'Ohanas was TERRIBLE!!!

leopardspot

Mouseketeer
I can NOT undewrstand all the good reviews this place gets. I found it to be VERY smokey and very crowded. The smell of the food cooking made us feel sick. It was just not a good experience at all.

I have been to Ohana's twice and look forward to going back again. Everybody is different in their experiences and expectations. One thing to keep in mind about the crowded factor is that if it was never crowded, it wouldn't be there.

I'm sorry you did not enjoy your experience at 'Ohanas. We were there about 10 days ago and once again enjoyed our time and meal. We did not notice any problem with the smoke. Can you tell me where your table was located? I guess if you were located near where they cook the meat it could be a problem.

I guess you don't like the good smell of a b.b.q:D I've never noticed any smoke inside the restaurant. I love the smell of food cooking on a grill. It kind of lifts me off the ground and I float toward it like on the cartoons:teeth:

LOVED IT! But I am a happy girl just to be in Disney so very few things get me down!:tongue:

I'd like to hear more about your experience, Leopardspot. I wasn't crazy about my meal at 'Ohana's either. I didn't hate it, but the food - shrimp, meats, everything in essence - tasted the same.

Hey, sorry you didn't enjoy `Ohana's. I love that place. It is unbelievable. I would still recommend it. Sorry you didn't like it. We are all different.

I would have to agree, we have been there twice on different visits and both times we didn't think it was anything special.

We tried it a second time because we had heard a lot of good reviews, but the food was just so so....all tasted pretty much the same. We found it expensive for the quality,and service was just ok the first time and down right horrible the second.

We've tried it and won't go back. My 12 yo DS asked to not go there, didn't like it, didn't want to go back, and he's not picky.

I'm glad many of you had good experiences, but we're not including O'hanas on our next trip.

Wow - my girls and I are extremely sensitive to smoky smells (asthma and allergies x3!) and we love O'Hana. We have always had great service and wonderfull food - its the one place I know my dd's will get a great meal.

Come to think of it the again the "smoky smells at AKL or WL" don't bother us either.

TJ

I wonder if there was some sort of malfunction with their exhaust fans the night the OP was there...?
We have eaten at ohanas MANY times and we like it. I agree the meats all have a similar taste (wood fire) but they each taste different depending on the sauce you dip into. In fact, a good server will explain to you which sauce is best for which meat. For example, the fruit sauce is best on the pork, and the cilantro thingy is best on the steak. The peanut is pretty good on eveything, lol, but best on the turkey. If you stick to the "right" sauce for only one meat at a time, you will enjoy the tastes more. Ask your server about the sauces.
Oh, I agree, the service can be so-so here on occasion too--we've had some hit and miss with that.
Still, we will always go back. It's not really "fine dining" like you expect from a "deluxe" resort, it's family dining--but it is still very very yummy! (and convenient for us since we like to stay at the Poly)
Aloha!

Poor you! We love O'hana's and always make a point to go there on our trips. I'm sorry you didn't enjoy your experience.

I agree that the service is hit or miss. We've either had a really good server or a horrible server. I feel that the server makes the experience. We enjoy the food, since my husband loves meat but loves the shrimp even more. We make a PS for Ohanas every trip.

Oh, leopardspot, that is really too bad!:( We love Ohana, but I understand how you feel - everybody raves over Akershus, but DD and I tried it our last trip and weren't thrilled. The food was fresh, and there were a few things we really liked, but overall we have others we like much better.

To each his own, right?!:wave:

I felt the same way after we did the character breakfast there in 2001. The character interaction and service were great, but the food was so bland. The only thing we enjoyed was the bacon and bread.(I think it's called monkey bread)

We going to give the dinner a try next week. If we enjoy it, then I'd be willing to give the breakfast another try.

Did you go for breakfast or for dinner? we went for dinner on NYE and fell in love with the place. We're making it a must do every trip

That is too bad. I love it for both breakfast and dinner! You will find your favorite, keep on eating.:earsboy:

We ate there on 3/24 and thought the food and activities were great, however, we felt very rushed. We had PS for 6:50 pm and it was very crowded with people trying to get in without PS. They were literally trying to take the plates from under us when we were still eating!!! And it wasn't like we ate a lot or were there a long time either! The only person who took second helpings of anything was my DH. The food was great but people shouldn't have to feel like they should be out of the restaurant in 1 hour....maybe that's what they expect the turnover rate should be.

We thought the food was just okay. We actually had very good service. Pretty dry on the meats. Smell did not bother us. Kids had fun with coconut races, etc. but they didn't last too long. The desserts were good. Had much more fun at Whispering Canyon - there really is no comparison between the two. Don't think we'll bother with Ohana unless we are staying at the Poly sometime.

We also enjoy 'Ohana every once in a while, but must agree about feeling rushed. I always end up eating next to nothing because I have no time in between"courses." My fiance has even asked for the pace to be slowed down some, but it didn't matter. I think that the demand for the restaurant is so great that they try to get people in and out. The food is very good and we usually have excellent servers.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter