Older ships

Partyof4LA

Mouseketeer
I had a last minute work schedule change that puts me off some of the days DS has a school break (the week after Easter) and we are considering booking a cruise. I've only cruised Disney, which we loved, and Carnival which we have no interest trying again in the near future. Disney has no availability for the dates we need.

I looked at RCCL. To not miss any days of work/school, we would have to book a 4 night Bahamas on the majesty or enchantment, which I think are older ships.

There is also a 4 night western on the Independence and a 5 night key west & grand cayman on the Empress. We would miss a day of work/school for these. We've done Cozumel before and it is the only stop on the Independence sailing. We have never done KW or GC.

Is it worth it to book on one of the older ships (empress, majesty, or enchantment) or will we be disappointed after just recently cruising on Disney Dream? My kids are 3 and 8. I appreciate any feedback!

I think it's important that you review ships and understand the differences- from what I gather you will notice a big difference between the Dream and the older ships.. I have only been on the Fantasy and then on Oasis and Freedom (same class as Indy) which I found comparable, but from what I read, there will be a diffidence between the Dream and the others. I think if you keep an open mind and accept you want to enjoy what the ship and trip have to offer, and try not to compare to the Dream, you will have a great time

I had a last minute work schedule change that puts me off some of the days DS has a school break (the week after Easter) and we are considering booking a cruise. I've only cruised Disney, which we loved, and Carnival which we have no interest trying again in the near future. Disney has no availability for the dates we need.

I looked at RCCL. To not miss any days of work/school, we would have to book a 4 night Bahamas on the majesty or enchantment, which I think are older ships.

There is also a 4 night western on the Independence and a 5 night key west & grand cayman on the Empress. We would miss a day of work/school for these. We've done Cozumel before and it is the only stop on the Independence sailing. We have never done KW or GC.

Is it worth it to book on one of the older ships (empress, majesty, or enchantment) or will we be disappointed after just recently cruising on Disney Dream? My kids are 3 and 8. I appreciate any feedback!
In order of preference - Indy, Enchantment (end of preference) ;) Would only do Majesty as a last resort - it is the last remaining Sovereign class ship, and until their subsidiary Pulmantur started tanking, they were either going to consign it to them or sell it to the Chinese. Empress is one of the ships that RCL acquired when it launched the business back in the last century, and they consigned it to Pulmantur years ago. They only brought it back because Pulmantur's book of business couldn't support the oldest ship in its fleet of really old ships. I have closets larger than their suites :eek:

huge step up to Indy from the others--so if ship is important, then go with Indy and just pick a diffferent thing to do in Coz. If you really want to try new ports, then Empress with the udnerstanding that you are sailing for the ports, not the ship's amenities. My kids liked all the RCCL kids clubs from ages 5-11, even on Majesty and older ships--they didn't care. Not interested in an Bahamas cruises anymore. W. Carib. on Indy is a huge step up from Bahamas on Majesty, IMHO.

Thanks for all of your input! I am leaning towards the Independence, just need to make sure I could have someone switch days with me for that last day. If not, it will have to be older ship or wait another time to cruise.
I know there will be differences from DCL and will have an open mind about it. I have no intention of comparing the two lines the whole time, they will be separate experiences. I just wanted to make sure the older ships were not so horribly run down with a complete lack of things to do (like the Carnival Triumph was...) that we would regret booking at all.

Of the ships you mentioned, I have only been on the Empress decades ago. It is a very small ship (I guess you could say "intimate"). However, one thing I could say about the smaller, older RCCL ships is that the staff seem to go out of their way to make sure you are having a good time. I find it easier to get to know the crew and they get to know me.

DH and I went on the Enchantment in 12/14. It is a much smaller ship than the Fantasy or other RCCL ships we've been on. It was a shock at first, but once we decided just to take it for what it was and not compare, we had an awesome time. Every ship, new/older, large or small, have their good and bad features, just relax and enjoy.

I personally would pick the Independence. I've sailed on it twice and had a fantastic time both times! Lots to do!

I hope you didn't book on the Empress - the first 6 cruises out of dry dock were cancelled today as the ship is not ready.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter