Old key West location

Jobelly

Mouseketeer
I've just booked for old key West directly through disney, when I was looking into best area to stay one of the sites (possibly allears but can't remember) said if you want to be near the hospitality area you have to book this area and can't put it on as request. It said it was a preferred area but at the moment you don't pay extra but you have to choose it.I wasn't given this option at all and wondered if anyone had any further information.

Yes, you can only book that area with DVC points, the rest of the resort is all the same category. What do you plan to do there? If you have kids and want to hang at the main pool, you can always jump on an internal bus. The Turtle Creek area has a pool and snack bar, it's very popular with families. If you don't have kids, South Pointe is a quiet area, and has a pool as well.

We recently stayed at OKW and booked through Disney and I believe the areas close to the main building are preferred for DVC owners...that is what we were told at check in anyway. We had a room right next to the Turtle Pond pool which turned out to be, for us, the next best option. We actually never used the main pool because everything we needed was at the Turtle Pond pool. There is a snack bar there for food and filling mugs which the other quiet pools don't have. It is a long walk to the main pool and building but we preferred to walk rather than wait for the buses.

Thanks that's really helpful.
So having 3 children (ages 11, 8 and 2 would turtle pond be the best area? How is that for bus pick ups as would prefer not to be on ages before even leaving resort.
I asked on the dibb and it was suggested the resort wasn't that big but it doesn't seem to be the case.

Well......the resort is huge, and it really doesn't matter which stop you're close to. I stayed in the Turtle Pond area in May. If I remember correctly, our time spent on the bus was pretty much the same, both coming and going. When we were heading to a park, we made at least two addtl stops. When returning from the park, we made two stops before ours. It's really a case of first on, first off. So those with a shorter ride to the parks, are going to have a longer ride returning to the resort.
Turtle Pond is a nice area. We were one bldg from the pool area, and the bus stop was a 3 min walk...if that. But, don't let anyone kid you...OKW is a very spread out resort.

We have stayed in the Peninsular Road area, Miller's Road, Turtle Point and the HH area. None are miserable as far as bus rides. We were in building 19 in May and DW, DS13 and DS4 had no issues with the walk from that building in the Miller's road area to the HH. Our favorite area is the Peninsular road area as that bus stop is first when returning from the parks and the walk to the HH is a short one so you can get on busses there and from there they head straight to the parks.

I am returning to Orlando in November and am doing a split stay (acutally, a 3 way split as it turns out). I have booked through Disney at OKW for free dining and then added a few days on by renting DVC points. Will I have to move rooms, or will I get to stay in one spot for this part of the trip?

You must book HH area on points. If you want near that area, request Peninsular Road, which is right across the canal from the HH and right next to the villas that are included in the HH area across the canal. Turtle Pond area is also pretty good, but the Turtle Shack is only open seasonally.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter