OKW and Groceries

WolfpackFan

Retired and loving every minute of it!!
It's amazing how plans can change so fast. We check into OKW for a week on June 16th. All along we had planned to drive down (10 hours from our home). But this morning DW and I got to talking and have decided to fly instead of driving. It turns out that the cost to fly is not a huge increase over driving when you take into account the high cost of gas these days. Plus I've put so many miles on my car lately, I would just as soon as leave it at home and keep those extra miles off. Finally I just wasn't looking forward to that 10 hour drive down and back.

Well here is the problem. We plan to fly and use ME to get to OKW. I'm fine with this except we would like to have some groceries - some soft drinks, beer, coffee, breakfast food of some type, etc. I know from past trips, the cost for items like this when you buy them at the little stores in the resorts is very high.

I'd like to hear from others what you would do in my situation. Do you just buy from the resort stores? Are there any grocery delivery services (and if so, how expensive are they compared to the resort store). What is the closest grocery store to OKW? Are there any within walking distance of DTD, that we could pick up a few items and carry back on the boat to OKW? Any other suggestions? I'm sorry if this has been talked about a lot in the past, but I didn't pay much attention because I always just assumed we'd drive down. I tried to do a search, but I can't ever seem to get the search function here to work.

We've used WeGoShop.com several times.

You reserve a delivery time ahead of time (the sooner, the better). You e-mail a grocery list to them a week before your delivery. They do the shopping for you. You pay the actual cash register price, plus a reasonable shopping/delivery fee and an optional tip.

If you're going to eat some meals in your room, WeGoShop is much better than using the resort store. You'll have a lot more choice, and the prices are local grocery store prices, not inflated resort store prices.

It's also a great way to save time because you're not wasting valuable vacation time trying to do your own grocery shopping.

WeGoShop will deliver wine and beer to adults.

WeGoShop of Central Florida is a ma-and-pa business, so you deal directly with the owner of the Central Florida franchise.

Since we usually start our stay at a different Disney resort, we take a cab to the Winn-Dixie that's close to OKW. Around $30 round trip.

If you are just looking to get beer and drinks there are two Hess stations that you can walk to one by DTD and one by the BW they are very reasonable for beer... as far as breakfast items OKW store is the same price as everyone else --Bagles donuts etc--

I am looking into the same thing here. I usually fax a grocery list 3 days before our arrival date for our resort stay.

I did a search and found out about www.gardengrocer.com. I looked at their website and I was amazed. Prices look real reasonable to me. My DH is a Dr. Pepper fan and I was wondering how I was going to get a stash for him other than stocking up at the airport or taking time off from my vacation to catch a cab and go shop.:)

If you are just looking to get beer and drinks there are two Hess stations that you can walk to one by DTD and one by the BW they are very reasonable for beer... as far as breakfast items OKW store is the same price as everyone else --Bagles donuts etc--

I'm thinking this might be our best solution. I looked at Garden Grocer and the other service, but I hate to pay the delivery charges for the little amount I'd be ordering. I figure we'll just take some coffee, filters, etc. and breakfast bars in our luggage and then walk over to the Hess for beer and cokes.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter