OKW Lovers Thread. Part 2

Bldg 18, 35, 14 and 38 all have a one bedroom or studio on the third floor. We've been stuck in that studio twice. Plus two of the studios (there are four on the third floor) don't have a window, only a porch door. And that's the room we've gotten both times.

That sounds less than awesome. :( Did you make room requests?

I have another question. My parents, my hubby, and I are all staying at OKW. My brother and sister in law will be staying offsite. My SIL asked me if they could park their car at our resort during the day and take the bus to the parks (trying to avoid parking fees). I assume this isn't allowed because, well, wouldn't everyone do that? Her father is telling her it's perfectly fine. Can someone weigh in with the facts?

Originally to be lower floor. But then Bill asked if we could request to be closer to his friend. And we got that one. If we hadn't been so close it would have been totally terrible for us. But they were on the 2nd floor, we were on the 3rd. So our son and Bill's friend could leave to go to the race together each morning. They both ran the Dopey.

I've stayed in windowless studios twice. I really didn't notice it that much as there was a large mirror where the windows usually are located. These studios are on all 3 floors (so 6 total) in each of the 4 "U" shaped buildings on the ends of the crossbar of the "U".
I have another question. My parents, my hubby, and I are all staying at OKW. My brother and sister in law will be staying offsite. My SIL asked me if they could park their car at our resort during the day and take the bus to the parks (trying to avoid parking fees). I assume this isn't allowed because, well, wouldn't everyone do that? Her father is telling her it's perfectly fine. Can someone weigh in with the facts?

You are allowed to have guests during the day, but officially parking at a resort simply to avoid parking fees is a no-no. And they'll have to check-in with the guard before they can drive in to the resort and show ID, the resorts are phasing out the free parking window banners for onsite guests as the parks will now scan your Magic Bands, the resort guard stations can scan them, too.

I've stayed in windowless studios twice. I really didn't notice it that much as there was a large mirror where the windows usually are located. These studios are on all 3 floors (so 6 total) in each of the 4 "U" shaped buildings on the ends of the crossbar of the "U".

You are allowed to have guests during the day, but officially parking at a resort simply to avoid parking fees is a no-no. And they'll have to check-in with the guard before they can drive in to the resort and show ID, the resorts are phasing out the free parking window banners for onsite guests as the parks will now scan your Magic Bands, the resort guard stations can scan them, too.

Thank you. That's kind of what I assumed. We've only stayed onsite once (at POR) and I remember having to scan in and such. I'm trying not to come off to her as a Debbie downer but I don't want her unprepared either. :( I figured it would be best to find out for sure.

We were in building 28 last year, which was lovely and quiet. I'd like to be a bit closer to HH (any of those along that road would be fine), but have been told that only DVC members can chose to be near HH. Well, we ARE DVC members, but this is a cash booking we're coming over on and it may not apply. However, I am down as having to be near as I hire a scooter. Last year they tried to put us in building 18 - on the 2nd floor!!!!! Thank goodness we didn't just accept the room and go straight there!

No-one know where they're refurbishing next, but I can't believe they'll take 62 and 63 and 64 all out at the same time. We had that in 2015, and it was a lovely building to be in (1 bed). 28 was good, but obviously didn't have the second bathroom door.

We’re confirmed to stay at OKW in a one bed villa later this year (it’s a cash booking). We have a toddler so I initially planned to request ground floor to avoid hauling the stroller upstairs. However, I’m also concerned about her bolting out the patio doors if we have them open. Can anyone advise if ALL ground floor one bed villas have a fenced patio (just like a balcony) or are some of them more like an open deck?

This is our first stay at OKW and I am so excited!

Since I have a reservation for May/June I received the following email. I'm guessing, but am not certain, that the buildings near the Turtle Pond Pool will also be down for rehab during that time, as that would make the most sense...but there really is no way to be sure. It should not affect me, as this is a trip where I reserved Near HH, which is unusual for me.

Welcome home! We are delighted you have chosen Disney's Old Key West Resort as your vacation destination, and we look forward to sharing the tranquility of our Florida Keys-inspired community with you!

In an effort to continually enhance the Guest experience here at the Walt Disney World® Resort, we often refresh our offerings and atmosphere. In preparation for your upcoming stay, we would like to inform you that Turtle Pond Pool, Turtle Shack Snack Bar and Flying Fish Gameroom will be unavailable due to refurbishment from April to early July 2018. During this time, we invite you to join us at our feature pool, Sandcastle Pool, featuring a waterslide, kiddie pool and a variety of dining and recreation locations. In addition, the South Point Pool and Miller’s Road Pool will be available for your enjoyment.

While we work our magic, it is possible that you may see construction. We apologize for any inconvenience this may cause and appreciate your patience and understanding. Please know we are making every effort to ensure your stay is both comfortable and enjoyable.

If you have questions or need assistance prior to your arrival, please call Disney Vacation Club® Member Services at 800-***-**** or 407-***-**** between the hours of 9:00am-9:00pm (ET) Monday through Friday or 9:00am-7:00pm (ET) Saturday and Sunday.

Since I have a reservation for May/June I received the following email. I'm guessing, but am not certain, that the buildings near the Turtle Pond Pool will also be down for rehab during that time, as that would make the most sense...but there really is no way to be sure. It should not affect me, as this is a trip where I reserved Near HH, which is unusual for me.

Welcome home! We are delighted you have chosen Disney's Old Key West Resort as your vacation destination, and we look forward to sharing the tranquility of our Florida Keys-inspired community with you!

In an effort to continually enhance the Guest experience here at the Walt Disney World® Resort, we often refresh our offerings and atmosphere. In preparation for your upcoming stay, we would like to inform you that Turtle Pond Pool, Turtle Shack Snack Bar and Flying Fish Gameroom will be unavailable due to refurbishment from April to early July 2018. During this time, we invite you to join us at our feature pool, Sandcastle Pool, featuring a waterslide, kiddie pool and a variety of dining and recreation locations. In addition, the South Point Pool and Miller’s Road Pool will be available for your enjoyment.

While we work our magic, it is possible that you may see construction. We apologize for any inconvenience this may cause and appreciate your patience and understanding. Please know we are making every effort to ensure your stay is both comfortable and enjoyable.

If you have questions or need assistance prior to your arrival, please call Disney Vacation Club® Member Services at 800-***-**** or 407-***-**** between the hours of 9:00am-9:00pm (ET) Monday through Friday or 9:00am-7:00pm (ET) Saturday and Sunday.
Last time I wanted millers road top end but got bottom end so changed to Turtle Pond and loved it. Right next to the pool and we preferred that to the main pool. We’re going in August and part of me is pleased it looks like this is the area getting refurbed first but most of me is absolutely gutted as I think it means this area is going to be much harder to get and I might not end up there in August!

I got the same email today. Hoping it doesn’t interfere with our trip.

We're going in early May and I haven't gotten this email. Do you think it's only going to DVC members? I'm still hoping for something closer to the main pool but this eliminates my backup plan of being near Turtle Pond pool. :sad1:

We're going in early May and I haven't gotten this email. Do you think it's only going to DVC members? I'm still hoping for something closer to the main pool but this eliminates my backup plan of being near Turtle Pond pool. :sad1:

Did you book cash through Disney, or are you renting from a DVC Member? If you are renting from a member, it is likely the member received the email. IN truth, I doubt this will have a huge impact on anyones vacation, unless they are placed in a building on Turtle Pond road. Especially in a studio, as the laundry room by the pool will probably be closed.

Did you book cash through Disney, or are you renting from a DVC Member? If you are renting from a member, it is likely the member received the email. IN truth, I doubt this will have a huge impact on anyones vacation, unless they are placed in a building on Turtle Pond road. Especially in a studio, as the laundry room by the pool will probably be closed.

It's a cash booking. I'm thinking maybe that why I didn't get an email about it.

I am a cash buyer from the UK, booked via WDTC for a 14 night stay, and I got the email yesterday. I must say I am a bit concerned as I am worried we may be put somewhere near the construction. We tend to spend 3 hours or so at the resort each day by a quiet pool, so any construction noise or seeing any construction would bother us a lot.

I am a cash buyer from the UK, booked via WDTC for a 14 night stay, and I got the email yesterday. I must say I am a bit concerned as I am worried we may be put somewhere near the construction. We tend to spend 3 hours or so at the resort each day by a quiet pool, so any construction noise or seeing any construction would bother us a lot.
Request to be in the Miller's Road or South Point area, that should be away from the Turtle Pond construction.

Last edited:
I can't remember what all has been said about building renovations. But we just returned from a week in bldg 48 (South Point bus stop area). There was a large chunk of bldgs blocked off and undergoing interior renovations. I didn't catch the bldg numbers. Probably low 50s?

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter