Ohana Review

'Ohana is our absolute favorite restaurant on property. Can't wait to go back there this fall.

We last visited Ohana in 2014, and since then have read some awful reviews. I remember really enjoying both the food and atmosphere. I am glad to see an upbeat positive review from the DIS team on this one! We have ADR for this coming June and we are highly looking forward to it.

Like so many of the 'all you care to enjoy' restaurants in Disney, I think a lot has to do with the party you go with and the time you go. In a group of 6-8 people, I think you get better service and more interaction. If you have an earlier seating I feel you get a better quality of food.

When it is only my wife and I, it seems we are either rushed or passed over. This happens at Ohana, Garden Grill, Whispering Canyon, ect. It's generally 'here's your lump of food, I'll be back eventually'. When we travel as just a couple I prefer buffet style where I am not reliant on the service.

Ohana was the first place to turn me on to bread pudding. Since then very few places have lived up to that standard. I have had the same experience that @DisneyKevin mentioned though, where the meat bringer comes out and, no matter how you want your meat done, thats how the next piece on the the tongs was cooked. Medium rare...that's this one... well done, sure that's the one right after.

Why would I need a clean plate when I have a perfectly good one filled with chicken bones covering half of it? Why should I mind making an ADR 6 months out only to wait 45 minutes to be seated? In short, the hype is huge and the reality is flaccid. There is so much to expect when you pay these prices, but I think Disney feels that if you don't go someone else will (see Tony's or Chef Mickey's).

I will say that each experience will be different here. If you go two nights in a row, one may be great and another awful. Go hungry and patient and you can have a great time.

Ever since that great review John and Kevin did a couple of years ago of Ohana with the pencil eraser shrimp, I haven't been able to bring myself to go back but it sounds like they've turned the place around. Looks like it is worth giving a shot again. Thanks for the post Heidi!

Like so many of the 'all you care to enjoy' restaurants in Disney, I think a lot has to do with the party you go with and the time you go. In a group of 6-8 people, I think you get better service and more interaction. If you have an earlier seating I feel you get a better quality of food.

When it is only my wife and I, it seems we are either rushed or passed over. This happens at Ohana, Garden Grill, Whispering Canyon, ect. It's generally 'here's your lump of food, I'll be back eventually'. When we travel as just a couple I prefer buffet style where I am not reliant on the service.

Ohana was the first place to turn me on to bread pudding. Since then very few places have lived up to that standard. I have had the same experience that @DisneyKevin mentioned though, where the meat bringer comes out and, no matter how you want your meat done, thats how the next piece on the the tongs was cooked. Medium rare...that's this one... well done, sure that's the one right after.

Why would I need a clean plate when I have a perfectly good one filled with chicken bones covering half of it? Why should I mind making an ADR 6 months out only to wait 45 minutes to be seated? In short, the hype is huge and the reality is flaccid. There is so much to expect when you pay these prices, but I think Disney feels that if you don't go someone else will (see Tony's or Chef Mickey's).

I will say that each experience will be different here. If you go two nights in a row, one may be great and another awful. Go hungry and patient and you can have a great time.

First off, any night that ends in a flaccid experience is a poor one

Second - I've found 'Ohana to often be very good but very inconsistent. Even among the components. Sometimes the pork is amazing and the next time it is dry, etc

I do think the earlier you go the better, and less chance of major backup ("major backup" in any form, also a sign of a bad evening)

Also, a few Lapu Lapus helps the medicine go down

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter