• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

On Line Check in

OHIOVACATIONER

DIS Veteran
What are the advantages to on line check in? They say the rooms are not assigned until the day of. In your opinion do they assign the on line rooms first? Also we have 2 parties that would like to be on the same floor (close proximity to each other) so do both parties have to do the on line check in? I am considering but not sure they are. Thx

I called the reservation line when we had multiple rooms booked and asked if they had some way to link the reservations to show we were traveling together. They've always been able to give us rooms together. They were the same room category and type

What are the advantages to on line check in? They say the rooms are not assigned until the day of. In your opinion do they assign the on line rooms first? Also we have 2 parties that would like to be on the same floor (close proximity to each other) so do both parties have to do the on line check in? I am considering but not sure they are. Thx

You don’t have to wait in the absurd line that takes 45 mins to get through. That’s honestly about it though because you can handle the rooms being close to each other on the phone.

You don’t have to wait in the absurd line that takes 45 mins to get through. That’s honestly about it though because you can handle the rooms being close to each other on the phone.
In over dozens of stays we have Never experienced a 45 minute line
OP Rooms are assigned 4-5 days in advance. If you do online check in you may get a text with your room number when your room is ready. You will be able to go directly there

When you do online check in, is it still necessary to stop at the lobby or do you just go straight to your room and use your magic band to get in?

As mentioned, the biggest advantage of online check-in is that you can bypass the regular line at the front desk. If you are eligible to receive a text/email with your room number, you can go straight to your room when you receive that without stopping at the front desk at all. If you don't or can't receive the text, there's usually a separate line at the front desk or a CM with an iPad somewhere that can assist those who have completed online check-in, making for a shorter wait. Also, you are able to provide your approximate arrival time and in my own experience, that has equated to me having a room ready before or close to the time I'm arriving.

In over dozens of stays we have Never experienced a 45 minute line
OP Rooms are assigned 4-5 days in advance. If you do online check in you may get a text with your room number when your room is ready. You will be able to go directly there
Eh maybe a little exaggerated. But still it saves time.

Keep in mind that if you're at a Value or Mod and are planning to decline housekeeping, you have to go to the front desk on arrival day anyway.

The exaggeration does not help new posters looking for information.

Actually, I've had the people who assign rooms call me several days in advance to one of my trips because they noted I had a 1 day reservation and then a 4 or 5 night reservation at the same hotel. At the time of booking I just could not find a room that was the same category for my whole stay. Well, before my trip they called to say they did have a room in the same category for my length of stay did I want that? The one night ressie was for a higher category room (that I didn't want anyways) and they refunded me the difference. While they couldn't combine the reservation #s together, they could tell me that I wouldn't have to move rooms at all. So, they do plan your rooms a few days out in advance of your trip.

The exaggeration does not help new posters looking for information.

Neither does you complaining about something small, but since we want to be literal I waited 20 mins at the check in desk line to get information on adding someone to our room.

So it stops you from waiting around 20 mins in line. Better?

Every time we do online check in, we receive a text with our room number once the room is ready and then when we arrive at the resort, we go straight to our room and use our magic bands to get in.

It has worked really well for us!

Not an exaggeration if one is trying to check in at Port Orleans Riverside around 3 pm just after the Magical Express bus drop-off, as I well know from personal experience.

The wait was so long Grandfather stood in the line while I took the lovely, overexcited, restless, wild bunch of little angels to the food court for an early dinner. We finished eating before he was done checking in to the resort. I didn’t set a stopwatch but I’m sure it was close to an hour.

So yeah, their may be a wait during check-in. Everyone’s experience with the mouse may vary, it’s just the luck of the draw.

Not an exaggeration if one is trying to check in at Port Orleans Riverside around 3 pm just after the Magical Express bus drop-off, as I well know from personal experience.

The wait was so long Grandfather stood in the line while I took the lovely, overexcited, restless, wild bunch of little angels to the food court for an early dinner. We finished eating before he was done checking in to the resort. I didn’t set a stopwatch but I’m sure it was close to an hour.

So yeah, their may be a wait during check-in. Everyone’s experience with the mouse may vary, it’s just the luck of the draw.
For me it was Port Orleans Riverside this past August. I had even done the online check in but still had to wait an hour on the line because none of our magic bands were opening our door and the app wasn't working either.

Keep in mind that if you're at a Value or Mod and are planning to decline housekeeping, you have to go to the front desk on arrival day anyway.

No you do not. You can call from your room. Some people even receive a call/message about it when they get to their room.

Neither does you complaining about something small, but since we want to be literal I waited 20 mins at the check in desk line to get information on adding someone to our room.

So it stops you from waiting around 20 mins in line. Better?
I actually have waited more than 45 minutes once. A few times almost 45 minutes. It seems like every time I check in or need to talk to somebody at the front desk, lines move slowly.

This summer when we checked into The Poly, I was so happy to beat the magical express people who poured into the lobby right behind me. There were only 3 people ahead of me in line, but only 3 CM's checking people in. I still waited about 30 minutes in line as those CM's tried to help people switch rooms. I felt sorry for the people at the end of that line.

No you do not. You can call from your room. Some people even receive a call/message about it when they get to their room.

this is new since I was last at Disney. It has always been that you have to do it in person at the desk on the day of arrival. I was not aware it had changed.

I'm new to all of this online check in. I'm trying to understand something. It seems all resort hotels have online check in. It also seems some you can check in online and then once you are informed your room is ready by text message, you can go straight to your room. However, it seems some resorts require you to also check in at the hotel? Maybe in another line?

I will be staying at AKL next year. Can anyone tell me if you can do online check in and avoid the line? Basically, go straight to your room?

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter