OKW Grand Villa condition?

WDWorld2003

DIS Veteran
An OKW Grand Villa opened up which I may book. We are trying for the Boardwalk where we usually stay but it probably won't happen so I may grab the available OKW days. Many of the threads talk about the need for rehab at OKW. We have never stayed there and will have two kids (one baby) and 6 adults. Plan on renting a car. Any thoughts on this resort would be great.. especially the Grand Villas. Other concerns are the amount of walking and lack of night life compared to the Boardwalk. Any help would be appreciated!

OKW is run down, they are in the process of a major refurb. You may want to wait a year or so to try it.
That way I will have a better chance to get a unit when I need it.

As far as night life goes, just take the boat to Disney Springs.

OKW is not run down. It has been fairly well maintained but some people don't like the older look to the villas. Some portions of the villa inside are still the same as they were when they were first built, like the bathrooms. Unless you get a renovated villa. Then it will be plain and non-themed.

I’ve seen some more pictures of the refurb and they actually look pretty nice in my view with more accented colours than first thought- the green wood on the wall still there, rainbow coloured chairs, what looks like coloured coral in frames etc. The bathrooms are grey but they look nice if a little generic, with a colourful picture over the bath.

I’ve seen some more pictures of the refurb and they actually look pretty nice in my view with more accented colours than first thought- the green wood on the wall still there, rainbow coloured chairs, what looks like coloured coral in frames etc. The bathrooms are grey but they look nice if a little generic, with a colourful picture over the bath.
They may be colorful, but they are non-themed to the Key West theme.

Thanks for your help.... I was able to book 6 nights and we are excited for our first stay at OKW! It will be nice to have the extra space of a Grand Villa and the boat to Disney Springs.

Any suggestions on areas to request for a Grand Villa that are quiet but walking distance to the hospitality area?

Thanks for your help.... I was able to book 6 nights and we are excited for our first stay at OKW! It will be nice to have the extra space of a Grand Villa and the boat to Disney Springs.

Any suggestions on areas to request for a Grand Villa that are quiet but walking distance to the hospitality area?
I think those GVs are a bargain for the points. We have never stayed in one, I bet you have a great time!

Thank you! Any areas that I should avoid because of construction? We are going the week beginning March 17. Because of the baby we will probably spend more time in the resort than usual so looking forward to the community room area with shuffleboard, etc. :-)

Thank you! Any areas that I should avoid because of construction? We are going the week beginning March 17. Because of the baby we will probably spend more time in the resort than usual so looking forward to the community room area with shuffleboard, etc. :-)
My family thoroughly enjoyed activities at OKW’s Community Room.

OKW is not run down. It has been fairly well maintained but some people don't like the older look to the villas. Some portions of the villa inside are still the same as they were when they were first built, like the bathrooms. Unless you get a renovated villa. Then it will be plain and non-themed.

They may be colorful, but they are non-themed to the Key West theme.

Entirely agree! I've stayed in the GV's at OKW many times over the years since we purchased in the early 90's. They are huge, and a tremendous value IMO. As for location, lots of folks get hung up on that, but we prefer to be far from HH as we can hop on any bus (or the internal bus), which will make it's last stop at HH before leaving for it's theme park destination. SO if you are not within easy walking distance to HH, just hop on any bus! Please do double check with the bus driver to ensure there have been no changes to the "stop at HH before leaving OKW" policy. :cutie:

And I totally agree with Deb & Bill that the refurbs are not nearly as themed. I would have much preferred a refresh of what was there previously to some of the "updated" looks. JMHO

We stayed in a GV in 2016 in building 15. It was a good location not too far from HH walking there. It was also quiet and overlooked the golf course. We are going this year at the end of May and have a GV HH area so I know we will be in building 25 since that building is the only one in the HH area with GV. The bus stop is right there and you are close to HH just a short walk over the bridge.

We had a Grand Villa near the Hospitality Center. It was in top shape and beautifully furnished. Highly recommend them.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter