Old time disney guy, first time visit with family to the "new disney"

Glenn29

Does Jungle Cruise still take an E ticket
I was lucky growing up to visit MK multiple times in the 70s and 80s. I still remember having tickets in the park. Now I'm all grown up and bringing my family to the "new disney" of fast passes and ADRs. I am really looking forward to it, but also somewhat intimidated. I've been reading and planning as much as I can, but I'd really love any input if any parts of my planning seem crazy, unrealistic or unnecessarily, or if someone just seems to know an easier way to do something.

Just a few facts about my family, then I'll lay out my plan. I'm 51 and my wife is 36 (I know, cradle robber, LOL), we have a beautiful 5 yo daughter. My inlaws MIL and FIL are also coming. We are staying offsite for almost the entire trip (first two nights onsite), about 20 min away and will have a rental car for the entire duration of the trip.

I know there are no "slow times" at the parks anymore, but I did try and choose parks by what the calendars indicated would be slower days at each.

We arrive about 830pm Fri 2/1, so our vacation will really start the next day.

We have 7 Day park Hoppers, so changing parks is a possibility.

(I"ll put the start time of the fast pass as the time)
Sat 2/2
Plan is for Hollywood Studios
9:10 FP for Voyage of the LIttle Mermaid
9:50 FP for Toy Story Mania
11:00 FP for Frozen sing along celebration
No dining reservations, bkfast at home, light lunch then dinner prob offsite

There were no FP available for slinky dog

Sun 2/3
Epcot
9:05 FP for Soarin'
10:50 ADR for Akershus Royal Banquet Hall
10:50-11:50 FP for Mission: Space (should we cancel this or try to get it in before breakfast)
12:15 The Seas with Nemo and Friends

Mon 2/4
Magic Kingdom
9:10 FP for Under the Sea - Journey of the Little Mermaid
10:25 ADR for Crystal Palace (my dtr absolutely loves Pooh and Friends)
11:15 FP for Haunted Mansion
6:00 FP for Seven Dwarfs Mine Train

Tue 2/5
Animal Kingdom
9:30 FP Festival of the Lion King
11:00 FP for Kilimanjaro Safari
5:55 FP for Flight of Passage
(WE are lucky enough to have some close friends who are DVC members who are taking us as guests to the Moonlight madness event at Magic Kingdom on this evening).

Wed 2/6
Epcot
9:40 FP for Spaceship Earth
10:55 FP for Living with the Land
12:00 FP for Frozen Ever After

Thur 2/7
Magic Kingdom
9:35 FP for Pirates
10:05 ADR for Be our Guest (Really thinking of cancelling this, no characters right?)
10:45 FP for Jungle Cruise
12:30 FP for Peter Pan's Flight

Fri 2/8 (Last day :( )
Not sure of plans exactly, have the following reserved
8:15 AM ADR for Akershus.....(is there a huge advantage to being in Epcot this early? Park opens at 9am that day, we also have an akershus reservation earlier in the week, will only keep one)
6:35 FP for FLight of Passage (it was there so I grabbed it, knowing I can drop it, but choosing this one makes it so I can't grab FP's anywhere else that day, would like to know what people think)

Thanks for any input, really looking forward to watching my daughter experience Disney for the first time.

I was in the same situation just two short years ago. Grew up in Central Florida, day tripping to WD many times in the 80s when I was a kid. Went a few times as an older teen and college student in the 90s. We actually did the year 2000 (12-31-99) party at Epcot. After that I didn't go for 16 years! Crazy. Life got in the way but then I had two wonderful kids and I knew it was time again. Welcome back!

(I"ll put the start time of the fast pass as the time)
Sat 2/2
Plan is for Hollywood Studios
9:10 FP for Voyage of the LIttle Mermaid -Really Dont need a FP for this, keep it only if there isn't something else you want to FP at HS
9:50 FP for Toy Story Mania
11:00 FP for Frozen sing along celebration - Really Dont need a FP for this, keep it only if there isn't something else you want to FP at HS
No dining reservations, bkfast at home, light lunch then dinner prob offsite

There were no FP available for slinky dog - Keep refreshing while in the park and see if you get lucky! It may be worth cancelling one of the above FP to leave the option to search for SDD day of open.

Sun 2/3
Epcot
9:05 FP for Soarin'
10:50 ADR for Akershus Royal Banquet Hall - DO NOT Miss Akeshus if you have a 5 year old girl. Shell be in heaven. You dont need a FP for Mission: Space its almost always a 1-15 minute wait(if not a walk on)
10:50-11:50 FP for Mission: Space (should we cancel this or try to get it in before breakfast)
12:15 The Seas with Nemo and Friends

Mon 2/4
Magic Kingdom
9:10 FP for Under the Sea - Journey of the Little Mermaid This ride rarely has more than a 10-15 minute wait. Id cancel this and get another harder to find FP
10:25 ADR for Crystal Palace (my dtr absolutely loves Pooh and Friends)
11:15 FP for Haunted Mansion
6:00 FP for Seven Dwarfs Mine Train

Tue 2/5
Animal Kingdom
9:30 FP Festival of the Lion King
11:00 FP for Kilimanjaro Safari
5:55 FP for Flight of Passage
(WE are lucky enough to have some close friends who are DVC members who are taking us as guests to the Moonlight madness event at Magic Kingdom on this evening).

Wed 2/6
Epcot
9:40 FP for Spaceship Earth
10:55 FP for Living with the Land
12:00 FP for Frozen Ever After

Thur 2/7
Magic Kingdom
9:35 FP for Pirates
10:05 ADR for Be our Guest (Really thinking of cancelling this, no characters right?)Correct no characters and no early park entry benefit at your time
10:45 FP for Jungle Cruise
12:30 FP for Peter Pan's Flight

Fri 2/8 (Last day :( ) I would just say be open to leaving this day open! See how the week goes and go back to the park you feel you still need more time in. You can still get decent FPs week of for all but the hardest to get rides(FOP/SDD/7DMT/PP)
Not sure of plans exactly, have the following reserved
8:15 AM ADR for Akershus.....(is there a huge advantage to being in Epcot this early? Park opens at 9am that day, we also have an akershus reservation earlier in the week, will only keep one) IMO No, but others may feel differently. The only real reason is to RD Soarin/TT/Frozen. Don't forget most countries don open until 11am.
6:35 FP for FLight of Passage (it was there so I grabbed it, knowing I can drop it, but choosing this one makes it so I can't grab FP's anywhere else that day, would like to know what people think)

Thanks for any input, really looking forward to watching my daughter experience Disney for the first time.

Last edited:
Brett,

Really appreciate the input. The hard part of choosing fast passes is I have no idea, except what I've read, has long lines and what doesn't. So you insight is particularly helpful. I'll look into making the changes you made in your suggestions.

thanks a bunch.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter