Ok, Does Anybody Know The Rules Now???

sean.anita

Earning My Ears
We had a booking for May that we went back and forth on but have decided to go. YAAAAY.... But, we have no idea what the rules are for driving back and forth across the border. We're flying out of Buffalo on Southwest so I'm guessing that it'll be masks on the plane. What are the rules at WDW right now? We don't think we're going to do any parks, just poolside, dinner at the resorts and then Disney Springs in the evening for cocktails. Do we need to wear masks while walking around Disney Springs? It looks like we can get tested at Orlando airport. Is that the best place to do it?? Maybe it be better to get tested in Buffalo?? I'm sure there are a bunch more questions I'm not thinking of. JUst hoping someone that's gone can lend there experience...

From Disney website:

Face coverings are optional for fully vaccinated Guests in both outdoor and indoor locations. We expect Guests who are not fully vaccinated to continue wearing face coverings in all indoor locations, including indoor attractions and theaters. Face coverings are still required by all Guests (ages 2 and up) on enclosed Disney transportation, including Disney buses, monorails, and Disney Skyliner.

We had a booking for May that we went back and forth on but have decided to go. YAAAAY.... But, we have no idea what the rules are for driving back and forth across the border. We're flying out of Buffalo on Southwest so I'm guessing that it'll be masks on the plane. What are the rules at WDW right now? We don't think we're going to do any parks, just poolside, dinner at the resorts and then Disney Springs in the evening for cocktails. Do we need to wear masks while walking around Disney Springs? It looks like we can get tested at Orlando airport. Is that the best place to do it?? Maybe it be better to get tested in Buffalo?? I'm sure there are a bunch more questions I'm not thinking of. JUst hoping someone that's gone can lend there experience...

We were just there. You are not required to wear masks anywhere in Disney except on transportation. Even then not everyone was wearing them properly and nobody says anything.

We were just there and flew from Buffalo on Southwest. You need proof of vax to cross the border, been over twice in the last 6 weeks and they didn't ask to see it. You need masks in the airport and on the plane. People are very good with it. No masks requirement for vaxed at Disney or Disney springs right now but you will see people wearing masks indoors. Each trip we have done the free NAAT tests Rapid ID now at Walgreens through the drive thru. If we were going back now with the new rapid test option, I would probably just order the switch health ones 2 for $79 take them with me and just do them in the hotel room. No hassle of making appointments, doing uber drive thru tests etc. HOWEVER, I truly believe that this return testing will be gone by May. But if it wasn't, this is what I would do. You just show them the result on your phone. both times the border person barely glanced at it, but you have to attest that you have it when you do your Arrive Can.

question for those who drove back, have you heard anything about what would happen if you test positive on the rapid test? I have heard that if you have a quarantine plan they will allow you back into Canada even though you tested positive. We are driving from BC in May to Disneyland

question for those who drove back, have you heard anything about what would happen if you test positive on the rapid test? I have heard that if you have a quarantine plan they will allow you back into Canada even though you tested positive. We are driving from BC in May to Disneyland

My husband drove back last night and specifically asked at the border what would happen if they had a positive test. The border agent said it wouldn't matter as long as you had a good quarantine plan.

My nephew just did the same thing in January. You should fly to Buffalo and then test there if you still need to test by then. If you test in Florida and are positive you won't be able to board your flight and make it back to Buffalo. Driving across the boarder with a positive Covid test seems to be OK as long as you have an isolation plan.

My nephew just did the same thing in January. You should fly to Buffalo and then test there if you still need to test by then. If you test in Florida and are positive you won't be able to board your flight and make it back to Buffalo. Driving across the boarder with a positive Covid test seems to be OK as long as you have an isolation plan.
That's not true. you don't need to test to fly domestically within the usa. So you could test positive and fly...I wouldn't but just saying.

That's not true. you don't need to test to fly domestically within the usa. So you could test positive and fly...I wouldn't but just saying.

You don't NEED to test but the CDC says you should not travel if you tested positive.

https://www.cdc.gov/coronavirus/2019-ncov/travelers/travel-during-covid19.html
Do NOT travel if…

• You are sick, even if you recovered from COVID-19 within the past 90 days or are up to date with your COVID-19 vaccines.
  • You tested positivefor COVID-19.
    • Do not travel until a full 10 days after your symptoms started or the date your positive test was taken if you had no symptoms.
  • You are waiting for results of a COVID-19 test.
  • You had close contact with a person with COVID-19 and are recommended to quarantine.
    • Do not travel until a full 5 days after your last close contact with the person with COVID-19. It is best to avoid travel for a full 10 days after your last exposure.
    • If you must travel during days 6 through 10 after your last exposure:
      • Get tested at least 5 days after your last close contact. Make sure your test result is negative and you remain without symptoms before traveling. If you don’t get tested, avoid travel until a full 10 days after your last close contact with a person with COVID-19.
      • Properly wear a well-fitting mask when you are around others for the entire duration of travel during days 6 through 10. If you are unable to wear a mask, you should not travel during days 6 through 10.

You don't NEED to test but the CDC says you should not travel if you tested positive.

https://www.cdc.gov/coronavirus/2019-ncov/travelers/travel-during-covid19.html
Do NOT travel if…

• You are sick, even if you recovered from COVID-19 within the past 90 days or are up to date with your COVID-19 vaccines.
  • You tested positivefor COVID-19.
    • Do not travel until a full 10 days after your symptoms started or the date your positive test was taken if you had no symptoms.
  • You are waiting for results of a COVID-19 test.
  • You had close contact with a person with COVID-19 and are recommended to quarantine.
    • Do not travel until a full 5 days after your last close contact with the person with COVID-19. It is best to avoid travel for a full 10 days after your last exposure.
    • If you must travel during days 6 through 10 after your last exposure:
      • Get tested at least 5 days after your last close contact. Make sure your test result is negative and you remain without symptoms before traveling. If you don’t get tested, avoid travel until a full 10 days after your last close contact with a person with COVID-19.
      • Properly wear a well-fitting mask when you are around others for the entire duration of travel during days 6 through 10. If you are unable to wear a mask, you should not travel during days 6 through 10.
Well yes I wouldn't travel if I was positive..and was just commenting that you could.

My husband drove back last night and specifically asked at the border what would happen if they had a positive test. The border agent said it wouldn't matter as long as you had a good quarantine plan.
This makes the most sense ... I would like to see the government website updated to say "if you have a positive test, you can drive back into Canada as long as your Quarantine plan is solid." That would basically take away 99.9% of the stress I'm having over my upcoming May trip.

I cancelled our March Break trip to Florida today because of the chance of testing positive and the monetary implications. We can not afford to miss work and my kids miss school for the 10 day isolation requirements should you test positive. I checked the Canadian Government website and it still maintains the 10 day isolation period if you test positive. Yet in Ontario, if you are fully vaccinated, and you get COVID, you only have to isolate for 5 days. The returning to Canada rules makes no sense.

I cancelled our March Break trip to Florida today because of the chance of testing positive and the monetary implications. We can not afford to miss work and my kids miss school for the 10 day isolation requirements should you test positive. I checked the Canadian Government website and it still maintains the 10 day isolation period if you test positive. Yet in Ontario, if you are fully vaccinated, and you get COVID, you only have to isolate for 5 days. The returning to Canada rules makes no sense.
It is so frustrating that federal, provincial, and municipal rules don’t match 😡

It is so frustrating that federal, provincial, and municipal rules don’t match 😡
Totally agree.Also, the health minister said the pre-arrival test is still needed as you are in close quarters with people on the plane. Ok. fine. Why is it needed if driving in your own car across the boarder? In the very least they should allow Covid positive passengers to cross by land as long as no symptoms and with a quarantine plan. Which should match the province rules. It’s all so messed up. I couldn’t believe when they announced the change to the type of pre arrival test as if was a huge relief. Not really…

Totally agree.Also, the health minister said the pre-arrival test is still needed as you are in close quarters with people on the plane. Ok. fine. Why is it needed if driving in your own car across the boarder? In the very least they should allow Covid positive passengers to cross by land as long as no symptoms and with a quarantine plan. Which should match the province rules. It’s all so messed up. I couldn’t believe when they announced the change to the type of pre arrival test as if was a huge relief. Not really…
I totally agree. In some cases it made it harder because we now have less time to get it. For me I'm flying at the end of the month and I am still planning on getting a NAAT Test. That way I have a couple of days to activate my quarantine plan.

Last edited:
I totally agree. In some cases it made it harder because we now have less time to get it. For me I'm flying at the end of the month and I am still planning on getting a NAAT Test. That way I have a couple off days to activate my quarantine plan.
We are going on a cruise Easter week, then few days at WDW afterwards. We will also try to do the NAAT or PCR test 72 hrs ahead of coming home. Waiting til the day before to do the antigen test will just add to our stress.
The change to testing is really only making a difference for those travelling to places where PCR is difficult to obtain and very expensive. In Florida it makes little difference.

Last edited:
I agree...it's frustrating. We are going on a cruise out of New York for March break, are driving there and have quarantine insurance in the case one of us test positive. It still seems like mixed messages though. From the website, it looks like we most likely will be charged if we return as it doesn't say "unless we have a quarantine plan". Or is it just a scare? Don't know what we'll do if someone does test positive...prob get a place (bringing school and work laptops). But what is frustrating is... if we test positive, do we run out and get a PCR test in case the antigen test keeps showing positive? DH is adamant that antigen will go negative after a few days but I've heard not always the case. I agree as well that it's much better for everyone if we could drive home rather than taking the chance spreading stuff to hotel staff, etc.

What are others plans? Are you going to drive home or quarantine? (Depends too where you are going and where you live). We have Disney planned for August and pray the testing is stopped by then.

I agree...it's frustrating. We are going on a cruise out of New York for March break, are driving there and have quarantine insurance in the case one of us test positive. It still seems like mixed messages though. From the website, it looks like we most likely will be charged if we return as it doesn't say "unless we have a quarantine plan". Or is it just a scare? Don't know what we'll do if someone does test positive...prob get a place (bringing school and work laptops). But what is frustrating is... if we test positive, do we run out and get a PCR test in case the antigen test keeps showing positive? DH is adamant that antigen will go negative after a few days but I've heard not always the case. I agree as well that it's much better for everyone if we could drive home rather than taking the chance spreading stuff to hotel staff, etc.

What are others plans? Are you going to drive home or quarantine? (Depends too where you are going and where you live). We have Disney planned for August and pray the testing is stopped by then.
I'm praying testing is stopped by the end of this month. 🤞

Last edited:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter