all girls) don't really like to share beds. I like the HoJo, especially the kids suite, since it allows all 3 of our kids to have their own bed AND has TWO bathrooms. I also liked Courtyard Theme Park for room size and layout- one bathroom but it has two sections and both have a shower or tub but it can be pricey. Love Tropicana for super close, clean place but the rooms are definitely smaller. I didn't love CCI as much as some others here but it was OK. Maybe I need to give it another try.
For a bit farther afield, I like the Homewood Suites, again for room size and layout as well as decent free breakfast. It's also next to the Toy Story parking lot so you do have the alternate option of walking to that lot and taking the shuttle to the parks, though you can walk to the parks as well. I'm not a big fan of the Hilton Anaheim- it won't accommodate our family of 5 very well anyway but I've stayed there for work/solo park visits. The rooms seem small and in need of update to me. That said, it can often be very cheap if there isn't anything happening at the convention center (which it is adjacent to) so I would certainly stay there if the price was right.

Also- don't get hung up on the "Good Neighbor Hotel" designation. It is literally meaningless at DLR. The hotel has simply paid a fee to Disney to be included in the Good Neighbor program which allows people to book those offsite hotels as part of a package through Disney. That's it.

Which leads me to my next bit- if you are considering booking as a package through Disney, don't unless you must have the ability to pay in installments (and possibly not even then). You can pretty much always find better deals on the offsite hotels by booking directly or using sites like Orbitz or CheapTickets (with promo codes).

For favorites, it depends on what you're preferences are and the size and needs of your party. There's a superthread on here about selecting your hotel- I suggest reviewing that. When all of us go, we're a family of 5 and my kids (14, 10, 8- all girls) don't really like to share beds. I like the HoJo, especially the kids suite, since it allows all 3 of our kids to have their own bed AND has TWO bathrooms. I also liked Courtyard Theme Park for room size and layout- one bathroom but it has two sections and both have a shower or tub but it can be pricey. Love Tropicana for super close, clean place but the rooms are definitely smaller. I didn't love CCI as much as some others here but it was OK. Maybe I need to give it another try.
For a bit farther afield, I like the Homewood Suites, again for room size and layout as well as decent free breakfast. It's also next to the Toy Story parking lot so you do have the alternate option of walking to that lot and taking the shuttle to the parks, though you can walk to the parks as well. I'm not a big fan of the Hilton Anaheim- it won't accommodate our family of 5 very well anyway but I've stayed there for work/solo park visits. The rooms seem small and in need of update to me. That said, it can often be very cheap if there isn't anything happening at the convention center (which it is adjacent to) so I would certainly stay there if the price was right.
If the situation arises where we have to forgo the cruise, I will have like 6,000 in Disney gift cards. (because I can usually clear 6-7% off) So I would have to book with Disney. We would need two rooms where ever we stay, but I am hoping to be cruising.

I will look up CCI.
We love CCI and always get the Premium Rooms (makes a big difference). The Premium Rooms are larger, have laminate flooring, have a small fridge and a microwave, have a DVD player (free rentals at the front desk), amenities basket, bath robes, free breakfast delivered to the room every day (huge perk when trying to get everyone ready in the morning!), free parking, great customer service, etc. The free private shuttle runs on time. The walk to the Harbor bag check is about 10-12 minutes. There are 2 convenience stores next door and a 24/7 CVS and a 24/7 Walgreens about 3 minutes away.

OP: if you are fans of loyalty points, stick with chain hotels to build up your point totals. If you don't care about points, but want to be close, close, close to the entrance, stick with the hotels/motels closest to the Harbor crosswalk. (Look at Google Maps to see which properties are closest.) Just about any of the properties right by the Harbor crosswalk will be about 5 minutes to the park gates and should be basic, but fine. If you only care about low rates, use Expedia, Hotwire, Priceline, etc. Or look closer to the Toy Story lot (again, use Google Maps) -- the walk may be a bit further, but you can take the free shuttles, to/from the parks. If you are willing to take Uber/Lyft, you can stay in Garden Grove (the Hyatt OC is a nice hotel! Only a mile or so from the parks). There are so many options -- it all depends on your priorities.

My understanding is that focus on pushing people to ART service is not about selectivity, it's about congestion relief and regulatory limits imposed by the City of Anaheim. If every (or even many) hotels operated shuttles, Harbor Blvd would be overwhelmed all day with hotel shuttle buses and there would be insufficient space at Disneyland to accommodate them all. I don't believe the City of Anaheim allows hotels within City limits (other than the few grandfathered shuttles like CCI and Majestic Garden) to operate shuttles. That's why you're more likely to find a shuttle from a hotel in Garden Grove, Buena Park, etc., although many of those use the Harbor Blvd drop-off/pick-up lot rather than the Disney bus zone.

We're staying at DLH in November to mark a couple of special occasions (DS's college graduation, DGD's 6th birthday), but this will probably be the only time. The costs far outweigh the benefits.

Just realized that the HoJo standard rooms only have full beds. That will not work for us. So that one is out the window if we visit.

We have stayed at HoJo many times. On the last trip, we had adjoining rooms, one with a king bed and one with two queens. I don't recall them being that much more expensive.

We have stayed at HoJo many times. On the last trip, we had adjoining rooms, one with a king bed and one with two queens. I don't recall them being that much more expensive.
Well when you book directly with Disneyland, which I would have to do, the only option I seen was the standard rooms. But they could have just been sold out of the others?

When we’re with kids, we typically stay on park (GCH > DLH > PPH) just so we don’t have to cross Harbor Blvd, Katella Ave, or Disney Way.

EMH is neutered a bit as the regular turnstiles have been opening at 0720-0730 (and unless you’re in front, the Fantasyland lines are almost the same).

GCH private entrance is a huge time saver for naps and getting around.

Cost is a huge consideration, so if paying for the on-park hotels crimp other worthy spending (like popcorn and churros), then it isn’t “worth” it.

it’s definitely a high premium for marginal benefits, but if the most “friction free” Disney experience is what you’re looking for, this is how it’s done.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter