***OI Meetup*** Feb 23-24, 2024

Very tempted to try this - been wanting to do one of the OI meetups, seems like Mardi Gras would be a good one to do.
I assume there will be themed food and entertainment they have not announced yet.

With an AP though it almost seems like its not worth it. If I did not have an AP it would be a much easier decision.

Do all the busses run later based on this event? I assume so but should ask.

Very tempted to try this - been wanting to do one of the OI meetups, seems like Mardi Gras would be a good one to do.
I assume there will be themed food and entertainment they have not announced yet.

With an AP though it almost seems like its not worth it. If I did not have an AP it would be a much easier decision.

Buses must still be running. i stayed at CBBR last time and honestly don't remember.

Don't think extra entertainment, but for food just got an email -

NEW ITEMS ANNOUNCED: Sample your way around the globe! For the first time ever, we’re adding new seasonal items straight from Universal Mardi Gras: International Flavors of Carnaval to our unlimited food menu this February!
ADKq_NbjGLvrw6m8gk6qtc3IWxbdnZSCWmMNgYB4w6B2M0deaEOuB1ErntIJVSYj0g3bgBHdnNlH0wAObTqEJBMTF0s9tsaRS_K4XvP-nD6g3LcZMsZBgf-gqZTprEame4HeRbVSF0Rgd5D3kd8mtZQcwulq6Wf5zIgjdlg=s0-d-e1-ft
The upgrades don’t stop there! All new this February:
  • The foodie fun begins when you arrive – Grab a bite after picking up your credentials in our check-in area!

• A brand-new dessert location Snag a brownie, lemon bar, cookie,

DO IT! lol I am not the one to say don't do it haha, but I can understand your concern. Are you local and go often? It might not be, even though we aren't local and have AP's, we still find the meetups worth it as far as empty parks, walk on rides, the atmosphere is just different and then specialty events (like the speakeasy), drinks or food that is sometimes not available to the general public.

Entertainment- sometimes they have different things going on, one year they had Dino-rappers (I think that was what they were called) they have a mobile dj's at time, the last June meetup had a "zombie" themed venue that served speciality drinks and had various character entertainment, so things like that. We don't always know until closer to time. You can catch a bus ( or boat if I recall if they are avail" to your hotel at the end of the event.

I also like there is a path between the two parks that are open, so you can easily switch parks without having to leave and this year there is a dessert lounge between them. This coming meetup is our 5th one, we have done several June events, one Nov, this is our first Feb one and we are excited :) I would say to try maybe one night, I think Sat will be busier due to the concert, so maybe you want to do Fri if you have no interest in the concert performance.

Taylor dropped the Meetup shirts yesterday for those who may be interested :)

Just 27 more days until night 1 of the meetup :)

Taylor dropped the Meetup shirts yesterday for those who may be interested :)

Just 27 more days until night 1 of the meetup :)
Would be interested in a review if you go tonight. Quite windy and a little dark out there right now. I’m going to the Saturday one.

Would be interested in a review if you go tonight. Quite windy and a little dark out there right now. I’m going to the Saturday one.
I'm in USF right now. The wind has caused Rip Ride to shut down but other than that it's not too bad out here. I did bring a hoodie as it's going to get chilly tonight.

Absolutely zero lines for the Mardi Gras booths so if you want any snacks that aren't offered during the meet up now is a good time.

I'm in USF right now. The wind has caused Rip Ride to shut down but other than that it's not too bad out here. I did bring a hoodie as it's going to get chilly tonight.

Absolutely zero lines for the Mardi Gras booths so if you want any snacks that aren't offered during the meet up now is a good time.
Hello! We went to Studios around 3 pm yesterday until 11:30 pm, I was exhausted from not sleeping the night before, so we headed back an hour early lol my oldest stayed and hopped over to IOA for the last hour.

It was windy for sure all day, it did rain for an hour or so when the parks first closed, but not torrential rain. When we got there at 3, we went straight to the food booths, our purpose for going early.

We had:
Tacos and Nachos from Mexico
Pork Slider and 2 diff flavored twisted taters from coca cola market square
Butterfly Drink from Thailand
Pina Colada from Puerto Rico
Biscoff Cookie Waffle from Belgium
Pandan Cheesecake and Lumpia from Phillipines
Banana Fosters Crepe from France
Candied Bacon and Onion Poutine from Canada
- all this before the meetup. The only crazy lines we saw at that time was the crepe stand. We literally jumped in line 2 mins before the park closed and got the crepe last minute. There were 2 people in front of us at that time, went fast.

During the meetup, we only grabbed a potsticker from China. There was a long line every time we walked by. Sadly they were only giving 1 per person. My dd asked for 2, she was going to get one for her dad they said no. 🤷🏼‍♀️ We meant to grab some beignets but forgot and was full! We snacked on pretzels, churros, had richters and were stuffed. I had so much I did not even have a butterbeer last night 😭😭😭😭😭

We watched the parade, it was neat and got plenty of beads. People staked out spots 1.5 hrs early. Some people were throwing many, some threw a couple in each section. I prob got hit a few times in the face lol hard to see some of the lighter colored ones. Performers were fantastic! If you want to really see them, be sure to be on the front of the sidewalk. The stilt walkers were out earlier but not during the parade, prob too windy. We were right in front of labamba where the parade begins, good spot and we saw everything twice. When the floats made it back around to the end, most were out of beads, so it that is important to you, go to the beginning of the route somewhere.

We had a good time even in the rain, and are looking forward to hitting IOA tonight and then swinging over to USF for last minute treats from the food booths.

Happy Sunday friends!

Whew, we had a whirlwind 2 days at the parks for the meetup and had a blast! We had a great second night, the weather was perfect, a little chilly but tolerable if you kept busy. We rode all that we wanted, ate some delicious foods, yummy drinks, and just really enjoyed everything.

I have been wanting to ride Hagrids for years now, but sadly weighed too much. I lost 30lbs the last year and finally got the green light!! I rode for the first time last night during the meetup (45 min wait) and wow!! Intense, fun, and thrilling!! I laughed and screamed so much lol I cannot wait to do it again! I hope in Nov to ride the other coasters, especially Velocicoaster.

We are on the way back home now, but will come back and do a big review later this week. 😬

I had a good night also, walked about 30,000 steps yesterday. Rode everything I wanted and enjoyed the food (the pre-event snacks not so much). Glad you got on Hagrids. Rip Ride Rockit was closed for high winds when I tried around 6 PM, so I went back late this afternoon to ride it.

Got a late start today, wandered over to Volcano Bay about 12:30. Temp was only mid-70’s and there was a light breeze, maybe why the place was pretty empty and everything was Ride Now. Gorgeous sunny day, great place to spend a few hours, and so convenient from CBBR.

Anyone go ahead and buy their June Meetup tickets while there? I didn't get to go to but am going to the June Meetup. Also hoping to get two Aventura rooms at the discounted rate.

Just got back from my trip and I did two night with the meetup.

I have mixed feeling about it, also for context I have an AP so its a bit pricey for someone who already has tickets IMO.
They night you go can also make a big difference.

IF I did not have an AP I would say its well worth it. You get into the parks at 5PM until the late closing and you get the food etc.. The park is very empty and no issues at all with rides. I was mostly there to try the foods and just see what its like.

The food was hit or miss. The passed Hors-d'Oeuvres were a bit iffy as there were folks just pouncing on the servers and taking everything the second they came out of the kitchen. It was tough to get anything good. The servers tried their best, I saw one try to do a run down the sideline to get out into the crowd, but they stopped him.
No issues getting the soft pretzels (there were not good at all) or the nachos with cheese, but the better stuff like the spring roll was really tough. I watched one server come out with a try of them and about 20 people rushed them, it looked like the Anchovies in sponge bob in a feeding frenzy. The people standing next to me just looked at me and we all laughed and they said "Did we just see that?" It was really bizarre.

As for the food at park close at the couple of venues that open, I went to the Simpsons area and people were lining about about 10 minutes before hand. The Chicken and Waffles and Seafood took the longest. It was really bad Saturday night and you should plan a full hour for that. A lot depends on how slow the employee is working. A universal employee was behind me testing the line and could not understand why it was so slow until we got to the food and the employee was very slowly counting out the pieces. I suspect this was malicious compliance with the manager as the night before the women working there was just throwing a bit of everything into the plate and it was only slowed by her running out of an item. Saturday he was counting one piece at a time and making one bait bucket at tine - he could have been doing several no doubt. BTW - I was surprised that the food at the fish place was really good. The chicken and waffle not so much.

I am sure this will be fixed for next time but be aware - maybe they will just go back to gift cards - many people were not thrilled with the way this went as the felt they wasted an hour of time they could be doing rides.

Id also say skip anything that is set up as a buffet. The food at the Finnigan's was not worth my time. I was also looking forward to Circus McGurkus and the new menu, but it was all buffet style and not particularly fresh. So a big disappointment there.

I probably wont do this again unless I am going with friends that don't already have tickets.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter