On or off site?

DisneyDillyDally

Mouseketeer
We’re a family of three, our last several trips to DW we have stayed at Wilderness Lodge. I love the common areas there and the easy access to MK. We didn’t love the food last time we went. I’m looking at deluxe on site options versus Hilton Buena Vista Palace (I think it’s called). Wondering if others are starting to think the balance is shifting in favour of non-Disney hotels? Or any general thoughts on Disney hotel versus this specific Hilton? Struggling with this decision …

Last edited:
I looked them up, it looks like they are in the DS area. They do have a shuttle to the parks but I don't know how reliable that is. If you are driving there is a daily parking fee and a daily resort fee, the website doesn't say how much the resort fee is.

I guess it depends on a number of factors. Will you have your own transportation. You say you didn't love the food but where did you eat and are you just talking about at the resort? It looks like the Hilton has a pool bar, a lounge and a sort of restaurant that is open for breakfast, brunch and dinner but the dinner menu doesn't look that exciting to me. If you don't have your own transportation, you are either going to have to Uber or rely on their shuttle.

I have stayed off site years ago and swore I would never do it again. I did not like driving and parking at the parks. I enjoy the fact that every resort on property has some sort of transporation, for me that is one of the major benefits and I actually have a car with me. WL is not the cheapest resort on property, possibly you should look into the other options. If you still want to be on property but are o.k. with not a huge amount of Disney feel, the Swan/Dolphin are great options at half the price depending on when you look. I know I have a room booked at the Dolphin for the first week in April, after you factor in the resort fee and the parking fee, it will be around $380/night (that is with an AP discount). It is walkable to both HS and Epcot or you can take a boat. Because it's a Marriot, the buses can't drop you off where the Disney buses do but I think where they drop you off at AK is actually closer. The only bad transportation option there is the bus to MK drops you off at TTC, which a lot of people don't like, I don't mind. You can always walk over to YC or BW and catch a bus there. They are Mears buses most of the time so pretty comfortable and run on the same schedule as the Disney buses do. I would think it probably has more of a "Disney feel" then the HIlton.

You will need to consider which parks you will be going to, how you will get to the parks and how long it will take to get there. An offsite hotel may be cheaper for the room, but if you have to rent a car, is it still cheaper overall (cost of the car itself, parking, gas)? Will the driver wish he could just be a passenger?

The first time I went to Universal, we rented a car and I always had to drive after long days at the park.

I have found it all depends on how much money you want to spend. I HATE Disney buses so we almost always rent a car, so not having to drive to the parks isn't a draw for me. We stayed at the regular Hilton at Disney Springs and really enjoyed it. Loved being able to walk to Disney Springs in the evening. We took the hotel shuttle to the theme parks and then took a Disney bus to the Springs each evening to have supper and walk home (and avoid paying to park at the parks). We are not bubble people, not rope droppers so early entry holds no appeal for us. However- later this week we are staying at Coronado Springs. It was affordable and I have wanted to take DH there for a while. Once again, it's all a question of what the budget will allow!

We've stayed both onsite and offsite many times over the years. Our onsite stays are usually in DVC villas. Our offsite stays are usually in timeshare resorts or private home/condo/townhome rentals.

The vacation experiences are more alike than they are different. There is something to be said for the seamless "in the bubble" experience of an onsite stay. There is also something to be said for saving big bucks that can be used for something else---a splurge meal or experience at WDW, or something else entirely.

I'd suggest giving offsite a try but (a) only if you will have a car (yours or a rental), and (b) consider something other than Just A Hotel Room. There are lots of nice options--you can get some more insight in the Orlando forum.

https://www.disboards.com/forums/orlando-hotels-and-attractions.15/

We recently stayed one night at the Hilton Lake Buena Vista and liked it. Easy walk to DS via the elevated cross walk. We are on site fans so wouldn’t do our entire trip off site but for a couple of nights it was fine.

I have found it all depends on how much money you want to spend. I HATE Disney buses so we almost always rent a car, so not having to drive to the parks isn't a draw for me. We stayed at the regular Hilton at Disney Springs and really enjoyed it. Loved being able to walk to Disney Springs in the evening. We took the hotel shuttle to the theme parks and then took a Disney bus to the Springs each evening to have supper and walk home (and avoid paying to park at the parks). We are not bubble people, not rope droppers so early entry holds no appeal for us. However- later this week we are staying at Coronado Springs. It was affordable and I have wanted to take DH there for a while. Once again, it's all a question of what the budget will allow!
We used Uber a lot when we were at WL, because we’re slightly impatient and we wanted to go when we wanted to go, so like you the Disney transportation/parking fees isn’t a huge factor for us. Proximity to DS is appealing with the Hilton.

We recently stayed one night at the Hilton Lake Buena Vista and liked it. Easy walk to DS via the elevated cross walk. We are on site fans so wouldn’t do our entire trip off site but for a couple of nights it was fine.
Thanks. I was also thinking we could do a few nights in a Disney hotel and a few nights not.

The offsite resorts seem to always have a special where parking is free or no resort fee etc. and I noticed that the room cost listed already includes the $39 resort fee, plus you get free breakfast, and like you said easy access to DS for food options. Plus even with the extra fees, you still save a lot of $$ over a deluxe resort. Out of all our trips, we have only stayed offsite twice and we really enjoyed it. But we still rather stay onsite and our family has come to really like POP with the skyliner and the price is not bad yet. If we only liked to stay at the deluxe resorts than yes we would look at staying offsite more often. Also, I will add that we drive to WDW so we can always drive if needed, but we do not drive to the parks and would much rather use WDW transportation.

This is my own reasoning for staying on site (from a money perspective).

There isn't such a think as a 'resort fee' in the UK, so I was shocked when researching off site hotels many years ago, with this fee being around $35 a night, and some also charged on top of that for parking (we have a hire car), which could be another $30 a night, then add in Disney parking charges each day, it seemed more and more sensible for us to pay a little extra to stay on site, and be able to enter the parks earlier, join virtual queue earlier, and a few other benefits.

We’ve had a few recent and relatively recent experiences off site, and they can be fine, but food isn’t generally the reason we go there. I’d much rather stay at a Disney resort for better food options. I sort of know what you mean at WL/FW there’s a lot of BBQ - I’m not a big BBQ person, either. @leebee mentioned Coronado Springs, there are a ton of food options there. (Just recently enjoyed meals at both Maya Grill and Three Bridges and all were really good.)

We’ve had a few recent and relatively recent experiences off site, and they can be fine, but food isn’t generally the reason we go there. I’d much rather stay at a Disney resort for better food options. I sort of know what you mean at WL/FW there’s a lot of BBQ - I’m not a big BBQ person, either. @leebee mentioned Coronado Springs, there are a ton of food options there. (Just recently enjoyed meals at both Maya Grill and Three Bridges and all were really good.)
We are at CSR right now! We had terrific nachos at Rix Sports Bar for lunch a couple of days ago, and a late dinner last night at THree Bridges. The sangria flight was fun, and enough for two of us to share with dinner, and the corn dip appetizer was great! We shared the mahi mahi/shrimp curry, and it was also very good but above my spice level. They serve the red curry sauce sort-of on the side, only on part of the rice. Next time, we'll ask for it as a separate side, not on the rice at all. We both really enjoyed it, but it's a tad hot (I do buffalo wings either mild or medium, as a reference).

I've stayed at the Hilton Buena Vista Palace. It is pretty nice, and being able to eat at Disney Springs while working remote was a lot of fun. But the theming doesn't come close to Disney deluxe resorts.

The rooms are fine. The furniture is generic and the rooms are a little smaller than deluxe resorts. The pool is really nice, even though it isn't heavily themed. And they have a pretty good quick service restaurant if you need food in a hurry.

The bus transportation runs every hour and works well. You are supposed to reserve it ahead of time for the morning busses to the park, but no need in the afternoons or when coming back. You get early entry, and the first bus of the morning gets to the parks with plenty of time to rope drop. The last bus is late enough after fireworks that you'll be able to take your time getting to the stop. The only time it can be a pain is if you want a midday break at the hotel. It also doesn't run for parties, but I took the Saratoga bus back from MVMCP and walked back over.

I would stay there again, but if I had the choice, I would probably go for a Disney moderate over it.

I don't think you will regret staying at the Poly. We stayed there for the first time a couple of years ago and absolutely loved it - everything from the theming to the hospitality of the folks who worked there. We are going back this coming May.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter