Ohana or Cali Grill?

kendo43

Mouseketeer
So we are a family of 4, two adults and two kids 9 and 7. We arrive to Disney on Saturday October 7th and wanted to do a nice dinner to kick off our trip that first check in day. We also wanted (if possible) to dine somewhere with a decent fireworks view. From what I’ve seen online the view from California Grill is great when the observation decks are open but I’ve seen where you can watch from the beach at Poly too. We haven’t been to either and wanted some opinions! Thanks.

With 9 and 7 year olds, I would do 'Ohana and view the fireworks from the beach - Poly is just an, overall, better themed resort and has a real "wow" factor, IMHO. I think it would be a more fun way to start the trip than going to what may seem to be a "stuffier", more formal restaurant. Make sure to book your meal so you finish and have enough time to get to the beach to see the fireworks.

11 years a member and you dont know the difference between CG an OH?????

Apples and Oranges. You can see fireworks anywhere.

California Grill is finer (not as good as it used to be) dining where you sit down and have a slow paced meal.

Ohana is family style slop where mounds of mediocre food is plopped down on your table to over indulge. (also, not as good as it used to be)

Decide what kind of food you want. Again, you can see fireworks anyplace.

We arrive to Disney on Saturday October 7th and wanted to do a nice dinner to kick off our trip that first check in day.
I've learned through hard experience not to plan a major meal for arrival day. Flight delays, travel hassles, maybe having to get up early that day, etc.--I never know in advance how that evening is going to go in terms of everyone's energy and attitudes.

I would instead make this a game-time decision. If you decide you are up to it, go to any of the Monorail resorts' quick-serve places, grab dinner, and then walk to a place with a view. At CR, the pedestrian bridge between BLT and CR is not half bad. There are spots on the water at GF. And there is the Poly beach.

If you aren't up to it, a quiet night in at the resort to regroup might be just the ticket.

I went to Ohana several years ago with two of my sons, that were 10 and 16 at the time. I felt like Ohana was very rushed--we had barely started one course when the server was bringing the next course over. Does the current construction affect the beach part of the Polynesian much?

One of my sons, Dh, and I had dinner at California Grill a few weeks ago (July 4.) It was outstanding! We didn't even have a table right near the window (we were in one of those semi-circle booths along the wall) but still had a clear view of the castle and even a decent (but not perfect) view of the fireworks right from our table! If we had wanted an even better view, we could have gone outside to the observation deck. The food and the service were excellent.

I would absolutely choose CG over Ohana

I haven’t been since this time last year but both places were past their best.

CG used to be excellent but the fixed menu for a year seems to have killed the passion of the chefs. I had it when it first came out and then six months later. There was a noticeable deterioration in quality between the two visits.

Ohana can still be good and is cheaper, I would choose there out of the two.

11 years a member and you dont know the difference between CG an OH?????

Apples and Oranges. You can see fireworks anywhere.

California Grill is finer (not as good as it used to be) dining where you sit down and have a slow paced meal.

Ohana is family style slop where mounds of mediocre food is plopped down on your table to over indulge. (also, not as good as it used to be)

Decide what kind of food you want. Again, you can see fireworks anyplace.
You seem like a wonderful person. 11 years a member, 3 trips to Disney over those 11 years and we are now in a position to be able to splurge on different activities and places to eat. So yes, I wanted to know the main difference and what was everyone’s opinions before droppings $200-$300 on one meal. Have a great day

I've learned through hard experience not to plan a major meal for arrival day. Flight delays, travel hassles, maybe having to get up early that day, etc.--I never know in advance how that evening is going to go in terms of everyone's energy and attitudes.

I would instead make this a game-time decision. If you decide you are up to it, go to any of the Monorail resorts' quick-serve places, grab dinner, and then walk to a place with a view. At CR, the pedestrian bridge between BLT and CR is not half bad. There are spots on the water at GF. And there is the Poly beach.

If you aren't up to it, a quiet night in at the resort to regroup might be just the ticket.
Thanks, that’s good info. We are visiting family the days prior to arrival and it’s only a 45 minute drive so travel shouldn’t be an issue.

Assuming this a family vacation but the focus is on the kids …I’d go to ‘Ohana. The kids will enjoy it more. If it were you and DH only, then I’d say Cali Grill

California Grill is a must do for my family, Ohana is a never again (we gave it two chances). CG had better food, service, and fireworks viewing. We preferred the a la carte menu to the much more limited prix fixe though.

On our worst trip to Ohana, they messed up my wife's allergy-based food order and the obvious waiter kept bringing my 13yo the kid's menu items.

Last edited:
CG is more upscale fine dining, while ‘Ohana is more casual. The fireworks view from Poly beach is more straight on toward the castle, while the view from CG is from the side, although much closer. When our kids were the ages of yours, we would have chosen ‘Ohana for a relaxed arrival night dinner and the better fireworks view.

We ate at Ohana a year ago.
The sides were good, but all of the meats/proteins were terrible that day.
Do your kids like fine dining? If so I would go for Cali Grill. Another option would be Toppolinos o see the Epcot fireworks.

We ate at Ohana a year ago.
The sides were good, but all of the meats/proteins were terrible that day.
Do your kids like fine dining? If so I would go for Cali Grill. Another option would be Toppolinos o see the Epcot fireworks.
This would be the easiest since we are staying at Pop. Hadn’t thought of going here, thanks!

This would be the easiest since we are staying at Pop. Hadn’t thought of going here, thanks!
Topolino's might be a solid choice esp if you're staying at Pop. We haven't done dinner there yet, but have done breakfast several times.

There are some reports on here that quality is down and portions cut (breakfast they used to let you try different smaller-sized entrees with your meal, but I'm sure dinner is a different experience anyway).

We found breakfast, service, and ambiance to be fantastic when we went earlier this month.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter