Okay, I have to ask... Does EVERYONE like the Monte Cristo?

I've only ever tried the 3 cheese one from CO and I really liked it.

Before trying it I'd see it mentioned on the boards and think "yuck" but decided I had better find out for myself.

It's certainly very unlike anything I've ever eaten before, and I've found it's best shared between 4 people with a side of Pomme Frites and a couple of gumbos.

I can usually handle one bite and that is it. It is just too greasy for me.

Honestly, the sight and description of the Monte Cristo sandwich that everyone loves so much makes me a little queezy. A deep fried white bread sandwich stuffed with various cheeses...? My tummy hurts just thinking about it and I can't imagine that sitting in my tummy whilst Soaring over California. :scared:

Maybe it's a southern thing...? We don't deep fry a whole lot up here in Canada-land so maybe that's it?

For some reason, I do want to try it this time just to taste for myself but there is just nothing about it that sounds appetizing. It's going to take a lot to look over all the other nummy options available. I'm so not a picky or overly healthy eater either.

I'm curious, anyone think they would hate it but loved it after trying it?

I never had the one there, but I did try one once. Believe it or not, it sounded good to me. Disgusting!

I also tried the Dole Whip because of all the hooplah about it. Disgusting artificial pineapple flavoring! Or maybe it's just that I've been spoiled with organic pineapple? Idk, but that Dole Whip is just nasty, even my kids wouldn't eat more than a few bites.

I think that it is worth trying, but since there tends to be mixed reviews on it, I would share it if you decide to try it.

Personally, I love the Monte Cristo--but I do agree with peoples' recommendations to split the sandwich with someone else, because it is very rich. I have only had it once, & I can't wait to have it again, but I will definitely be sharing it the second time too because no matter how much I think it's delicious, it is too heavy to eat by myself (& I have a big appetite).

Good luck :dance3:

I never had the one there, but I did try one once. Believe it or not, it sounded good to me. Disgusting!

I also tried the Dole Whip because of all the hooplah about it. Disgusting artificial pineapple flavoring! Or maybe it's just that I've been spoiled with organic pineapple? Idk, but that Dole Whip is just nasty, even my kids wouldn't eat more than a few bites.

I'm with you on the Dole Whip, I just do not get the hype. Also the Plaza Inn chicken, YUCK.

I guess the moral of the story is that you just have to try it yourself to find out.

I like the CO Monte Cristo. I love fried food and it doesn't bother my digestive system at all. But it is denser than it looks. I could not convince DS 10 to share it with me - he was going to eat the whole thing by himself, he said. He can eat like an adult but barely got through 2 of the 4 pieces. I ate the other 2 pieces and felt like I had eaten a complete meal.
Since you don't love fried food I'd skip it, or order it as a heavy appetizer to share between 4 people.
FWIW I don't get the craze over the pommes frites, but I make garlic fries at home so I'm spoiled I guess. I hate mayo so I have never eaten the pommes frites sauce - maybe that's what people like about them.

I'm with you on the Dole Whip, I just do not get the hype. Also the Plaza Inn chicken, YUCK.

I guess the moral of the story is that you just have to try it yourself to find out.

We must have the same taste too. Although the Dole whip was "good", we all found it kind of greasy and chemically tasting. It was still refreshing on a hot day though. :goodvibes

You can make one at home. Get two sponges, a small deep fryer and stuff it with homebrand cheese.

I was very excited to try it when I was last in DL. Never. Again. :crazy2:

You can make one at home. Get two sponges, a small deep fryer and stuff it with homebrand cheese.

I was very excited to try it when I was last in DL. Never. Again. :crazy2:
That's kind of harsh... borderline offensive to those that like it :scared:

I think the first bite is amazing and then it quickly becomes too much. My daughter and I split one last summer and couldn't finish it. I wish you could just get little appetizer bites of them.

eh - it was something that has been built up like a legend. The Monte Cristo has been on the Blue Bayou menu from the beginning (I think). We never ate fried foods at home, so ordering the MC on those rare Disneyland trips (with an even rarer meal at the BB) was so special. I feel like I've been there, done that, don't need to have it again.

I love it, it's definitely a heavy meal, but it's a once in a trip thing (sometimes twice :laughing: ). If I'm being honest though, I actually much prefer the Pomme Frites (the remoulade sauce is AMAZING), but the combination of the two is the best - I wouldn't eat the Monte Cristo without the Pomme Frites, but I would eat the Pomme Frites without the Monte Cristo.

That's how we feel too. We generally share one (and still can't finish) for lunch one day during our trip and we never order it without the Pommes Frites. We don't have much fried food in our diet, but that all goes out the window at DLR.

My Personal Motto: “Try it first, and then ask what is in it” – I am a very adventurous foodie and like most things I try.

The description of a Monte Cristo: “Fried ham and cheese sandwich sprinkled with powdered sugar and served with preserves” did not sound very appealing – but I had to try it! So my girls and I made reservations for Cafe Orleans...

Once was enough. It tasted just like it sounds… :sick:

Jeri

We tried both of the MC at CO.
Not what I was expecting. I don't think anyone in my family really liked it.
I just tried one at our local museum cafeteria. I liked it much better.
Also, not a Dole Whip or turkey leg fan.

That's how we feel too. We generally share one (and still can't finish) for lunch one day during our trip and we never order it without the Pommes Frites. We don't have much fried food in our diet, but that all goes out the window at DLR.
We are exactly the same!
RpPyQYb.gif

I liked it, but I'll admit it took me two meals to eat the whole sandwich... and it's not as good (IMO) at that second warm-up. Much more rich than I was expecting! I had the meat one in BB.

I'm going to try this in a few weeks... I've never thought it sounded good, but now I've just got to do it. If it tastes good, I'll kill the whole thing. I'm the type of guy they kick out of all you can eat places... you been here 3 hours... you leave now...

I hope to try this when we go in a week and a half. I am a big fan of the Monte Cristo sandwich (use to get one at a restaurant in Omaha when I was a teenager) but haven't rwally had a good once since. I will probably go with the meat one as that's what's closest to what I use to having before. The cheese one doesn't appeal to me that much.

I tried it for the first time a couple of weeks ago. Not for me. I don't mind fried food occasionally, and I do like cheese - but the texture of this was just not to my liking. We asked for it without the powdered sugar (the idea of sweet with cheese turned my stomach) and had the berries on the side, but it still was my dining lowlight of the visit. I think the cheeky poster who likened it to sponges stuffed with homebrand cheese was cynically on the mark :rotfl:

Good to hear though that there are enough people who do like it to justify it staying on the menu. Sounds like there'd be a riot if they tried to get rid of it.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter