OKW Veterans, have you ever seen this?

BEASLYBOO

OKW/Disney... my happy place.
513C5581-F6A6-49DE-B39D-94D4BB691CB9.jpeg 77354EB5-0A8A-49DA-B438-4FACA42F47AA.jpeg 7BFAEB8F-D22F-4B7D-B484-6F44E6B4387D.jpeg I’m here at OKW, my last stay for Food & Wine, I booked without requests. Low and behold, for the first time ever I received the “Your room is ready text!” Room #1431, yeah! 19 yrs of stays, 1st time in this building. As we know, a non referbished studio, on the 3rd floor (yikes, I’m just recovering from 3 wks of bronchitis). I made it up the stairs to find an immaculate studio, with great views, fresh, shows absolutely no signs of abuse. Once again, OKW you deliver , I’m tickled pink! 1431 does have a few things I’ve never seen before in any other of the villas I’ve enjoyed. Have you ever seen anything like this?

Last edited:
Have not seen that before and wonder why they exist. The long pipe sticking out in the first picture seems to have the objective of knocking people out if they are not paying attention to where they are walking. Is the knob in the second picture a temperature control? If not, what does it do. And why have an on-off switch for the AC like the one shown? Is there no thermastat control in the room that allows switching between air and heat?

Have not seen that before and wonder why they exist. The long pipe sticking out in the first picture seems to have the objective of knocking people out if they are not paying attention to where they are walking. Is the knob in the second picture a temperature control? If not, what does it do. And why have an on-off switch for the AC like the one shown? Is there no thermastat control in the room that allows switching between air and heat?
LOL, well I extended the knob, to take the pic, and promptly forgot to retract it and nearly took out my 5’11”friend.:eek: I think it’s a place to hang a garment bag, do people still use those? We had a thermostat, the AC switch was at the top of the wall, next to the closet, no clue why it’s like a light switch!

That's what I was thinking. It's a coat rack/hanger. Are you missing the closet or something?

That's what I was thinking. It's a coat rack/hanger. Are you missing the closet or something?
No, the regular size closet was there, the unit was a bit larger than the other studios I’ve stayed in.

wow, the light switch looks like a little kid put it in. Is this a refurbished room? I thought the extension pole was for doing chin-ups.

Maybe that was the trial unit built when they were just starting DVC. When we moved into our home, we found a light switch in the garage with tape on it saying do not shut off. Found out it was the lights outside and the previous owner wanted to keep them on when the house wasn't occupied.

wow, the light switch looks like a little kid put it in. Is this a refurbished room? I thought the extension pole was for doing chin-ups.
No building #14 hasn't been refurbished yet. And you might be right, it certainly was sturdy enough!

Building 14 would have been in the first group that was built.
My guess would be they were put into that first group of rooms, but they decided not to add them in the next group of rooms.

Nope, never seen any of that stuff. However, if it hasn't been refurbished yet, that doesn't surprise me. On our last stay at OKW, a few months ago, we got a non-refurbished room that was in the worst shape I'd ever seen. Missing pillows, etc. Maintenance issues, chips in the wall. In our 15+years as members, we've never seen such a "sad" villa.

We had a non renovated room last NYE. A studio on 1st floor of building 62 and it was in very worn out shape. Was a 'sad' villa. ALmost dirty. I spilled a glass of wine all over, cleaned it up and you didn't even notice...LOL. Glad in that instance that it was not a renovated room. But, nope, it did not have that stuff in pics above.

I have never seen one at OKW but we have one of those retractable poles in the downstairs bathroom of our house. It was there when we bought the house in 1993. It is just outside the shower and we use it as a towel hook.

I have never seen one at OKW but we have one of those retractable poles in the downstairs bathroom of our house. It was there when we bought the house in 1993. It is just outside the shower and we use it as a towel hook.
Well I can certainly see why they didn’t put them in the other buildings, you could seriously hurt someone by leaving it extended. I’ve stayed in many OKW villas over the last 19 years, not too many on the 3rd floor. But 1431 was spotless, no wear & tear, pristine paint, looked new, except for that dirty A/C switch!

Bldg 14 was one of the first buildings built at OKW. I've never seen one of the retractable bars before. I've seen switches where you describe the AC switch, but they're the kind that needed a key, not just a regular light switch.

95pkx3x9skpy.jpg

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter