Ok gang...I am having a Luau.....need help

goofymom/pop

<font color=deeppink>oh where oh where can the tag
with decorating ideas (cheap ones) and good recipes....we are having the traditional burgers and dogs, but I also want to make some boneless chicken for the health consciense....anyone have a yummy grilled chicken recipe.....help!!! Need salad ideas too! or dips......

ANYTHING!!!!

cindy

How about sweet & sour chicken? I make it ahead of time and throw it in a crock pot.

Chop up some boneless chicken breast and fry in either oil or orange juice.

Mix in a bowl:
The juice from 1 large can of chunk pineapple
2 tbsp. corn starch
1/2 c. brown sugar
1/3 c. vinegar
2 tsp. soy sauce
Pour into skillet and cook until it starts to thicken.
Add chicken, chunk pinapple, some chopped green pepper, a can of water chestnuts, and some red and/or green marrachino cherries.

Try OrientalTrading.com .... they have some great & inexpensive decorations in a lot of different themes ...including Luau themes ..

Have Fun !!

Chicken Sate would be fun for a luau party. You could even poke the skewers into a pineapple for a serving idea.

Here's a recipe I found for the sate.

Chicken Sate

2 pounds boneless skinless chicken breasts
Marinade:

1/4 cup soy sauce
1/4 cup fresh lemon juice
2 tablespoons vegetable oil
1 tablespoon sugar

Dipping Sauce:

2 cloves garlic -- chopped
4 green onions (white part only) -- chopped
2 tablespoons fresh lime juice
1 tablespoon brown sugar
1/2 teaspoon curry powder
1/2 teaspoon crushed red pepper
3/4 cup peanut butter
3/4 cup coconut cream or milk -- (unsweetened)

Pound the chicken breasts between sheets of plastic wrap until thin and even. Cut into strips about 3/4 inch wide and several inches long. In a medium sized bowl, combine marinade ingredients. Add chicken strips to marinade and allow to marinate at room temperature, tossing occasionally, for 30 minutes. You can marinate longer in the refrigerator, but remove from refrigerator 30 minutes before grilling.

Meanwhile, in a food processor or blender, combine garlic, green onions, lime juice, brown sugar, curry powder, and hot pepper flakes. Process until garlic and onions are finely chopped. Add peanut butter and coconut milk. Process until smooth.

Thread chicken on 10 or 12-inch wooden skewers which have been thoroughly soaked in advance. Grill over direct medium-high heat for approximately 10 minutes, turning occasionally and basting with the peanut sauce. Cook until just tender and opaque. The chicken will barely turn color so doneness should be determined by the firmness of the meat. Be careful to not overcook or the meat will be dry.

Serve chicken with remaining peanut sauce for dipping.

Yield: 8 servings

I also found this site with Luau recipes. They sound interesting - I've never tried any of them, but I thought you might like the link.

http://www.1800partysolutions.com/luaurecipes.htm

Hope this helps.

thanks for the link and recipes. they sound great. I am printing them out and will run them by the hubby to see what he thinks.....I knew I could count on the dis board for great ideas...

cindy

The PTA hosted a luau-type lunch for us teachers at school and they were very creative. The drinks were chilling in a small children's swimming pool filled with ice. Each person was given a lei to wear during lunch along with a pail and shovel. They also had one of the noisemakers with various sounds on it set to ocean waves. These are some of the decorating ideas. I don't even remember what we ate since I was so taken with the decorations. Hope this helps!

get a real pineapple........cut the top off and save it........
cut out some of the pineapple from the inside.....
make small cubes out of the pineapple
make small cubes out of cheddar cheese
bottle of marachino cherries.......
take some toothpicks and put the pineapple, then the cheddar cheese....cherries....and stick it to the side of the pineapple......doesn't have to be this ....it can be any type of fruit....cheese......meat.......just a toothpick hor' derves

these are great....

I love the swimming pool....could fill it with ice and beer....too cool.

and the buckets and shovels for jello and salads.....yes yes yes....that is a definate....off to the dollar store to find some....yippee.

and the pineapple sound too cute with the cheese sticking out all over....

I am gonna have a ball with this..

thanks
cindy

Here's a dip idea:

SUN-DRIED TOMATO DIP

12 sun-dried tomatoes, packed in oil
1/8 tsp. ground pepper
7 oz jar of roasted red peppers, drained
1 clove garlic, minced
4 oz. cream cheese, softened & cubed
2 T chopped parsley
1/2 C sour cream
1 T lemon juice
1/4 tsp salt

Rinse and pat dry the tomatoes & peppers.
In a food processor fitted with a metal blade, combine the tomatoes, peppers, garlic, pepper, salt, and process until smooth. Add the cream cheese and sour cream. Process until smooth, scraping the sides of the container.
Serve immediately or chill until ready to serve. Serve with crackers or pita bread chips.

To make a palm tree out of a pepper and carrot.

One large carrot
One green pepper

Carrot - cut of top and bottom,with a sharp knife start at the bottom and make upward v cuts, alternating each row.

Pepper - core, then make jagged cuts along the open end. Make some longer than others.

attach the carrot to the pepper with a toothpick.

You could also slice a brown potato lenghtwise and use that under the carrot like a little island.

Arrange greens around the base of carrot.

I hope you are getting the visual on this. It isn't has hard as it sounds and looks really cute.

Here's a pork tenderloin recipe that looks interesting.

Grill Friday - George Foreman's Pork Tenderloin

Pork Tenderloin with Cranberry Glaze

World boxing champ and cookbook author GEORGE FOREMAN kicked off the 2001 edition of LIVE's Grill Fridays on 5/25/01 with his version of a fruit-glazed pork tenderloin. More of Big George's delicious dishes can be found in his new cookbook "George Foreman's Big book of Grilling, Barbecue and Rotisserie," published by Simon & Schuster (ISBN: 0743200926).

Ingredients:
2 pork tenderloins, about 10 oz. each
salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste
For Glaze:
1 cup whole cranberry sauce
1 large shallot, chopped
1 red jalapeno pepper, stemmed and partially seeded
1 Tbsp. fresh lemon juice
1/4 cup fruity red wine
2 tsp. ginger preserves, British import label
1 1/2 Tbsp. minced fresh rosemary, or 1 1/2 tsp. dried
1 Tbsp. canola oil
Tabasco to taste, if needed
rosemary sprigs for garnish

Method:
1) Rinse the tenderloins, pat dry, and season with salt and pepper.
2) Puree the glaze ingredients in a food processor. Pour into a microwave-safe bowl and reduce on high for 5 minutes. The glaze should be thick and syrupy. If it's too thin, put it back in the microwave in 1-minute increments. Should it become too thick, simply stir in a bit more wine. Taste for seasoning and adjust, if necessary. The glaze should be slightly tart and spicy. Remember that sweetness will predominate when it caramelizes on the grill, so you might want to start out on the tart side. Also, a glaze provides a glossy crust but does not permeate the meat. If you love spicy food, heat this up a bit more with Tabasco.
3) Cook the tenderloins on a medium-hot indoor or outdoor grill for 8 to 10 minutes, basting heavily with the glaze during the last 5 minutes. An instant-read thermometer should reach 150 degrees F for a pink interior.
4) Heat any remaining glaze. Slice the meat on the diagonal to serve and drizzle the glaze over the top. Garnish with rosemary sprigs. Serve with lightly buttered wild rice tossed with grilled shallots and petite peas.

Makes 4 servings
Nutritional breakdown, per serving: 385 calories; 33 g carbohydrates, 33 g protein, 13 g fat, 3 g saturated fat, 34% calories from fat, 97 mg cholesterol, 247 mg sodium

Pork tenderloin is great on the grill. I sometimes just marinade it and precook in in the microwave and finish on the grill

Thanks so much for the great ideas....and taking the time to type the recipes. If I dont use them now I will definately be trying them soon.

the carrot sounds too cute, and yes i could see it.....great minds think alike....lol!!My girlfriend is bringing the veggies, think I shall make one for her plate......

Another neighbor is bringing Jamaican rum cake, if its as good as it sounds I shall share the recipe with you!!!

Thanks again everyone

cindy

We threw a luau for my mom when she turned 50..what fun!

1) Must have fun luau music - hit the party store for this. CD/Cassette has songs like Chubby Checker - Limbo Rock on it.
2) Ask everyone to come dressed tropical.
3) To make an inexpensive palm tree - go to a carpet store and ask them for the heavy cardboard roll that is in the center of the carpets when they are unrolled. They have these laying around and normally throw them out. Cut it to the height you like and paint it brown. For the palm leaves: get some green poster board and cut it in "palm leaf" shape. You can then staple the leaves to the top of the tree (carpet roll). They will hand over and down. Looks great!
4) Roast a pig! (Sorry, had to throw that in)
5) If it is outside, tiki torches are a nice touch and help with the bugs too!
6) Don't forget to use those cute toothpick umbrellas for the drinks!

I'll think of more....

Here's something I did once for a buffet table decoration
Standing Palm trees-

base- solid cutting board-that lays flat

take a med potato...cut in half on the longer bias

then lay 1/2 of the potato cut side down - using a sharp knife-in butterfly method- cut off or "level" an area of the highest part of the potato so as to form a flat surface on the side of the spud (towards the ceiling) of about 1-1 1/2" in diameter.

take a carrot of about 8"-12" in lenght-cut off squarely the thick end, and trim the root end at such a point that the diameter of the root end will be at least 1/4" a little more is better.

then take a green bell pepper cut the stem end off as closely as you can-while still cutting thur the wide flesh which surrounds the stem. Carefully deseed & remove the whites. Then invert the hollowed out "bowl" of the pepper so open end (stem end) is sitting on a cutting surface....with a sharp knife...cut 3-4 large triangles out of the pepper...being careful not to begin your cuts too far up the sides of the pepper - leave about 1" (depending on the fruit) from the center point of the bottom of the fruit (or the part now towards the ceiling). Once you have cut these triangles, carefully notch cut "V"'s into the remaining "legs" of the pepper - what you are doing is making the palm topper for your tree...so taking some time in making many notches will help to make this effect work well.

Back to carrot(s) do not peel...carefully while holding carrot vertically, turn carrot and cut notches downward arround the carrot, from top to bottom...you should try to only cut in a little, keep knife blade flat against carrot once you've cut thur outter skin....this gives the carrot skin a very similar texture to that of a real palm tree.

Assemble - using toothpicks, place 3-5 (depending on diameter & height) half way into the broad base of the carrot....put another 1-2 half way into the thin edge....put carrot base down onto the leveled trimed area of the potato....put pepper "palm topper" onto top of carrot.

I'd suggest making at least 3 of these-arrange on your base board- shred some lettuce or cabbage and arrange around your trees....it looks very much like palms trees growing out of rocks - I don't feel I've explained this to well, so if it's something you want to try, please feel free to ask me questions!

Good luck with your event! :)

I love them all, sending daughters to the library for music...

Buying carrots.....too cool....love the shredded lettuce around the base, you could lie veggies in it, or fruit kebobs.....

Can you believe I cant find sandbuckets....boo hoo!!! I live 2 minutes from the beach and no buckets to be found. Off to big lots this weekend to look there. I want them for my chips and pretzels. And I need to find a cheap wading pool for the beer.....

The reason we decided to have this luau is because my hubby just added on a screened in porch and I want to celebrate 2 months of very hard work...he did it all himself.....what a man!! This is his party to relax....of course the grill is his....LOL!!!

thanks again everyone....Your ideas are wonderful

A friend just told me last week that she made a delicious chicken kabob. She marinated chicken strips and skewered them with strawberries. She then fixed them on the grill. Said they were too yummy. Sounds like luau food to me. :D

Here are two fruit ideas that have worked great.

1. Quarter a whole pineapple lengthwise, right through the tops. Trim off the hard core on each piece. Now run a knife along the inside of the rind and then slice the fruit straight down into wedges - the rind serves as a plate. Warm up some caramel ice cream topping and serve so that guests can dip the pineapple.

2. Rinse whole strawberries. Set in a bowl along with a bowl of sour cream and a bowl of brown sugar. Guests dip the berries into sour cream, roll in the brown sugar and then rave about it!!!

Luaus are great fun. Enjoy.

Linda

I love this fruit dip, as well. It is so easy, and yummy enough that my kids always want to eat it with a spoon!

Mix a small jar of marshmallow creme with a box of softened cream cheese. Beat it by hand until well mixed. Serve with any fresh fruit and it will disappear fast!

What a creative bunch we have! Glad to see so many interesting ideas. I think I may have to have a luau inspired get together with some friends so I can put these ideas to good use.

It was a raving success.....we had 95degree weather to start off with so it felt like we were in ther tropics...yipppeee!!! I had tiki torches all around the pool and yard, loads of tiki decorations found at a local discount party store. The sweet and sour chicken was a massive success. I made coconut Rum and Pineapple drinks for the guests as they arrived and gave them leis... we played some island music and just ate and had a ball. Thanks to everyone who helped with their ideas and recipes....even one of my sons friends said..."hey this hawaiin party is going pretty well" (cody 7 years) so I know I did well.....

thanks everyone!!!

cindy

I was wondering if you found everything you needed.

So glad it turned out so well.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter