• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

O'hana with mango allergy?

KateDrake

DIS Veteran
Hey all!
This may sound like an odd question, but is there an alternative to the mango-poppyseed salad dressing at O'hana?

My mom has a severe mango allergy, which, let's be honest, if you have to have a food allergy is a pretty good one to have. Normally it's not an issue at all. And it probably won't be this time even if there is no alternative, she can just avoid the salad if necessary. But it would be nice for her to have the option of another dressing if possible.

This will be our first time at O'hana, and I don't see anything else that obviously has mangos, is there anything else she should watch out for?

If you tell your server when you arrive I'm sure they will sort something else out. When we ate there last year my DD didn't like any of the marinades on the meat after she tried them all. I mentioned this to our server and the chef very kindly cooked her her own (smaller) skewer of each type of meat totally plain, that wasn't for an allergy just a fussy eater lol for an allergy they will be just as accommodating. Hope you have a great meal xx

I can vouch as someone with a shellfish allergy that disney si THE BEST at accomodating ANY AND ALL allergies!!

So, i rarely can eat chinese food, but the folks at Yak and Yeti always make a special sauce for me with out the oyster ingredients so I can eat the lo mein. It's always wonderful and I never react. My allergy is so severe that I have to carry an epi pen and I've never had a single problem at disney.

I've been to ohana with my shellfish allergy and they won't even serve you bread without the chef talking to you. I was concerned because there is plenty of shrimp in that place but they did a fab job of making my food never came near a shrimp!

Just let them know about your allergy when you're seated and they will take care of the rest.

I took my grandmother to Kona Cafe for Mother's Day a couple years ago; she has a mango allergy and is gluten intolerant. She was surprised she had so many options. The chef made her a teriyaki steak and a coleslaw looking side. I'm not sure what it was but she loved it. O'hanas is right next to Kona Cafe and the two restaurants easily move food between them.

Personally, I love O'hanas. I can't have gluten, dairy, mustard, soy, tapioca, seafood, alcohol, or any form of artificial sweeteners. I left O'hanas completely stuffed. There was nothing on the regular menu that ended up being safe for me so the chef made me wings with a different sauce and a HUGE plate of broccoli beef and sticky rice.

I wouldn't worry about too much about an allergy at any restaurant at the Poly. I've never had a bad meal there.

They still have the honey lime dressing at Kona Café, and will bring it instead if you ask.

I can vouch as someone with a shellfish allergy that disney si THE BEST at accomodating ANY AND ALL allergies!!

So, i rarely can eat chinese food, but the folks at Yak and Yeti always make a special sauce for me with out the oyster ingredients so I can eat the lo mein. It's always wonderful and I never react. My allergy is so severe that I have to carry an epi pen and I've never had a single problem at disney.

I've been to ohana with my shellfish allergy and they won't even serve you bread without the chef talking to you. I was concerned because there is plenty of shrimp in that place but they did a fab job of making my food never came near a shrimp!

Just let them know about your allergy when you're seated and they will take care of the rest.

Yes! DH has Celiacs and can't have gluten. WDW is the only place we can both rest easy.

Mango is one of mine- and sometimes it is a hidden ingredient. I have very , very good luck as Disney and the chefs can do amazing things with small changes.
as others said,
you will not be served anything without the chef talking to you, all will be well.

Enjoy!:goodvibes

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter