Old hubby has a new knee!

mamabunny

DIS Veteran
I'm back!

Been gone for about 10 days - I'm so sorry I forgot to tell y'all what was happening!

Hubs had to finally get that knee replaced, and the surgeon realized he had to do a lot more work (and go straight to revision parts) which kind of upended everyone's expectations of how things would go.

What many people don't know is that my husband is an autistic person as well as someone who functions with ADHD daily. So, things that might frustrate or annoy another adult human can be A Really Big Deal to him. He also had to have some emergency medical intervention on a few things while trying to recover enough to come home, and had to stay in the hospital a few days longer. Those things were really scary to him, and his emotions were right at the surface all the time, so one of us stayed with him 24/7 around the clock so that he would feel safer. I'm really proud of him, because overall he did a great job of dealing with something very upsetting and painful that had a lot of unexpected, scary moments.

The hospital had PT and OT working with him as soon as he was fully awake and deemed ready by the nursing staff. He wasn't fully on his feet on day 1, but by the end, they had him climbing steps, walking ramps, and changing clothes unassisted. It also helped a great deal that his day nurse totally vibed with him because she has 2 kids on the spectrum. And his night nurse (who he did not initially like at all) turned out to be one of his favorites before it was all over. We also had a fantastic assortment of techs and unit support staff as well.

We are home now, and he is doing quite well for a T2 diabetic who just had major surgery. His surgeon sends out home health, including nursing support, PT and OT for the first 3 weeks, and he is progressing well, and much happier now that he is home again!

And I am SO happy to be home in my own bed as well!

Congrats to you and hubby! That was us three years ago. Not fun, lots of pain and anxiety, however the pain does go away and life gets so much better.

Sounds like a new life! pixiedust:

Last edited:
Good luck to your DH with the recovery and rehab. Mine received a brand new shoulder this summer after several months of dealing with various medical needs to get ready for the surgery. He's still working on PT; it takes some time and patience.

I'm back!

Been gone for about 10 days - I'm so sorry I forgot to tell y'all what was happening!

Hubs had to finally get that knee replaced, and the surgeon realized he had to do a lot more work (and go straight to revision parts) which kind of upended everyone's expectations of how things would go.

What many people don't know is that my husband is an autistic person as well as someone who functions with ADHD daily. So, things that might frustrate or annoy another adult human can be A Really Big Deal to him. He also had to have some emergency medical intervention on a few things while trying to recover enough to come home, and had to stay in the hospital a few days longer. Those things were really scary to him, and his emotions were right at the surface all the time, so one of us stayed with him 24/7 around the clock so that he would feel safer. I'm really proud of him, because overall he did a great job of dealing with something very upsetting and painful that had a lot of unexpected, scary moments.

The hospital had PT and OT working with him as soon as he was fully awake and deemed ready by the nursing staff. He wasn't fully on his feet on day 1, but by the end, they had him climbing steps, walking ramps, and changing clothes unassisted. It also helped a great deal that his day nurse totally vibed with him because she has 2 kids on the spectrum. And his night nurse (who he did not initially like at all) turned out to be one of his favorites before it was all over. We also had a fantastic assortment of techs and unit support staff as well.

We are home now, and he is doing quite well for a T2 diabetic who just had major surgery. His surgeon sends out home health, including nursing support, PT and OT for the first 3 weeks, and he is progressing well, and much happier now that he is home again!

And I am SO happy to be home in my own bed as well!
So happy things are going well for your family. You and your hubby are so supportive of each other and that makes me smile. God Bless. 🙏👏

Oh thank you all *so* much for the well-wishes! ❤️ The support and friendship is just one of the many reasons I love this community!

Mamabunny -- hi. It's so good to see you. I hope you and your husband are doing better.

I'm almost embarrassed to be back. I made such a big deal of WANTING to be back and then I got overwhelmed and left again, so sorry to be in and out everybody.

I was just so shocked when I read this post today. In the months since I've been gone (dealing with mountains in my own life) I've realized (after 23 years of despair and trials) that my husband is also (most likely) on the spectrum (among other emotional troubles) and I'm about to go in for an evaluation for RA and other autoimmune illnesses based on 7 months of pain and stiffness in my hands (in particular) especially on waking; leading now to all day symptoms and locked fingers some times in the mornings. Mamabunny, I will speak for myself -- when it rains it pours. I've had therapists suggest my husband was on the spectrum before (it's been part of ongoing conversations for many years) but we have been barely holding on. I've suddenly realized there is literally nothing else that could cause the kind of interactions we have, and I'm set on getting him evaluated, if he will agree. We have a lot coming up, but this has actually alleviated my mind. I've tried to change everything about myself I could possibly change to make him happy, but I realize it really isn't about me. He has frequent meltdowns and is constantly overwhelmed. Too much to go into here. But thank you for sharing your life here with us, (and everyone else too), you guys really help me some times and you have no idea you're doing it. I could really use some encouragement. I wish I could go to WDW right now! My happy place with my happy boys (service dog Harrison and hubby. ) But it's about working towards healing (again). I dearly love my husband and am thankful for the doctors that help us, and friends like you all. Love you guys. Thanks for letting me drop in.

Hi @BethCPTSD it’s nice to see you posting again! Don’t worry about in-and-out around here, many folks take breaks now and then. It sounds like you have a lot going on right now. I wish you well with the evaluations that your healthcare providers find answers or insights to help. Pop in anytime!

Hi @BethCPTSD it’s nice to see you posting again! Don’t worry about in-and-out around here, many folks take breaks now and then. It sounds like you have a lot going on right now. I wish you well with the evaluations that your healthcare providers find answers or insights to help. Pop in anytime!
Thank you, LaneJudy! It's so nice to see you too! Thank you for the kind welcome, I always feel at home here and among friends. Including you :)

Stay warm! It's cold and rainy in southern California!!

Thank you, LaneJudy! It's so nice to see you too! Thank you for the kind welcome, I always feel at home here and among friends. Including you :)

Stay warm! It's cold and rainy in southern California!!

Y’all stay safe - I know the weather has been crazy!

Just visit here when you have a chance; I’m always happy to see you, and I know I am not alone! 🙂

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter