• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

older boy and girl siblings in same room??

vicb

DIS Veteran
Sharing a queen bed not yet a problem for my DD age 10 and DS age 7 but I'm sure at some point it will be. Two rooms is out of the question at Disney sooooo what do you all do? Is it a problem? Does mom sleep with DD and Dad with DS? Just wondering.....:confused:

We have 3 kids, so that's a different problem altogether, but you could take a sleeping bag or aerobed for them to alternate sleeping on, or you may have to go with a deluxe room that has a daybed for one of them. The WL and AKL have some rooms with bunkbeds also. You could also get 2 connecting rooms and let them have their own room! (In a few years, of course)

Does mom sleep with DD and Dad with DS? Just wondering.....

That's what we do. DD is 5 DS is 13. thye have slept together off and on for a couple of yrs, but usually it was DD wantign to sleep with DH. DS moves a lot in his sleep and is a deep sleeper (all of my family but I am deep sleepers). He would roll over DD or me. DH however is one of those who sleeps right on the edge of the bed.
When we stayed at CR DS had the daybed, and DD had a bed of her own. It worked pretty well, but the CR is normally out of our price range.

Another vote for the sleeping bag. My sons actually fight over who gets to use the sleeping bag.:confused:

I don't have a problem with my big kids (9yog/11yob) sleeping in the same room, but I draw the line on the same bed. If we can get a rollaway we do that; otherwise we make a pile of blankets on the floor for DS. He has no problem sleeping anywhere.

We put the boys together or still have DD share with one of her older brothers. Although now nobody wants to sleep with the other one. We've also had one sleep with each of us. It's always a fight which kid gets the studio bed. Sometimes we bring the aero so everyone can have their own space.

we have an air mattress .......It will fit in between the 2 beds if you move them ....one to the wall & the other towards the door (most resorts have the same set up). We put the mattress down at bed time & take it up in the morning & stand it against the wall. We have been doing this for a while. I have 3 kids. We usually travel without my husband so I can't see paying for a deluxe or an extra room when there's only 4 of us. I have 2 girls (10 & 14) and 1 son (16). My son is the one who gets the air mattress.....but I have to tell you.....they all fight over it.....they all want it!!!! I usually just ask housekeeping for extra pillows & a blanket.......sometimes if we remember as we are running out out the house we bring our own (we only live 3 hrs from Disney & go often....if you are driving it may be a bit harder to do that) ;)

When me and my brother would go with my parents (our last trip was back in the 80s when I was 16 and he was 15), we stayed at the Poly and I think there was a daybed or something, because he slept on that and I got the bed :D . I know we didn't bring anything extra into the room, and we didn't sleep in the same bed.

I take high school kids on overnight field trips, four to a room. I've stopped being surprised at the number of sleeping bags that make the trip, especially for the boys. Two boys that share a bed will BOTH sleep in sleeping bags on the bed. Maybe this is an option for you?

So far, we've just been able to get a roll-away for our own kids. DD11 and DS9 take turns with the roll-away and sleeping with DS3. He who wins the coin toss usually takes the roll-away. :)

DH sleeps with DS--age 10 and DD sleeps with me(mom)--age 12......maybe this isn't proper etiquette, but the kids dont' care and we can't afford anything fancier.....lol!!

I'll be in 18 May, I'm a female, and I never had a problem sleeping with my 15 year old brother...

I never understood the fuss about it, he's my brother, it's not like anything bad is going to happen. If anything we'll just smack each other around, lol.

I'd prefer to sleep with my mom, but if I have to sleep with my brother I'll deal.

humm - feeling releived that my 2 are both girls but:

Port Orleans has a trundle and two full beds and all the deluxe resorts have two queen and a daybed so your set there. AKL is a deluxe but often very affordable and offers a qeen/bunk configuration. The other moderates and value hotels on WDW property only offer two full size beds :-(

I think if I had a boy and a girl - until a certain age I would be comfortable letting them share a bed but with sleeping bags on top - YMMV! Then there is always one sleeps with mom and one with dad - your all in the same room anyway so............

The Cabins at FtWilderness are often affordable esp if you can get a code. These offer a queen and bunks in the bedroom as well as a murphy in the living area. The full kitchen area and grill outside may make enough savings on meals to cover the differences on a resort.

I have the flip side. An 11 year old daughter and a 10 year old son. I try very hard, when we can afford it, to have two rooms so that both children have their own bed. When we can't they still sleep in the same bed, but, I imagine this is going to stop in the next year or so................either 2 rooms or dad sleeps in the bed with our son and I sleep in the same bed with our daughter. This is why I am a big fan of kids suites. :)

jeannej

Our wonderful pediatrician says: When they are uncomfortable with the situation its time to make a change. As long as they have no problem with it, don't worry. Most of the time it's the girls that becomes uncomfortable first. You have gotten lots of great options! You will know when it's time to make that decission.

jordan's mom

I have now two teenage sons and one younger daughter. For years we played musical beds. My dd when much smaller slept on our bed most of the time anyway, but the problem was even when small (now 17 and 15) my two sons could not even look at each other - they started out sharing a bed but never finished this way.

My kids that are teenagers and older now slept with their brother/sister when we went to Disney. I am a widow and one night they slept with me and the other with their brother/sister. I couldn't afford two rooms.

My kids did sometimes sleep on the floor, at some hotels they actually preferred to sleep on the floor because they had more room.

We are all together and I see nothing wrong in that.

My children are younger, but I sleep with DD and DH sleeps with DS. This year we will be at WL and they can have their own bunkbed.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter