• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

OMG 405 to be closed in July!

brenda1966

DIS Veteran
On the weekend I need to drive from Santa Barbara to Disneyland, the 405 is going to be CLOSED! It's going to be a nightmare drive. Am looking for any advice on a suggested route. We may need some depends to wear and food in the car as we sit on the CA highways all day long. :scared1:

Okay, unlike Al Lutz's speculations and rumors being often false cause for panic, this is not one of Al's and is VERY real and 100% correct.

The 405 will be closed between the 101 and 10 freeways beginning July 15th through July 17th (Friday, Saturday, and Sunday). The affected area will reopen the following Monday.

This is HUGE.

Alternate routes are tough and could be just a nightmare to be honest.

Southern Californians are referring to that weekend in that area as Carmageddon.

The mayor has been quoted as saying: "Plan ahead. Avoid the area. Or, stay home."

There is a fantastic article (that I can't link to because it's an outside site), but it's called, "53 ways to survive without the 405." It's pretty funny, but meant in somewhat-seriousness for Carmageddon.

- Dreams (who really doesn't know what to tell you about alternate routes except to research some of the public transport around LA that weekend that is going to be FREE to attempt to help people who must go somewhere actually get there)

I don't know your dates, party size, budget, or MPG :flower3: but if you don't NEED a car, then have you run the numbers for Amtrak? I believe they do AAA discounts, too. It might end up taking longer than the drive would have, but probably less frustration.

If you're driving hopefully someone can give you a good alternate route! Google actually says by default to take the 101 to the 5, but I imagine the 101 will be a mess too?

Good luck! Have a great trip!

Amtrak just sounds like torture to me. It's 4 hours, plus the time you have to spend getting there early enough to check your bags, etc. I'm thinking about it in the back of my mind, but honestly, I'd rather drive myself for 4 hours than sit on a train. Trains hold no romantic notions for me.

Thanks DisneyDreams for confirming my sense of panic. It's nice to know Carmageddon has a name. Will I get an "I survived Carmageddon" t-shirt when all is said and done? :)

I've been advised to take the 118 to the 210, all the way over to the 57. On the map it looks reasonable. But I'm open to other suggestions.

...Will I get an "I survived Carmageddon" t-shirt when all is said and done? :)...

LOL You might! You will certainly deserve one. :goodvibes There truly are some being sold from various places!

I know you said you don't like the idea of a train, but on that particular weekend, it might be the best option. Seriously. That drive could be awful. Or... the rest of the world will heed to "don't drive" warning and you will have the roads to yourself. :drive:

If it were me, I would do just about anything NOT to drive that route that weekend. You'll have to let us know what you decide - and how it goes.

- Dreams

Hi Brenda

Santa Barbara to Disneyland - there's no reason I can see for you to be anywhere near the section of the 405 that will be closed for a week-end in July. I would take the 118 to the 5 all the way to Disneyland. I live in the San Fernando Valley and that's how we usually go unless for some reason the 5 is bad. The alternate that was suggested for you (118-210-57) would also work but is a bit out of the way.

I plan on 75 minutes from SFV to Disneyland. Add however long it takes for you to drive from Santa Barbara to SFV and that's your estimated drive time.

Kathy

Brenda, I'm in the same boat. We HAVE to drive down to DL on Saturday, July 16 from the SF Bay Area. I'll be on 5 the entire way, which isn't supposed to be closed, but will likely have much more traffic due to the shut down. I wish 5 had a longer carpool lane.

Anyone know of other routes through LA with a carpool lane?

The alternate routes suggested are good choices, but I think you understand that all that traffic that WAS on the 405 will now be on the 5 (and other routes) so there really isn't a great way around it. You really only have two choices. Plan for a longer than usual trip, or take the train.

I've been on Amtrak several times and it really isn't bad at all. I'd like to dispell some of your stated fears.

1) You don't check your bags. You bring your bags with you to the train and they are placed in a baggage area. When you leave the train, you go get your bags and take them with you.

2) The train isn't like taking a public bus. You have plenty of opportunity to get up and move around and there are several "ammenities" such as: a) They have a dining car when you can have an actual sit-down meal, with a waiter, just like a decent restaurant. b) They have a viewing car (the Coast Starlight to Union Station at least) where you can sit on the second floor and enjoy the view while you visit with others, play cards, etc. c) They have a "lounge" car where you can get a variety of drinks, snacks or other food items. It is sort of like a miniature 7-eleven. There is a good variety, but bring cash.

3) You will have assigned seating that is based on which stop you will leave the train. That means you won't see a lot of people getting on and off the train at every stop.

4) I have not looked this up, but your route would likely require you to board the Coast Starlight to Union Station. I think you can stay on that train into Anaheim where you would get off in the parking lot of Angel Stadium. You should be able to get a shuttle from there to your Hotel near DLR. The Anaheim station is relatively small and very clean.

5) You really can sit back and relax and start your vacation as soon as you board the train. Read a book, go over your travel plans, play some games, have a drink, watch the countryside role by or even take a nap.

There are a few drawbacks. You will travel through some very interesting areas in and around Los Angeles. But you will be safely inside the train looking out so in some respects it gives you a chance to see some things you might not otherwise ever see. It isn't really *bad* but it probably isn't what you are used to either. It will take longer than a car and there isn't much flexibility in the schedule.

If you are interested, you can decide to leave the DLR area earlier on your return trip and plan some additional time around Union Station to visit Chinatown and Olvera street. You can take the metrolink, which runs on a more frequent schedule and is more of a commuter train, to Union Station and board your train to Santa Barbara when it arrives. Again, that would depend on the schedule.

I will be making the drive from San Jose to DL that Sunday. :/

On the possible bright side, maybe the crowds will be down from people avoiding the drive? :thumbsup2

1+for Amtrak. I am posting this as we head south to Anaheim. We are just leaving Oxnard now and will be at Anaheim at 1. This is our third trip from San Obispo to Disneyland on Amtrak. -Suzanne

I will be making the drive from San Jose to DL that Sunday. :/

On the possible bright side, maybe the crowds will be down from people avoiding the drive? :thumbsup2

We're in the same boat. Leaving San Jose that Sunday, but we're driving to Glendale since we're doing Universal first. We're going to leave around 8:00 a.m. I guess I'd be happy if we can get to our hotel by 7:00. That will include about an hour for lunch and various gas/restroom/snack stops. Luckily, our kids are on the older side (15 and 12) so they shouldn't cry and whine about the long drive too much!:lmao:

I agree with cyclenut. I feel like perhaps it is forgotten that those other routes which are "nowhere near the 405" will now be packed. They truly aren't joking when they say stay home if you can lol this is going be huge! I'd leave much earlier than planned, pack lots of food and water and just try to relax. The train doesn't sound fun but honestly you may spend just as long in the car. At least on the train you'll just keep moving and can get up and stretch if needed. Just a thought. Either way I wish you safe travels and let us know how it went!!

I also dont expect DL crowds to be much smaller that weekend as most coming in july are tourist and like you, they will be making that drive, or flying in.

Good luck! :)

The Surfliner train is quite nice. I took it from San Diego to Anaheim, so it sounds like it's the opposite way, but I quite liked it. And I'd rather be stuck 4 hours on a train where I can get up, use the bathroom, get some food, etc...than on a highway....

Then just catch a cab from the Angels Stadium station (a few years ago it was $13 by meter to DLH) and you're there!

I'll make one suggestion to avoid the 101 pass Ventura. 405 to Ventura, take 126 to the 5, endure the 5 until you get to the 210, hopefully the 210 will only be impacted to the 605, take the 210 to 57, 57 to 5 NORTH to DLR. Round about but I would attempt to avoid the 101 and 405 altogether that weekend.

On a positive note, we'll see you there...it's our anniversary weekend at GCV!!

woo glad i saw this... we normally take the 101 from San Jose( Bay Area) an since i jujst drive there i have no idea if that route hits the 405... i don't think so but I honestly don't know. If we took the 5 there we would miss the 405 but possible still have lots of traffic?
just curious. and im so glad as we will be driving on Sunday morning. Maybe i'll so Monday then....

As someone who has no knowledge of California roads, is this going to impact my drive back to LGB from the PVI on Sat July 16? We were planning on taking the I5, but would we be better off to take W Ball road right in? Should I leave earlier than the 2.5 hours I had planned?

Thanks for all your help.

I read on the amtrak site that luggage has to be checked in 30 minutes before boarding time or it will be "delayed". And to expect lines to check in, so in other words don't get there at exactly 30minutes prior or you might not make it if there's a line. Our luggage is not all carry on size and there are specific measurements on what can be carried on board and what needs to be checked. Public transportation and luggage checking are just so irritating. Flying is enough of a hassle, I really don't want to add a train into the mix.

I'm hoping all the locals will stay home and it will just be us crazy tourists on the roads.

Interesting.,.. here's what it says on that site:

Here are the I-405 freeway closure boundaries for the July 16-17 weekend:

Northbound I-405: 10-mile closure between I-10 and U.S. 101
Southbound I-405: 4-mile closure between U.S. 101 and Getty Center Drive Ramps

So... it seems like the closure is much smaller Southbound, which is the direction I'll be heading. Maybe this won't be so bad after all...

Let me ask a question for those of you more familiar with the area. I realize its not close to the impacted area but do you imagine somebody travelling on the 405 from D-land area to Long Beach airport at around 3p on that Saturday will have any major issues??...well beyond the normal traffic nightmares(!)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter