Okw ????

edk35

DIS Veteran
We would love to try OKW on a future trip.....so I have a few questions. Can you walk to DTD and if so.....how long a walk and where do you come out at? Just how spread out is the resort and how many sections? Does it compare to SSR in that some sections are pretty far away from main bldg? For those of you that have stayed at SSR and OKW......how do they compare/differences? Is there any tidbits we would need/want to know before we got there? THANKS SO VERY MUCH. :goodvibes

Hi Edk35

I'm going to bump the OKW lovers thread in the misc section of DVC for you --it has alot of info --trip reports and beautiful pictures.
Hope this helps
Hugs Mel

Can't walk to DTD. Must ride boat from main house or bus from any stop. Most buildings are pretty far from main house. We like this resort because it gives you the secluded feel and you hardly ever see very many other people. Buses run pretty regularly. We stayed at least 5 times and never waited more than 20 minutes for a bus. Small outside sandwich shop(large portions). Olivias restaurant doesn't do take out any more. Small country type store with 1 wall refrigerated items and a couple circular stands with dry goods, medicines, essentials. Rooms are a little bigger than other resorts. Colors are pastels in rooms. Very relaxing.

Can't walk to DTD. Must ride boat from main house or bus from any stop. Most buildings are pretty far from main house. We like this resort because it gives you the secluded feel and you hardly ever see very many other people. Buses run pretty regularly. We stayed at least 5 times and never waited more than 20 minutes for a bus. Small outside sandwich shop(large portions). Olivias restaurant doesn't do take out any more. Small country type store with 1 wall refrigerated items and a couple circular stands with dry goods, medicines, essentials. Rooms are a little bigger than other resorts. Colors are pastels in rooms. Very relaxing.

Okay....is there just one pool? thanks

Can't walk to DTD. Must ride boat from main house or bus from any stop.

You certainly can walk - there's a very nice paved pathway (some of which is shaded). The path starts in the Southpoint area, in the cul-de-sac near that pool. It runs long the canal (across from the Treehouse Villas) and will take you to either Saratoga Springs or West Side, depending on whether you cross back over the canal at that end. I'd guess it's about a mile long - similar to walking from BWV over to the Studios.

We would love to try OKW on a future trip.....so I have a few questions. Can you walk to DTD and if so.....how long a walk and where do you come out at? Just how spread out is the resort and how many sections? Does it compare to SSR in that some sections are pretty far away from main bldg? For those of you that have stayed at SSR and OKW......how do they compare/differences? Is there any tidbits we would need/want to know before we got there? THANKS SO VERY MUCH. :goodvibes

Actually you can walk to DTD from OKW. See these two threads/posts: http://www.gmap-pedometer.com/?r=1257555
http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=160187

The resort is spread out like SSR but does have a more peaceful feeling. I believe it to be due to the mature landscaping. As stated before, you feel more secluded. The thing I like about OKW is that the bus system seems to be a little better. Plus, the DTD bus stopped at the main area on its way in and on the way out. Many people were using this as their means to travel the resort. They simply asked the driver if it was his first or second stop there. Plus the first bus stop is only about a block away from the main area so you can hop any bus to get to your building. The rooms at OKW are bigger and you will love the kitchen/living area. Only problem with a 2BR is that in buildings 1-29, the bathrooms are in the bedrooms with no access from the living area such as SSR has. This may be an inconveinence if you have people sleeping on the sofa sleeper. Plus only the last two or three buildings built have elevators. The rest you use the steps. I can't say I like one better than the other since even though they are similiar in size and layout, they each have their own special features and feel. SSR is newer, a bit more elegant in design and OKW is more laid back, pastel in colors.

Okay....is there just one pool? thanks

OKW has four pools. The main pool has a slide, kiddie pool, hot tub and a sandy playground. The pool on Turtle Pond Road has a snack bar and playground. There are also two quiet pools. The main pool is the only pool with a lifeguard.

It's about 15 minutes at a leisurely pace from the beginning of the path by Building 55 in Southpoint to the House of Blues. A nice walk, and you can cross over a bridge and go to SSR, if you choose.

Here's a link to the DIS site's page about SSR.
These are the sizes of the SSR villas
SSR Studio - 355 sq. ft
SSR 1 bedroom - 714 sq. ft.
SSR 2 bedroom - 1075 sq. ft

And here's a link to the DIS site's page about OKW.
These are the sizes of the OKW villas. The Studios are close to the same size, but the OKW one and two bedrooms are considerably larger.
OKW Studio - 376 sq ft.
OKW One Bedroom - 942 sq. ft.
OKW Two Bedroom - 1,333 sq ft

Here's the SSR map
Saratoga.htm

In case it won't put the map on the post, here's the link:
http://www.wdwinfo.com/resortmaps/Saratoga.htm

And here's the OKW map
OKWmap.jpg

When you look at the maps, SSR doesn't look that much bigger than OKW, but the scale of the maps is different and SSR is actually a lot larger.
We have stayed at both resorts.
OKW is our home resort, so we have stayed there more, but we have stayed at SSR 4-5 times. When we stayed at OKW in building 48, it was a fairly slow 10 minute walk from there to the Hospitality House. I'd estimate our walk to get from SSR Carriage House from Congress Park building 1101-1436 in the part closest to the Carriage House was about the same distance.

OKW has four pools. The main pool has a slide, kiddie pool, hot tub and a sandy playground. The pool on Turtle Pond Road has a snack bar and playground. There are also two quiet pools. The main pool is the only pool with a lifeguard.

HOw does the main pool compare to the SSR one (if you have stayed there). My kids didn't really like the BWV clown pool. They said the slide at SSR was much better. I went down the slide at SSR a few times and it was fun....never tried the clown pool. I am really hoping to stay at OKW soon. :goodvibes

Ok, OKW lovers....which building is the closest to the main pool? I have been looking at the map, it is tough to tell. (And yes, I know that room requests are just that...requests...:thumbsup2 but it also never hurts to ask--politely, of course! :goodvibes )

If you want to be close to the main pool, I'd suggest you just request close to Hospitality House.
Buildings 11-16, 23-27 and 62-64 are all only about a 5 minute walk away.

The buildings are not as large as they look on the map, so each building doesn't have as many villas as (for example) a building at SSR. If you request a villa in a particular building and there are none available in that building that meet your other requests, they won't know why you wanted that building (was it because it was close to HH? Or because it had a golf course view? Or a water view? Or for sentimental reasons?). If you ask for close to HH, they will know that is what you want.

Can someone tell me how long it takes by boat to get to DTD?

Many thanks

Emma

I am pretty sure the signs at SSR said the boats run more often in the late afternoon/evening than during the day. We rode the boat over to DTD around 11:45 last Monday...and we waited a good long while for one to come. I think it is like the busses...sometimes you walk out and BAM you luck out and the bus/boat you need is there and other times...YOU JUST MISSED THE BOAT. LOL

I happen to be sitting in the living room of my one bedroom suite at OKW at this very moment! I was going to DTD tomorrow and now I'm going to have to try to stroll over there. Although I do want Marketplace and not West side. More walking!

I used the bus today and got around very easily. We aren't doing the parks but the bus driver and I had the ride alone so he talked to me about taking the bus to the MK and then using the monorail to get around the area for my dinner res at Poly and GF. We are just going to mix it up this week and probably go to VWL by bus and then use the boat to go to contemporary for our Chef Mickey dinner.

Got 10% off a facial today at GF spa. I like that resort a lot and after we do the cruise we are definately booking the GF for a week the following year.

I really like OKW. I'm more of a action person than my husband so I'll be on the bus every morning going somewhere even if it's just to DTD for coffee or something.

Dining Plan is excellent too. The way we eat when we are here makes this a deal and a half for us. Cape May Cafe tonight!!!!! Love it.

I'll check in again later this week.
Pam

Can someone tell me how long it takes by boat to get to DTD?

Many thanks

Emma

The boat from OKW is the same one that stops at SSR. It then goes to DTD and unloads on the east end by the Rainforest Cafe. My guess is the trips were about 15-20 minutes on the average. We preferred it to taking a bus, much more relaxing.

OK. I took the walk today. It took 45 min from the time I left bldg 33. The trail starts as a nature trail that is closed from dusk to dawn which is a shame because it would probably be a much easier walk in the evening after the sun sets.

Returning by boat was pleasant but waiting for the internal resort bus took more than 30 minutes. The longest I've had to wait for a bus in 3 days.

Not complaining here you understand as I'm looking out at the beautiful sight that is OKW with the canal behind my room and the golf course and I really like the place.

It just takes a little patience after a long walk in the sun and a long wait for the bus. The best thing to remember is don't be in a hurry. Build in some time for travel and you won't be disappointed.

Also, another tip. If you are headed to DTD Marketplace, the path takes you to Westside and the walk from west to market is also long. But there is a water taxi available to take you to Marketplace. BUT it does not start service until 11:30am. Since I got there at 11 I had to continue my walk over to Marketplace.

But it was worth it. I got some exercise, enjoyed the scenery, met some of the "mow crew" on the way, and had a great shopping experience!
Pam

Pam

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter