Old Popcorn Bucket?

Debonna

Mouseketeer
I've read about using a bucket from the parks and only paying $1.50 to fill it on the ships. Our bucket is old...it has a scene from Seven Dwarfs Mine Train, so it's probably from the year that ride opened (2014?). Does it matter if it's an older one?

I've read about using a bucket from the parks and only paying $1.50 to fill it on the ships. Our bucket is old...it has a scene from Seven Dwarfs Mine Train, so it's probably from the year that ride opened (2014?). Does it matter if it's an older one?
There does not seem to be at this time any restriction on the popcorn bucket you use. If for some reason they do not allow you to use it, you can make a great sand castle with it at the beach!

I purchased one on a January 2019 cruise on the Wonder, brought it on our December 2019 cruise on the Magic where they didn't have a bucket even close to being a similar design and they filled it no problem. Enjoy!

What about Pluto’s Holiday bucket? Or is that too far out? We are going on Dream next weekend, and do intend to see a movie or two.

Mine is the Oogie Boogie popcorn bucket and it is huge and takes up so much room so I won't be taking it this time around. They seem to fill them no problem... if they are from a different cruise.

I didn't save my park bucket in January ( gave it away), but I will save the one we will get in May for our family June cruise.......just hope I have enough room to pack it. Taking beach toys too.

After digging out our popcorn buckets.. Giant tie fighters (wings and all) that the kids had to have on a SWDAS cruise. No way are those being packed.. I'll pay the extra for a new bucket ;)

After digging out our popcorn buckets.. Giant tie fighters (wings and all) that the kids had to have on a SWDAS cruise. No way are those being packed.. I'll pay the extra for a new bucket ;)
That's how I feel as well. Some of the buckets are just too large and not worth wasting the luggage space for a bucket of popcorn.

How much are the buckets in DCL? And they are $1.50 refills after that? Is this all DCL ships? My kids love popcorn

If you pack things inside it like socks, then not much more space is being used in the end.

But.. but.. what do I do with the giant tie fighter wings ;) Also.. these tie fighter ones don't seem to hold too much popcorn (the kids used them for movie night at home a few times, but decided a bowl was much easer to fill/eat from).

Why on earth do Disney cruises charge for popcorn???

It is cheaper than:
Mickey bars
Chocolate chip cookies
Any desert in the MDR
Lobster

The list goes on.

Popcorn is probably the cheapest snack food there is!!!

(Which is why until everyone got braces, my kids could count on popcorn at playdates.)

Why on earth do Disney cruises charge for popcorn???

It is cheaper than:
Mickey bars
Chocolate chip cookies
Any desert in the MDR
Lobster

The list goes on.

Popcorn is probably the cheapest snack food there is!!!

(Which is why until everyone got braces, my kids could count on popcorn at playdates.)

To be fair, none of the stuff you listed is really “free”. You’re getting charged for all of those things as part of your cruise price.

As to why popcorn is an “up-charge,” this has been debated around here multiple times over the years.

Aside from the obvious answer of “because they can,” the best hypothesis I’ve heard is that free popcorn would mean tons of kids would be grabbing bags of it, carelessly spilling it all over the ship, especially on the promenade and pool decks where it’ll be blown all over the place (including the pools), making a perpetual mess that would require constant clean-up.

By charging for popcorn, demand is reduced, and those that do buy it will be far less likely to be wasteful with a snack that cost them $5 vs. a snack that was free.

Last edited:
We take an old parks/cruise popcorn bucket with us on most cruises. A couple of years ago was the first time DD ever was refused and the CM told her "we don't fill that one anymore." I can't tell you how old it was, but I'm guessing not more than 5 years. We haven't had any issues since.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter