• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Old Wives' Tales and Superstitions

I'm southern so we have many. My MIL told me it was bad luck if it rained the day you got married, it meant that was how many tears you would shed during your marriage. She was right.
[/QUOTE]
Pretty sure I was told it was good luck if it rained on your wedding day.
My mama always told me not to be on the toilet or take a shower during a storm cause lightening could come hit me. Not sure about that one but I was cooking one day during one and my stove got zapped and a ball of fire spit out at me. Pretty sure that one was just because she was afraid of storms.
The stove is at least connected to the electrical lines, so I can see how that would be affected by a lightning strike. Not sure how the toilet and shower would be. The toilet especially since it's porcelain, which should be a good insulator.

My grandma shared all of these with me, and I still abide by them even though they seem silly:
If a wild bird flies into your house, it's a sign of death.
If you spill salt, you must throw a bit over your left shoulder.
A black cat crossing your path is a sign of bad luck.
No shoes on the table.
Dark shoes and purses between Labor Day and Easter Sunday.
Light shoes and purses between Easter Sunday and Labor Day.
Never open an umbrella in the house.

My grandmother always told me that "Rabbitt" should be the first thing you say on the first morning of the month.

If you do that, you'll be blessed with good luck all month. Her ancestors were part Penobscott Indians, so I wonder about the history of that old wives tale.
I love this! I wonder if you could try and figure out whether this was somehow part of Native American roots?

When my mom was expecting me there was a lunar eclipse, and it was said that it was bad luck for a pregnant woman not to look at an eclipse and to tie keys around her waist. My father recounted that he told her, "I don't believe in that "stuff" but I'm not taking any chances." lol

When I had nightmares around 3 (saw a dog tear a kitten apart), my grandmother put a broom under my bed and lit candles. My parents said my nightmares stopped after that.

I've never abided by any of those...

For my nephew that had nightmares - he came to our house one weekend, and I gave him a little wooden box and told him it was a dream catcher box, and he should put all his nightmares in there and lock them up before going to sleep. My (ex) sister-in-law told me that he would do that each night and not have any nightmares.

In Spain, my great aunt (she was 89 at the time) wouldn't let me take a shower after eating because I would die (her words). I used to have to sneak to other relatives' houses in the village if I wanted to take a shower after a meal. lol
Wow, just amazing how many of these superstitions are out there. Most of what you talked about I've never heard of. I love hearing about all the different ones. Thank you!

The stove is at least connected to the electrical lines, so I can see how that would be affected by a lightning strike. Not sure how the toilet and shower would be. The toilet especially since it's porcelain, which should be a good insulator.
[/QUOTE]
I know lightning can blow out your electronics. I do go around and unplug tv's and computers. I think the rain on your wedding day probably came from the idea that a wedding would be ruined if it rained, so someone came up with the idea that it was good luck. It's amazing how these things get passed down.

Water conducts electricity. Same reason they close the pools and stop running the boats at WDW when there's lightning in the area.

My grandma shared all of these with me, and I still abide by them even though they seem silly:
If a wild bird flies into your house, it's a sign of death.
If you spill salt, you must throw a bit over your left shoulder.
A black cat crossing your path is a sign of bad luck.
No shoes on the table.
Dark shoes and purses between Labor Day and Easter Sunday.
Light shoes and purses between Easter Sunday and Labor Day.
Never open an umbrella in the house.
I do wonder where some of these originated. I've heard about the salt, have no idea what the significance of that would be. The dark shoes and wearing white must have come from somewhere as well. Lots of times these things are put into play due to something very specific, we just don't always know the origin. I'd like to look into some of these a bit more. Google....

I'm southern so we have many. My MIL told me it was bad luck if it rained the day you got married, it meant that was how many tears you would shed during your marriage. She was right.

My mama always told me not to be on the toilet or take a shower during a storm cause lightening could come hit me. Not sure about that one but I was cooking one day during one and my stove got zapped and a ball of fire spit out at me. Pretty sure that one was just because she was afraid of storms.

My grand daddy was part native American and told me I should always have a cat's eye stone to ward off evil. He gave me my first one. I lost it but immediately bought a new one. One stays in the bottom of my purse at all times and if I'm not carrying a purse, one is in my pocket and I keep one in my car.

My grandmother always told us we should never look in a mirror at night. Not sure what would happen or the origin or that one but I don't look in a mirror at night unless lights are on in the room.

Oh, and yes, I still don't wear white after Labor Day and before Easter. I know where that one came from and it's not southern. In the early 1900s, those who were well-to-do often favored lightweight, bright clothing—white linen suits and breezy dresses. Wearing white after Labor Day meant you were someone who had the means to have end-of-summer vacations. Wearing your whites beyond Labor Day was just, well… showing off.

[/QUOTE]

I was also taught rain on your wedding day was good luck. We actually had a small rain shower, and then a rainbow just as we walked out of the church... and we've lasted 25 years. ❤️❤️

Apparently spilling salt was considered back luck and throwing it over your shoulder reversed the "curse" or the "bad luck". There seems to be a connection to the fact that salt was an expensive commodity and the superstition dates back to ancient Rome. There is also a religious connection in Christianity, whereas Judas spilled salt at the last supper.

Never take a pin or needle from someone trying to hand you one. Have them thread it through your shirt and then retrieve it or you will be 'stuck' with bad luck.

I was also taught rain on your wedding day was good luck. We actually had a small rain shower, and then a rainbow just as we walked out of the church... and we've lasted 25 years. ❤️❤️
[/QUOTE]
Maybe it's regional, I'm in north Ga. and my (now ex) MIL was a very old fashioned country woman. Or, maybe she just didn't want me to marry her son, oddly she thought I was too good for him. She did something with a limb from an oak tree when my son was born to keep him from getting thrush, I don't remember what it was but she had a lot of those things going on.

Pretty sure the shower and toilet were because of the water and conducting electricity. I remember Myth Busters actually tested the toilet one but for the life of me I can't remember the result, so Mama must not have been the only one who thought it.

I just remembered another one from my Mex-Am family. Don’t put your purse on the ground or your money will all run out.

Sometimes when we’re at a family gathering I will slowly start to put my purse in the ground. I like to see how long it will take before they all start yelling at me not to put my purse on the floor. Lol

Rain wasn’t good luck for Elizabeth or Will in pirates 2 or 3. :confused3

Last edited:
I've always been told you have to leave through the same door you entered. Not sure why but my mom's family is serious about this. We all know it's silly and superstitious, but for the most part, we do it.
Similar to leave the same door you entered my alma mater has one for a bell tower on campus called The Campanile. Originally finished in 1951 and restored in the mid-90s.

If you haven't graduated yet it's generally considered bad to even walk under it however I have heard also you can enter look around and then go back the way you entered. If you went through to the other side it means you won't graduate or for others even walking under it period means you won't graduate. Part superstition/part tradition but no one seems to know how this came about (the not graduating part).

Upon "walking down the hill" (which you do actually make your way down a winding path down a hill) during graduation ceremony you walk in through one side and out the other signifying your graduation.

The Campanile is a WWII memorial both for those students who lost their lives and for the thousands of students who served in other ways during that time period but it signifies the single biggest tradition of my alma mater IMO of walking through it as part of the graduation ceremony.

I remember all the usual ones like umbrellas in the house, don’t walk under a ladder, don’t break a Mirrior, don’t step on a crack, etc

When I was a teenager I came back from the mall to my in-laws house and put all my bags on the table. When she found out there were shoes in there, she quickly removed them and told me not to be crazy! New shoes can néver be put on a table Lol. I had not heard that one before

My great grandmother used to say “a whistling woman is a sign of the devil”. 😚

I remember my kids hiding spoons under pillow and wearing pajamas inside out in hopes for a snow day. They would also hold their breath when passing a graveyard so the ghosts didn’t go inside them. Lol

Pretty sure the shower and toilet were because of the water and conducting electricity. I remember Myth Busters actually tested the toilet one but for the life of me I can't remember the result, so Mama must not have been the only one who thought it.

The National Weather Service advises against using the toilet or showering during thunderstorms.

https://www.weather.gov/mlb/lightning_rules
Avoid contact with plumbing. When thunderstorms are occurring, do not take a shower or bath, wash dishes, or do the laundry. Wait until after the storm.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter