OK Experts: What's the biggest Disney mistake you have made?

We've been fortunate to be able to take an annual trip to disney the past 6 years. The biggest mistake we made was this past spring break. We decided to book the Swann and in doing so could not get the dining plan. Biggest mistake you can make if your staying onsite at disney is not getting the dining plan. We probably spent about $900 in 5 days for food (2 adults, 3 children). Not only that but we had to cut certain parts of the menu off (the expensive portions).

Here's a good one:

Our last trip we went during the YES program open enrollment with 7 day park hoppers. We saved over $100 per ticket for the 7 of us! HOWEVER>>>>>>

It snowed back home the day we were supposed to leave and our train was cancelled. I went to upgrade and add 2 days to our tickets. Ummmm, YES tickets cannot be altered. We had already moved to POP from OKW because we didn't have that kind of money to add days at OKW. And now we had no park tickets. I WAS LIVID! I really shouldn't have been, but when I spoke to the CM at Guest Services he was really rude and I ended up on the phone screaming at him. I spoke with his supervisor the next day and got free Disney Quest admission and one free day of park admission for our group, but I really shouldn't have been that nasty. Granted, I had received lots of misinformation from concierge and Guest Services at both resorts, as well as CM's on the phone, but still.

THEN I came on the boards to rant and got FLAMED!!!! People said that I had and entitlement mentality, and I really didn't, I was just peeved about the customer service.

At any rate, this year we are getting 10 day YES tickets, just to be sure. It's an extra $6 a ticket, I think it's worth it! ;)

Just back!! Mistake this year....don't believe the weather forecast too far out!
Predicted was cooler temps then into the high 70's towards the end of our trip!
It was FREEZING!! We wore shorts 2 days, of our 9 day trip. We ended up buying sweatshirts and scarves. We are from MN and use to cold....damp cold goes right through you though!! We wore our winter coats, gloves, hats, scarves a solid 4 days there! Record cold one morning at 23!! :scared1:
You def. can't predidct the weather! We however do have the memory of going on splash mtn over and over with no wait-in our winter attire! :goodvibes
Jen

First sorry for some of the aggrevation some of you guys encountered. Second, I am enjoying this thread.popcorn:: You guys have brought up some things I had not considered and I have come up w/ some just in case scenerio solutions. So thanks guys for this thread :thumbsup2

2007: One mistake was to drive our car to MK instead of riding the bus. It is much worse WALKING around the parking lot with three kids whining and your feet are tired, than STANDING in line waiting on a bus :)

2009: Make sure when using the bus at your resort, that you recall WHICH bus stop you got on at. First day dor DH and I's anniversary, we went to Narcoossee's and got back really late. We got off at the bus stop on the wrong side of the resort... which was CSR and a very long walk back to our room.

Trip 1 - Not using fast passes. We went for a 1 day trip in July one year to MK because we were in the area. I had done no prior planning and didn't know what Fast Pass was. DH and I both thought you had to pay extra so we didn't bother with them. Sure would have saved a lot of wait time if we had just asked a CM to explain the process.

Trip 2 - Getting stuck on the wrong side of the street during the AK parade. DS decided he wanted to skip the parade and ride EE one more time before close. We were trapped near Safari and couldn't get across. Had to wait for the entire parade to pass by both directions. By the time we hurried to EE the park was closed.

Trip 3 - Left a ticket at the Fast Pass machine. Didn't even notice we were one ticket short until the next morning when we arrived at a different park. We were staying off property so the tickets were not the KTTW. Luckily the #s on the paper tickets were sequential and Guest Services was able to print us a new ticket.

My three biggest mistakes:
1)Not waking up early and thinking i could arrive at the parks and just casually do everything.No;)
2)Not making any dining reservations.
3) Not planning ahead.

My biggest mistake was completely skipping Animal Kingdom on my first trip in 2000. Instead, we went to Hollywood Studios three times! (It was my favorite.) I figured AK was just a big zoo, and wasn't terribly interested. I suspect many visitors make the same mistake.

We also only gave EPCOT one day, which I immediately regretted, having enjoyed it much more than I thought. Now that I'm planning another trip, I realize that there was way more to EPCOT than the World Showcase ... we never did any of the rides the first time! Planning at two solid days this time around.

We have 10 days in WDW this time, so we're going to make the most of it. We're going to try to cram in a trip to Universal Studios too. We're a little nuts for Harry Potter.

My biggest mistake was making reservations at downtown disney resteraunts 2 nights of our 7 day trip. It was hard to have to leave the parks on those days to get to 5:00 reservations ,even with taking a cab instead of the busses.

On our first family trip in '96, I did little to no research. We (unknown to us) entered the MK at about 9:15 am on an early entry day, & then stayed all day. "Where did all these people come from?", I wondered. I know we waited in line for Splash about two hours. Then, to top it all off, we tried to leave during the evening parade. :eek:

Forgot one other big mistake I made on my first trip.

Coming from Seattle, we're used to the rain. We rarely carry umbrellas, because the rain is usually light, and because you can't predict when you'll get hit in a freak cloud burst. (To top it off, I live in an area called "The Puget Sound Convergence Zone." I'll spare you the details, but suffice it to say that the weather here is ... weird.)

So on my first trip to WDW, we're walking down one of the streets in Hollywood Studios, and it suddenly starts to rain. People are diving under awnings, buying overpriced ponchos, and we just start to laugh. People are looking at us like we're crazy. We've seen WAY worse in Seattle, we'd say. Five minutes later, the sun is shining and we're pretty proud of ourselves.

What we didn't know is that the humidity is way higher in Florida than in Washington. Sure, we only got a little wet. But HOURS later, we were STILL a little wet.

Lesson Learned: Bring a poncho (from home), and don't underestimate how long it will take to dry off. A drawstring bag with a lightweight change of clothes is a must in the summer. And Gold Bond is helpful for "chafey" areas.

* booking an early breakfast the day after a 2am EMH at the MK

* booking a character breakfast before the waterpark (when i didn't wear makeup for pictures)

* going to lecellier as a 2nd chance after having a HORRIBLE first experience. well this time around it was even worse. that will be a never again--ever ever.

1. Booking two all-you-can-eat buffet ADR's on back to back days (Boma and Tuskerhouse). No human being should ever eat that much food! We learned our lesson and now make sure that any all-you-can-eat meals are spread out with at least two days in between them.

2. Deciding we didn't need our backpack full of stuff just to walk around our resort at Port Orleans Riverside. It a BIG place. We randomly decided to buy something and didn't have a wallet. DH had to walk all the way back to our room and get the wallet. But he didn't bring the whole backpack, and shortly after we saw a picture we really wanted to take. DH had to walk all the way back to our room AGAIN!! This time he was ticked off and brought the whole backpack. Since then, saying "Eh, we don't need it" is against the rules :laughing:

3. Wearing new shoes in the parks. OUCH!

4. Expecting our 6 and 4 year old girls to fall on the ground in thanksgiving to us for being such generous parents to bring them to Disney World! No. They don't understand what it took to get them there, and they can't be expected to understand. When they get older, they'll understand how fortunate our family was, and be thankful. And I shall graciously accept their words of undying love and gratitude. :rolleyes1 Until then, I just have to accept that they don't understand what the heck $3,000 actually is. And they will whine and get a few cases of the "gimmies" in Disney World just like they would anywhere else. I've learned the hard way to just say no and let them pout until they decide pouting isn't very fun and let's get back to having fun in Disney World!

Most people will probably ream me out on this one.

On our last visit we never used cash or credit cards, so on our last night we didn't bring anything but our KTTW. Of course that night the systems were down and we couldn't use our KTTW (let alone our dining plan.) When we went to guest services to complain that we weren't made aware of this and that we would miss our ADR (and it being our last night not be able to buy anything we wanted that trip) they told us that we should have had a back up card, just in case.

Not going to make that mistake again!

My biggest Disney mistake may be reading this thread! I'm scared now! I've never been there yet- my mother is taking the whole family (Mom, Dad, me, my 3 kids (17, 17, and 10), my middle sister, her husband, her 10 yo dau., and my youngest sis (27).

I'm not one of those people who can expect to go back every year after this. We're not well-off people, and we're sort of looking at this as a once in a lifetime thing. The only reason we're going now is that my mother is using part of her lump sum retirement to take all of us.

I'm now just envisioning all the waiting in line for transportation while continuing to debate whether we could walk there faster, all the discussion about who wants to do what, gambling on when to leave to make it to an ADR, running to try to get a fastpass and missing it, cranky tired kids, and how you balance the line between 'don't carry a purse' and 'carry everything you could possibly need, Just In Case!' That and 'don't overplan, but do your homework, research everything, etc.'

It's not until late May and reading all this stuff, I almost dread it! :( That's not how it's supposed to be, right?

come on Griswold!

you are on your way to the greatest vacation.

when we describe mistakes, they are more just self inflicted ah schucks! moments.

dont forget if anything is going wrong for you, dont be afraid to ask for some help from the excellent Disney people (C.M.s).

They are the best part of the whole experience, and the few bad experiences I have had at Disney were usually surprisingly turned around by the great people that make the true magic at Disney

ah, now lets all sing "when you wish upon a star"

I hope your trip is as great as i think it will be.

lol! Thanks, lugnut. I have a bad habit of worrying too much. I just know how my family is. We really are like the Griswolds! Everything crazy happens to us. But the negative moment has passed and I am looking forward to it- it's just overwhelming trying to find that balance between being well-prepared and overplanned.

Many mistakes but the biggest was not realizing how long it would take to pack up!
Last morning, I totally didn't think packing would be so complicated and the kids kept wanting to take things back out. DH took them to the pool so I could pack. Ended up being a crazy rush to the ME.
Next trip I packed almost everything the night before!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter