Okay... after all this planning, why do I feel so unprepared?

MrsPotatoHead

Mouseketeer
We booked our cruise back in January of 2002, so we've been planning for over a year. It's our first cruise ever. I have read the cruise line discussions on the DIS, have pored over trip reports, have studied menus and navigators from Barb and Tony and Dave's sites, have made numerous packing lists, have bought OTD shoe holders, an extension cord and power strip, have checked and double-checked our plane reservations, have booked the Radisson, have booked Hard Rock Hotel for our trip to Universal after the cruise, have read my new Passporter cover to cover, have planned a very detailed budget for the "extras", have researched each port, have planned our excursions, have done all my new clothes shopping, have made lists, and lists of lists (LOL), have watched the DCL video several times, and have read and re-read everything I wanted to review prior to our cruise.

So why am I suddenly feeling so unprepared?? Pre-cruise jitters? Does this happen to anyone else?? EEEEK!!!!! :)

Yes, I have an almost constnt panic attac going on!!!!
I think it's more the excitement!!!! as its my first "real" vacation in 25 years!:teeth: :earseek: :earseek: :earseek: :earseek: :earseek: :earseek:

I Also Read The Adventures Of Barb & Tony 2X...I Read Passporter
Cover To Cover...Went Over Disboards Front To Back..And I Also
Keep Going Over To Dave Cruises Daily.I Just Told My DW Over
Dinner, I Don't Think I Know Enough About Our Upcoming Trip.
And The Kick Is...Where Leaving In 6 Days.If Anybody Feels Your Pain It's Me....It's Also Our First.. :(

Count me in on that panic feeling too!! It starting to creep in...between packing for the trip, finishing up several projects at work, thinking that I'm forgetting to do/buy something. To top it all off, our 3yr old daughter will be getting ear tubes inserted, for the second time, the week before we leave. My brain is always thinking on fast forward...why else can't I sleep at 1:30am (other than my "nap" at 8:30pm when I fell asleep on my daughter's bed.)?

right now Ive eased up a little but Im expecting a big panic at the 22hr mark
made it from the 11month to the 22hr countdown then had to start over again at the 12month countdown
this time I gotta make it through the 22hr mark

I am so on the edge of my seat also. This will be our first cruise and I can't stand the wait any longer. I think its the pure excitement of all of it.

20 days :bounce: :Pinkbounc :bounce: :Pinkbounc :bounce:

Pre-cruise anxiety is very common. Especially if it is your first cruise. I'll be heading out on my 5th cruise on DCL (and my 12th cruise overall) and I still get jitters about some things.

To those of you who have read the boards, looked over the sights, read your passporters, etc. - you are prepared! Time to start signing - Don't Worry - Be Happy! This from a self-admitted worrier.

My best piece of advice is once the vacation starts - just enjoy it. Everything may not be perfect and there is nothing you can do about it. When something goes wrong you can look at it in one of two ways: you can moan and groan about it not being exactly as you expected or you can roll with the tide and enjoy. I think a great example of this is the 3/29 cruisers who ended up on a mystery cruise.

Know that by doing all you have done you are much more prepared than many getting on the ship and by others getting off other ships in port.

Enjoy your cruises!

This is MrsPotatoHead's sister. Count me in as one of the anxiety-ridden. I keep having dreams that I'm on the cruise and I have forgotten to pack almost everything! I'm so excited and I can't wait for this cruise - I just wish I could get rid of that nagging feeling that I'm not completely prepared (although, like my sister, I have researched EVERYTHING).

We have a long way to go until our first cruise. And I'm reading, listening, reading, watching..... I'm sure by the time that 22nd hour comes, I'll be in a panic, too! It's almost as if we're going into an environment completely alien from what we're used to! Do you remember your first trip to WDW? Trying to get your hands on something so big, enormous and wonderful is not for the feint of heart! I hope to follow my own advice and remember that we may not see/do everything, but we will have fun!:Pinkbounc And, with luck, there'll be a next time!

Enjoy!:D

The best thing is that even if you "forget" everything you have read and only do a fraction of the things you had planned to do, you will still have a wonderful time. When we went in 2001, I had expected to do much more but we were all exhausted after the land portion of our vacation and we spent a lot of time just swimming, relaxing and exploring the ship. We had a fabulous time anyway and are really looking forward to our next trip. This time we are going to try to do more, but if we don't....so what? It is a vacation afterall. Relax and Enjoy!!:cool:

Wow you guys are way more prepared than me and now I'm realising just how unready I am LOL!!

MrsPotatoHead - I think you're prepared enough to have the time of your life, but perhpas you need a brown paper bag to breathe into, just in case ;) ;)

Have fun !

STOP !!...........sit back, take a deep breath, relax and don't angonize over this. You will find: you can not do it all on 1 cruise.
Let what happens...happen, take it in stride, but mostly have fun and enjoy the trip.
Remember...the most fun is booking the 2nd trip to be able to do some of the other activities you missed out on.

I feel so relieved knowing that I'm not the only one experiecing 1st timer cruise/anxiety and excitement. That's probably why I'm on this board until the wee hours each night. My husband thinks I'm nuts with all the preparation but he appreciates it once we're there. I'm already worrying about the post-trip depression --what will I do without the boards to look forward to!

Just remember : flexibility is the key to good health. Plan, read, watch the video, feed your DIS obsession, but do it all in good fun. A large part of the vacation/cruise experience is the preparation. If you spend too much time stressing the small things, wondering about the "what ifs", setting unreal expectations, then there is bound to be disappointment.
Breathe, enjoy, welcome the unexpected, unplanned for gifts of this special time together with friends and family. It doesn't matter if you forget the second swimsuit, never take a photo from the camera left on the nightstand or miss the Palo High Tea.
We hold these memories in our hearts and when looking back upon your magical time you will cherish the experience and not what was overlooked on the lists.
Our best day on our last cruise was an unplanned day at sea when we couldn't dock at Grand Cayman due to high seas.
Best of times to you all,
Dawn Hope

way to prepared we went on our first cruise with out the benefit of knowing of this board ..... imagine that ,,
and really as long as u read the sheet given to u by your room steward u will be fine ..... i thinkit is called navagator
peter

Originally posted by MrsPotatoHead
We booked our cruise back in January of 2002, so we've been planning for over a year. ....So why am I suddenly feeling so unprepared?? Pre-cruise jitters? Does this happen to anyone else?? EEEEK!!!!! :)

You are definitely not alone!! My Mom, who travels a lot, becomes a basket case several days before she leaves. She has always been this way and it drives us crazy. However, the moment she gets on the plane, she's fine. Relax and and enjoy your vacation!!

Hey Susan, Robert and Angela,

I am right there with you. I had to fight with myself for the last month to restrain from starting to form piles of stuff for the trip! Once the two week mark hit though, the piles have begun. Out came the snorkel gear, the bikinis, the pillowcases (for the characters to sign), the mexican and american money (we always keep our leftover money from previous trips for the next time), the map of the caribbean, the goodies for wenabre, katdb and our nana.

I made up mailing labels on Sunday, started working on the postcards this week (need a new colour ink cartridge) - I am making my own.

Now I have to start wrapping up at work. I will only have four more days in the office next week. This week I have to fly down to Calgary on Fri morning and fly back on Sat. (well at least I get more airmiles). Soon, two and a half weeks off!!!!!!! Yay!!!!!!

The tanning sessions are finally starting to kick in, and some colour is showing on my pasty white skin.

Can't wait (only 12 more sleeps till I leave),

Dragon Lady

Hi Danielle - glad to know we will be in like company at dinner! We can all reminisce about our packing panic together in a couple of weeks. I couldn't get to sleep last night thinking about all the things I don't want to forget - even though I've made a list! All that combined with exercising my toes for the contest with Wenabre is just too much - ha ha!

I'm gently prodding DH & DSs about what they want to do - to book excursions (parasailing) and where they want to eat at WDW - but they just can't get their heads into it - still 90 days away.

The minute you step on the ship.....most of it won't matter. You'll be swept up in the magic of it all and just have fun. Don't worry, it's all "in there".....something will jog a brain cell and you'll remember reading or hearing about something and scamper off to enjoy!!
Relax, it's the most wonderful vacation you'll ever have!!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter