• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

OKW or AK Jambo Advice please

UTBMomof3princesses

Earning My Ears
Hello everyone. I hope this is okay to ask here. I am thinking about renting points and going DVC this Nov. MY question is.. I will be taking my 9 year old daughter and 4 year old son for the first ALONE to Disney.. It will be about 8 ish days... (we have always just stayed in the rooms, have never done DVC before)

I am looking at OKW or AK Jambo or Kidani

So, I am wondering.. if I can have some feedback about both places and which place might be better for a mom alone with two littles. I plan to get a standard room either way. We spend 90% of our time at MK.. and I am pretty good at reading when the kids have had enough and need a break. They are NOT morning people..LOL..

I expect to spend at LEAST 2 of those days as down days.

Help, I have not even stayed at these resorts before.. My favorites are POFQ, Poly and Cont. (The latter would not be in my price range for this trip).

Any advice? Pros and Cons.. for one over the other?

Thank you!

The advantage to OKW will be two queen beds. Jambo will have one queen bed and a sofa bed.
Jambo is a hotel with inside hallways and everything under one roof. They have a much preferable set up for the quick service food than OKW. IMO there is more to do at the resort at Jambo for kids and the pool set up is better simply because of the hotel setup versus OKW.

Depending on when you go in Nov, you may need to book it before seven months out. Or exactly at seven months out. Nov is pretty busy for DVC.

OKW has been our HR since 93. We love everything about the resort, the boat ride to DS, the two beds in a studio, and the Key West atmosphere.
AKL-Jambo we prefer over Kidani cause of the onsite amenities. Kidani has a great kids splash area that your younger one will love. You can go over for the day, there is an internal van that goes back and forth about every 15 minutes.

Depending on when you go in Nov, you may need to book it before seven months out. Or exactly at seven months out. Nov is pretty busy for DVC.
Yes, I am only in the planning stages.. I have been speaking with an agent (DVC renting.. one of the ones recommended) and they are walking me through.. now it is up to me to figure out where I want to go)

Hello everyone. I hope this is okay to ask here. I am thinking about renting points and going DVC this Nov. MY question is.. I will be taking my 9 year old daughter and 4 year old son for the first ALONE to Disney.. It will be about 8 ish days... (we have always just stayed in the rooms, have never done DVC before)

I am looking at OKW or AK Jambo or Kidani

So, I am wondering.. if I can have some feedback about both places and which place might be better for a mom alone with two littles. I plan to get a standard room either way. We spend 90% of our time at MK.. and I am pretty good at reading when the kids have had enough and need a break. They are NOT morning people..LOL..

I expect to spend at LEAST 2 of those days as down days.

Help, I have not even stayed at these resorts before.. My favorites are POFQ, Poly and Cont. (The latter would not be in my price range for this trip).

Any advice? Pros and Cons.. for one over the other?

Thank you!

Yes, I am only in the planning stages.. I have been speaking with an agent (DVC renting.. one of the ones recommended) and they are walking me through.. now it is up to me to figure out where I want to go)

a Lot less walking to and from food places if you stay at AKV, then @ OKW.
Both pools at AKV/L are awsome for the kids, plus the Mara is 1 of the best *(if not the best) QS on property...3 other TS round out your options.

Great Bus service is also a nice plus here.. The one negative ( that most people consider ) is that it's far away from MK.& other parks... I actually think that it's a positive, because it truly is like a vacation within a vacation, when we stay here...So the extra 5 or so minutes actually transports you to another place..:thumbsup2

Either way, enjoy your trip, and no matter where you stay & I'm sure will be great.

Forgot to add, that Resort days are just as fulfilling, because there's always something to do, & see at this resort...

There are only three buildings at OKW that have elevators. Something to keep in mind.

I just came back from a trip to AKL. The bus ride to MK took a little less than. 20 minutes. Really not that bad.

We have owned OKW since 1993, we love the place. But with 2 young kids, AK-J or K with the inside hallways will be an advantage. Jambo adds Mara as mention above. Don't rule out Bolder Ridge (VWL) it's a quick boat ride to/from MK, has great bus service that is covered from the lodge to the bus stop and has onsite fast food and table service eateries. The remodel should be complete by late summer. This is also one of our home resorts. One of, if not the best resort for the Christmas decorations and theme. No matter where you choose, it's Disney World and you will have a great time.

AKL Jambo would be a great place to stay alone with kids. The place is very easy to get around. The pool is lovely. The restaurants - including the quick service Mara - are great and have both kid friendly options plus something for the adventurous eater. You could also take the van to Kidani and eat at Sanaa while watching the animals. I bet the kids would love that! Since our trip last year, Sanaa has added a breakfast (I think it's quick service even though Sanaa itself is usually table service), too, so between the Mara, Sanaa, and Boma, there are plenty of breakfast options. This is a great resort for non-morning people because the balconies or viewing stations make for pleasant slow waking up times. There are lots of kid activities at the resort, and the education staff is wonderful. The animal guides outside are great, too. They are more than happy to talk to the kids about where to see what animals so they can complete the animal check list scavenger hunt (should be in your room or welcome packet). The drummers in the lobby can often be seen teaching children how to play the bongos. The kid clubhouse - if you need to use it - is between Boma and the Mara. There is a playground near the pool, and there are animals all around the pool area. In other words, there is plenty to keep kids busy and happy on non-park days. We drive and use our own car, so I can't comment on the bus system. Whatever you decide, I wish you happy planning!

I'll be interested in the responses. On our last trip, we stayed at OKW to celebrate one granddaughter's b'day and loved it. Thinking of changing it up for the other granddaughter and go to Jambo next time just so that she feels like it's "her" resort-also she loves animals. But I'm thinking I'll miss that huge balcony at OKW. Every morning we'd all sit around the table outside, eat our breakfast, and enjoy the golf view. No big balcony at Jambo.

I'll be interested in the responses. On our last trip, we stayed at OKW to celebrate one granddaughter's b'day and loved it. Thinking of changing it up for the other granddaughter and go to Jambo next time just so that she feels like it's "her" resort-also she loves animals. But I'm thinking I'll miss that huge balcony at OKW. Every morning we'd all sit around the table outside, eat our breakfast, and enjoy the golf view. No big balcony at Jambo.

No big balcony, but plenty of outdoor areas/public viewing/balconies to see the animals from. And just an overall gorgeous resort.

I think AKV. The deluxe resorts have movies around the pool areas at night. You can usually find a schedule online of what is showing which night. Take some popcorn you pop int he room and enjoy. Night vision goggles for animal viewing. Community hall at Kidani is great for activities. Both pools are awesome and kid friendly. At night the CM will do a presentation at Kidani in the library about their country. There is an awesome Drum Cafe at night around the lobby. Jambo will let the kids make a rubbing of the big metal medallion on the lobby floor. At night both resorts have beautiful fire pits and I think nighttime stories from Africa at dusk or shortly their after. Both resorts post their activity lists online. David's vacation rentals has some of the best resort videos both day and night time to help you get an idea( check You Tube).

It sounds like you might have a stroller to deal with and you will need to carry it up the stairs at OKW. And carrying a stroller and a child is not something many can do. You can request a first floor room but it is not guaranteed. And as already mentioned there are only a few buildings with elevators and some of them are in the Hospitality House category which is a separate booking category.

Either AKV is great and there are many viewing areas even if you don't get a savanna view room. Now they have separate buses for Jambo House and Kidani going to MK and DS so that makes it easier to get a seat.

My home resort is OKW, an I love it there. On the other hand, I am just back from 10 nights at Kidani and Jambo (split stay). One thing that there is no doubt about is that AKL has much, much more activities for children. Besides just looking at the animals, there are other activities regarding African culture that will fill up an entire day.

We love AKV Jambo House. We absolutely love the Mara and Boma - some of the best food on property. And if you're dealing with a stroller & it's inclement out Jambo offers more cover getting to / from the bus stop (that's huge IMO). We only stay at OKW if we're scrooging on points. They have 5 bus stops and the buses there run like molasses thru a straw. You can't go wrong with AKV tho.

I think a lot depends upon whether or not you're flying to Disney, or driving to Disney. If flying, AK is probably you're better choice. But if you're driving, I think OKW would be the best. You can park close to your room at OKW, and the larger rooms would probably be a plus. But the longer walks for resort services, if you're not driving, with those young children could be the deciding factor.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter