OKW Lovers Thread. Part 2

We have owned at OKW since 1997, and I never realized how much I didn't know about it. Thanks for all the great information.

We have our OKW vacation coming up at the end of MAY and are not sure where to stay or what request to put in. We did have HH waitlisted, but at this point I don't think that request will come through and we want to make sure we at least give some preferences on reservation prior to check-in. We don't plan to use Disney transportation to the parks very often, since we'll have our car and AP's. The only thing we would really like is to be close to the main pool and a higher floor. If we request close to HH, what building numbers would that encompass? Would there be a better location to the pool and refill machines? Anything we should specifically request? We did stay at OKW back in 2011, and I believe we stayed in building 63 or 64 due to having my mom with us and she was using a scooter at the time. Thanks for any help you can provide.

We have our OKW vacation coming up at the end of MAY and are not sure where to stay or what request to put in. We did have HH waitlisted, but at this point I don't think that request will come through and we want to make sure we at least give some preferences on reservation prior to check-in. We don't plan to use Disney transportation to the parks very often, since we'll have our car and AP's. The only thing we would really like is to be close to the main pool and a higher floor. If we request close to HH, what building numbers would that encompass? Would there be a better location to the pool and refill machines? Anything we should specifically request? We did stay at OKW back in 2011, and I believe we stayed in building 63 or 64 due to having my mom with us and she was using a scooter at the time. Thanks for any help you can provide.
You might want to request Peninsular Road, Bldg 27, 28 and 29. That is right next to the HH area buildings across the bridge. Walking out your door, you look out to the main pool and HH area. So you would just walk across the bridge to the mug refill area at Goods to Go. They usually reserve the elevator buildings for medical needs. You'd be right next to the Peninsular Road bus stop (you'll want to take the bus to MK, driving and parking takes so much longer since you have to get to the TTC, then hop an monorail or the ferry to the MK).

I added Pennisula Rd as a request on online check-in, but when I call in to make a request on our VB stay, I'll add those building numbers. Thanks so much. So excited to stay at OKW again. My boys actually requested to stay here again. :-)

What are the official buildings that are designated HH?

The "official" buildings are 11 to 14 and 23 to 26. Occasionally the 60s buildings are used, if there is a problem with a unit or if someone has mobility issues, as the 60s buildings are the only ones with elevators.

What is the Disney Transportation like to and from Old Key West Resort? (from the parks and back) (modes of transportation) (average wait times)

What is the Disney Transportation like to and from Old Key West Resort? (from the parks and back) (modes of transportation) (average wait times)
Every Onsite WDW Resort has occasional problems with transportation, OKW is no exception. I would say OKW is on par with any other resort. It is connected to the parks by bus, and to Disney Springs by bus and ferry boat. The ferry boat dock at Disney Springs is near Cirque and House of Blues. (Westside)

Bus is about 15 to 20 minutes to MK and Studios and EPCOT, a little longer to AK. Times are once the bus leaves the resort. Remember there are 5 bus stops within the resort itself, so it can take a while to make those rounds.

Agree with @Chuck S comments above about the transportation at OKW. Its no better/worse than any of the other WDW resorts.

If you have a car, OKW does have a significant advantage in that you can park at the resort right outside your unit. Very convenient.

We just returned from another great OKW trip. We were in building 16 and loved the location. This was the 2nd time we have stayed in this building. This was our 25th anniversary trip and it could not have been better. We dined at Olivia's and love our meals. In fact other than V&A it was our favorite meal of the trip. Loved the boats to Disney Springs. The only drawback to the boats was the long wait back to the resort on the weekends.

Just remember, depending upon the make up of your traveling party, that there was a design change at OKW during construction. In Bldgs 29 and below, in one bedroom and larger units, there is one entrance to the master bath, through the master bedroom. If someone is sleeping in the living room, they'd need to go through the master bedroom to use the restroom. In bldgs 30 and higher, there are two entrances to the master bathroom. through the master bedroom and through the laundry room.

well, with the fall room only discount that dropped this morning OKW is now at $228.90 a night for my dates in September. I went ahead and chose BWV though at $289.80 since it's first weekend of F&W. One day I will get to stay at OKW!

We are staying for our first visit at OKW, Thanksgiving week...the refillable mugs, are those only available to be refilled down at HH, or are there other stations? We are hoping to get our request for either buildings 45 or 46, so that would be quite the walk in order to refill our mugs!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter