• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Older

daisey mae muggles

Earning My Ears
My mildly retarded son will be 29 this year. He would love to go on a Disney cruise, but I fear for how he will fit in. The shows will be fine, but I will guess that he should remain with us the rest of the time. He can be as excited as a seven year old and it can be hard with the looks from others. Any advice anyone can give will be greatly appreciated.

My DS is in his 20's and considered moderate and has other issues as well. GO and ENJOY and let him ENJOY ! I keep my son with me, mostly been because I don't trust others, but he is an adult now and even though he functions as a child, he wants to be with the adults. He wants to hang with us, and if it means I wait in line to meet Mickey with him, hey that's okay, I like Mickey too :thumbsup2

As far as ignorant looks, I don't care, he has done nothing wrong, he's just being himself as he was made to be. I stay focused on him having a good time and us having a good time, and to those who stare - let them, stare long enough and they will get the "evil eye" pirate: as my other kids call it.

Wishing you and your son lots of magic :wizard:

On every Disney cruise I've been on there are just as many adults in line to see the characters as there are children- it really is a cruise for all ages and abilities. He wouldn't be able to participate in children's programming but there are plenty of family activities, shows, etc. I've almost always seen someone with a mental challenge as well as the physically disabled and they are not only given special attention from the crew members but they always have a huge smile, so I agree...go and ENJOY! ---Kathy

my dh (42) has moderate to severe learning disabilities, he hasn't any tact, sense of danger, etc (though he tries really hard!) sometimes he's like a kid, sometimes a moody teenager, sometimes he snaps back into grumpy old man mode, lol.

he had a blast at wdw, he likes the shows, the character greetings, just hanging out and taking in the disney magic! :wizard:

most people were just fine with him, in fact most people are, there is something in him that is innocent which seems to attract people. he had a grin on his face from the moment we arrived there...

have a blast guys!

I have seen adults with both physical and mental challenges on Disney Cruises. They all seem to be accepted and having a good time. Don't miss the Sail Away Party on the Pool Deck as the ship leaves the port. Disney characters, kids and grownups are dancing on the top decks. :banana:

Have you looked at the Disney Cruise Line forum?

Great post HopperFan...we've done 3 Disney cruises...DS is 15 so we've gotten some looks...but as you said...the evil eye does wonders...not my problem if others are ignorant.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter