Old magic band ???

edk35

DIS Veteran
We are headed back to Disney next month. We are NOT getting new bands. We got new ones last year. In order to use these again, do we just make sure other ones are deactivated in MDE?? Will our tickets/room get loaded to these old ones as long as we only have one activated for each person? Thanks!!!

No need to deactivate any. (You could even use multiple bands that are linked to you if you want to coordinate with your outfits etc)
As long as the ones you are going to use are active then the info will be accessible.
Nothing is loaded onto the magic band itself.

Think of a MB as a key to a chest that holds your resort reservations, ADRs, tickets, etc. You can have multiple keys (MBs) for one chest, but only one chest per person. Any active MB that's linked to you will open your chest and allow the specific item to be retrieved by the system - at the park entrance, it will retrieve your ticket, at the ride entrance it will retrieve the LL you bought, at the resort room door it will retrieve the key that opens the door, etc.

I’ve often wondered...why does the hotel cast member take my band and say she has to connect it to my room? This just happened at POR. She gave me a room key card when I checked in. She asked if I had a magic band with me.
I said yes. She said she needed to have it to “link“ it to my room. I said no, the band is active in my MDE, and this hotel reservation in linked in my MDE, so there was nothing she needed to do to my magic band. She insisted, so I gave it to her. I could not tell what the heck she was doing while I stood there for 10 minutes. What was that all about? Do the Disney hotel cast members at the front desk still not know how this works?

I’ve often wondered...why does the hotel cast member take my band and say she has to connect it to my room? This just happened at POR. She gave me a room key card when I checked in. She asked if I had a magic band with me.
I said yes. She said she needed to have it to “link“ it to my room. I said no, the band is active in my MDE, and this hotel reservation in linked in my MDE, so there was nothing she needed to do to my magic band. She insisted, so I gave it to her. I could not tell what the heck she was doing while I stood there for 10 minutes. What was that all about? Do the Disney hotel cast members at the front desk still not know how this works?

It was likely because you did n ot choose to do online check in.

Not the same situation but last summer at Poly the room they planned for us to stay in was not ready but there were others that were ready so they switched our room and they did need my magic band to do so.

Sometimes hotel information doesn't link immediately upon checkin, and when the guest gets to the room the MB doesn't work to unlock the door. She was probably scanning your MB to make sure it was linked and would work for you.

It was likely because you did n ot choose to do online check in.

Not the same situation but last summer at Poly the room they planned for us to stay in was not ready but there were others that were ready so they switched our room and they did need my magic band to do so.
I did online check in, but I didn’t like the room they assigned and texted me, so I stopped by the front desk.

The numbers on the back of a magic band have to be listed as accessible to open your specific room door. It's essentially a huge data base. Sometimes, if there are enough bands on a specific account that all bands on an account can't be listed as available to access the room. So the CM has to manipulate the list so that the band you have on hand is listed.

No need to deactivate any. (You could even use multiple bands that are linked to you if you want to coordinate with your outfits etc)
As long as the ones you are going to use are active then the info will be accessible.
Nothing is loaded onto the magic band itself.
Thank you so much.

Think of a MB as a key to a chest that holds your resort reservations, ADRs, tickets, etc. You can have multiple keys (MBs) for one chest, but only one chest per person. Any active MB that's linked to you will open your chest and allow the specific item to be retrieved by the system - at the park entrance, it will retrieve your ticket, at the ride entrance it will retrieve the LL you bought, at the resort room door it will retrieve the key that opens the door, etc.
Thank you so much for this explanation. Makes perfect sense!!!!

Glad to see this post - I've been wondering if my MagicBand from 2018 would work (if I manage to find it)...and more importantly, if I don't find it, does anyone know if there's a way to get a new one without paying over $10? (The only $10 available a few days ago was raspberry and I was hoping for...Idk, something different.)

Glad to see this post - I've been wondering if my MagicBand from 2018 would work (if I manage to find it)...and more importantly, if I don't find it, does anyone know if there's a way to get a new one without paying over $10? (The only $10 available a few days ago was raspberry and I was hoping for...Idk, something different.)

It will always work for anywhere you tap in. The long range battery for features that you don't tap for such as it displaying your name on certain attractions or some ride photos that rely on the long range battery may not show up.

Disney is not responsible for your lost band so if you can't find it and want a new one you'll pay for it or you can just use a card or even your phone to access your ticket and room.

It will always work for anywhere you tap in. The long range battery for features that you don't tap for such as it displaying your name on certain attractions or some ride photos that rely on the long range battery may not show up.

Disney is not responsible for your lost band so if you can't find it and want a new one you'll pay for it or you can just use a card or even your phone to access your ticket and room.
Thanks!
And yeah, I know I'll pay for a new one - I thought I'd ask, just in case, there's somewhere to buy one that's not over $10 (the only $10 band through Disney was raspberry). It's not a big deal at all...just wanted to make sure I wasn't missing anything. :)

We will be heading to Disney World the week of Thanksgiving. I was planning to use our old magic bands but now seeing that there is a magic band plus. will our old one still work or do we need to purchase new ones before we get there?
thanks!!

Your old one will work for anything where you tap the band to a touchpoint. That never stops working. Even Gen 1 bands will still work for that.
Long range stuff may or may not work but that is all voluntary type stuff anyway. Nothing necessary for day to day operations/visits. Your phone can possibility fill in for that feature too. If you turn it on on the app

With all the mounting costs of a Disney trip and so few pre-arrival magicband options for the $10 ones I don’t want want to spend $35 each on 5 bands. I’m wondering realistically how long my old ones would last. I have some from 2018 that worked February of last year, do we think they’ll still work at the end of this month? How’s the availability of the basic ones at Disney hotels and parks? Thanks in advance!

With all the mounting costs of a Disney trip and so few pre-arrival magicband options for the $10 ones I don’t want want to spend $35 each on 5 bands. I’m wondering realistically how long my old ones would last. I have some from 2018 that worked February of last year, do we think they’ll still work at the end of this month? How’s the availability of the basic ones at Disney hotels and parks? Thanks in advance!
Your question has been merged with a thread which contains very helpful information as many have the same valid question you do.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter