Old Key West?

Beka'sMom

Addicted to Disney!
Has anyone ever stayed at Old Key West resort?

I was offered a good rate there for a 1bdrm but can't find much info about it.

We currently have ressies at BC std room.

Thanks

Hi Beka's Mom,
Yes, we stayed at OKW last year and just loved the 1 bdrm! There were 4 or us, myself, DH, DS 7, & DD 2. Lots of room! You'll just love having the jacuzzi to relax in after a long day at the parks. Since that trip we've been to the YC, AKL, and POR and I think my favorite is OKW just because of the extra room. It's very hard to go back to a regular room once you've experienced this!
Could you share with us the rate you were given? I'm always looking for a reason to have to book again!! LOL.
Any specific questions feel free to ask.

I had the postcard rate booked at BC that I received in the mail a few months ago- so I don;t think anyone else can use it- but they checked the home away from home resorts and gave me a rate at OKW for 199 a night (plus tax) which I believe is pretty good!

We stayed at BWV last year(1 bdrm and loved it) and I am torn as to stay in the std room or switch to the 1 bdrm at OKW!

Hi Again,
Thanks for the info. That is a great rate! We've never stayed in BWV but that is where I truly would love to stay next. I really only want a 1 bdrm again though and they seem to be hard to get at a discount unless you rent from a member. I love the Epcot area....that is my favorite, hence the YC last year. But....this is just my opinion, if I had a choice between a 1 bedroom ANYWHERE and a standard room at either the YC or BC I know I would take the 1 bedroom. Good luck in your decision!

Just stayed there last week of July. It was very nice. The 1 bedroom is very large and mine was nicely maintained. I never heard any noise from other rooms. We had a nice big terrace with a ceiling fan & table overlooking a golf course. There is a laundry room with full size heavy duty washer and dryer. They even provided us with single load boxes of Tide (as we used one, they'd replace it the next day). Also a kitchen with full size appliances (incl. dish washer). They left dish soap, sponges, detergent for the dish washer. A few days when I rushed out and left dishes in the sink, they loaded the dw and ran it for me! The kitchen is fully stocked with pans and pitchers too. There is an island which houses a large tv that faces the living room area. The couch in the living room pulls out to a queen and the bedroom has a king size bed.

There are a few important points you'll need to consider when your staying here.
1) This is a Disney Vacation Club resort and alot of people staying here are 'members'. So maid service is limited to a couple times a week, for them... though not for someone renting at a nightly rate. I had a hard time explaining to the gentleman at check-in that I was staying as a 'guest' and had to insist that my room get full cleaning (including sheets changed) daily. He told me that this would cost an additional $25 per day. We went back and forth for a little while, but he finally called the head of housekeeping and she assured me that my room would be fully cleaned daily, at no extra fee. So, make sure you clarify this while checking in.
2) I would request a building near the 'Hospitality House' (this is the main area that houses the restaurant, gift shop, pool, check in, etc...) or at least a bus stop. This resort is really spread out. We were fortunate enough to be in building 14, directly across the street from the main building and bus stop. My mom came along and cannot walk long distances, so this was a real priority for us.
3) The buses make lots of stops within the resort (there are about 5 different bus stops) and it can take a long time. Depending on where you're staying at the resort it can take 10 to 15 minutes for the bus to make it's way out to the parks or back in. Allow a little extra time.
4) Some rooms have a seperate entrance to the bathroom from the laundry room (in addition to the one from the bedroom). If you need privacy in the bedroom this is worth requesting as well.
5) Many buildings don't have elevators and most buildings are three stories. Again if mobility is an issue, take this into account.

We've stayed at the Yacht Club, and loved it there as well. The standard rooms at Y & BC pale in comparison to the 1 bedroom villas at OKW. However, there are many amenities offered there that just aren't available at OKW. Also, though the staff was pretty nice at OKW, at the YC they were more attentive and willing to please. You can't beat the pool at Y & BC either. Another point, the Y & BC is very conveniently located to Epcot and MGM as well as it's central location. OKW is centrally located, but you must use the bus to go everywhere. The exception is the boat to Downtown Disney (starts running at 12 noon).

This turned out to be way too long... hope it helps.

We liked OKW alot when we stayed there a few summers ago. We were there over a week, so it was nice to have the kitchen to eat in. We beat the august heat by having lunch and naps in the room. It was a nice break from the vacation kind of resort.

Request a room near the peninsula bus stop. This is the first pick up stop and if you just miss the bus its only a quick walk over to the lobby which is the last stop, so you dont have to wait the 20+ minutes for the next bus.

Another vote for Old Key West! That's the resort that after 9 trips to WDW, first at OKW, that finally turned my DH from a Disney "tolerant" person to a Disney lover. Our computer now has OKW wallpaper, our bed now has a new bedspread, because it reminded him of OKW, he even watches the WDW vacation planning video now hoping to catch a glimpse of OKW!

OKW is a great resort. If you go with a one-bedroom, you will never want to stay in anything smaller again.

One point about housekeeping. If you are staying on points (either your own, a guest of someone who own points, or rented points), you will not receive daily housekeeping. Daily housekeeping is only for people who are paying cash for each night.

DVC resorts do this to keep the labor costs down (which keeps the maintenance fees down).

This sometimes is a huge issue for people. My family actually perfers not to get daily housekeeping, since you never have to worry about when you can be in the room.

We decided on splitting our stay: 2 nights BC, 6 at OKW 1 bdrm!

This way we will be able to try BC and then move to the spacious 1 bdrm for the remainder of our stay! I am so excited- can't wait!!

Thanks for all the replies,
Beka's Mom:)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter