'Ohana Means Family - An April 2013 TR Updated 8/26!!

When Ryan and I took off on our own I left off with the question of would we finally play some Sorcerers of the Magic Kingdom or visit with more princesses. We decided to do both!

Because we had just gotten off of Buzz Lightyear we were closest to Merida's meet and greet. I had read and heard several times that the line to meet her can get very long, so I knew that I wanted to maker certain to see her before it got to the end of the day and ran out of time.

I love the theming of this area! Especially all of the tapestries hanging up.

We had a short wait outside of the courtyard, but because we were in a fairly shaded area it didn't feel that bad. Since the boys weren't with us we just got in line for Merida instead of coloring or trying to shoot an arrow.

I was a little bit disappointed that the anamatronic bears were no longer a part of the meet and greet experience, but considering that there were a lot of rumors at the time that Merida was leaving soon too I was happy that she was still there. And now with the new parade announced for 2014 I don't think she will be leaving any time soon.

After leaving the meet and greet area we walked along the small path behind the castle towards Fantasyland. On a whim we stopped at the wishing well and I was able to fish out coins for both of us to make wishes. Then we continued one in search of my first Sorcerers portal in Fantasyland.

I wish I had taken pictures of some of the portals, but we were both so wrapped up in playing the game that we forgot. What I love the most about it was that unless you were specifically looking for the portals for the game you could easily walk past them and never even notice.

I played through most of my adventure when my mom texted me that they were near Liberty Square to catch good seats for the parade. It was still about 30-45 minutes before the parade stepped off from Main Street, so we darted back and forth across as much of Liberty Square as we could so Ryan could play through his entire adventure. We found my parents sitting on some benches near Tiana's meet and greet location, with both boys still asleep in their strollers. We still had a bit to wait, so I darted off to collect FastPasses for Ryan and I to use right after the parade was over.

A small line was already starting to form for Tiana's 3:30 meet and greet, so Ryan agreed to wait in line for us. Logan woke up just before the parade made it our way, so I picked him up and held him so that he would be able to see. We had a perfect view of the parade as it came over the bridge from the hub into Liberty Square. I've seen Celebrate a Dream Come True dozens of times, but never from that location, so it was really neat to see it from a new vantage point.

The Cast Members had already opened up the walkway to Tiana's Garden Glen, so we were bumped back a little bit in line because I was watching the parade with my dad and Logan, but we were still in the 3:30 group so I didn't mind. My parents stayed near the exit area because Logan had already fallen asleep again (and Ian still hadn't woken up)!

It always amazes me just how much detail Disney puts into everything, like the scroll work at the top of the gazebo.

It always feels a little bit odd to meet characters as an adult, but my inner child always seems to take over.

As I approached her, Tiana exclaimed "Well, who is this?" when she saw her mini yarn version. I still think that her reaction is my absolute favorite - especially because she had a perfect New Orleans drawl. If I overheard the Character Attendants correctly, Tiana's "friend" is actually from New Orleans, which makes it even more perfect.

In our short chat she asked if I was there with anyone else, and I pointed out Ryan and my parents, and told her that she had passed my boys as they slept in their strollers.

After another fantastic new meet and greet it was off towards a new attraction for Ryan because he had refused to ride it during our honeymoon trip. My parents followed behind us, but because the boys were STILL asleep at this point we agreed to meet up near Pirates of the Caribbean.

So which FP ride did we pick? The t-shirt Ryan has been wearing on this day gives a clue.

It seems like every time I blink lately 2-3 days have gone by. I have not been near my computer lately because I have been trying to finish as many commissions as possible before Thanksgiving - I have finished 5 recently (3 already mailed), then I hope to finish 1 more before I start a secret project.

After finishing up several commissions I allowed myself to take a quick break to make something fun, and I knew I needed to make it quickly so that I could get back to commission work.

Plus, I really wanted to have it done before Frozen arrived in theaters, because my Secret Project is an amigurumi version of Anna!

The embroidery to imitate the rosemaling (Norwegian folk design) was the trickiest part, but I'm really happy with how she turned out.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------

Ian is now on school break for Thanksgiving, so I may or may not get a chance to post an update until after the holiday. But he gets to go with my parents for a short trip so they can take him on a Polar Express train experience, so I might have time while he is gone.

Hello! Love the Anna doll. You are very talented!

How nice you had some time to tour alone. Glad you got some princess meets in!

Hello! Love the Anna doll. You are very talented!

How nice you had some time to tour alone. Glad you got some princess meets in!

Thank you! I'm very lucky that my mom taught me the basics of how to crochet when I was 10, but it wasn't until near the end of college that I started making toys like this. I'm even luckier that my crafting allows me to stay home with my boys instead of working outside the home.

It was fun being able to see a lot of things on our own, but at the same time it was a little bit sad because I wasn't there to see the rides and attractions through their little eyes. But since Logan was too short for any of the height restricted rides and Ian could only ride one of them it gave us a chance to go on a few of the trills rides without feeling too guilty.

After meeting Tiana we were off to Adventureland!

When Ryan and I went to Disney World for our honeymoon in 2007 he put down his foot and refused to go on most of the boat/water rides (I managed to get him on Splash Mountain and Pirates though) because he is afraid of water. But in 2011 we heard a song that started to change his mind about one of them.

I can't remember exactly which month it was, but we had recently moved into our house so we might have already been expecting Logan too, and Ryan and I were awake watching the very end of one of Jeff Dunham's specials on Comedy Central (hilarious ventriloquist if you haven't heard of him before). After it was over we didn't jump to change the channel and a concert special for Weird Al Yankovic started airing featuring songs from his newest album at the time (Alpocolypse). I admit that I wasn't paying the closest attention to it at the time, but I happened to look up at the right time during one of the songs to see Al decked out in a full Skipper costume from the Jungle Cruise! He was, of course, performing Skipper Dan, which has become one of our favorite songs of his ever. I don't know how to properly embed a video on these forums, but here is a link to the video.

As a part of the shirts I made for us for the trip I screen printed shirts for Ryan and I that say "I (heart) Skipper Dan" in the Jungle Cruise font. Ryan had been wearing his all day, but I waited until just before we entered the queue to put mine on. As soon as the first Cast Member saw us with the shirts she asked "Seriously?" and we just laughed and replied "Yes!" She told us that for the first time in about 3 years they actually had a Dan working at the attraction, and he was working that day.

We ended up getting Skipper Shane. He was awesome, and fully committed to the script. And it happened to be his birthday too!

"That's an African Bull Elephant"

"There it is, the backside of water!"

I had to get a picture with Shane to prove just how awesome our shirts were.

As we exited our boat several other Cast Members, and a few managers, pointed us out to their coworkers so that they could see us too. Several of them chuckled, but it was all in good fun and I was able to tell them that if it wasn't for the song I don't think Ryan would have ever willingly gone on the ride.

Then it was time to meet up with my parents and the boys near Pirates.

I pretty much always have knitting project with me, and being at Disney World was not an excuse. I was working on (and still working on actually) a pair of socks. I really wanted to get a picture of them next to Pirates because of the name of the yarn colors - "Pirate King"

This was also our first chance to see one of the spots for the new Pirates Adventure interactive game. I don't think it was even officially announced before our trip.

Unfortunately Pirates was down at the time, so we checked out the line for Splash Mountain. It was over 70 minutes long and the FastPass return would have been in the middle of our dinner plans.

About this time Brandon and Rochelle had finished riding The Grand Prix Raceway (I still can't get used to the "new" name for it), and we were texting back and forth to see about meeting up somewhere before dinner.

Where will we meet up? Will all 8 of us go on a ride together?

I promise I haven't forgotten my TR! We had a very very busy Thanksgiving weekend and I am still playing catch up. Ian got the chance to have a short visit with my parents and they took him on a Polar Express train ride - he was given a silver bell and he hasn't let go of it since. I've also been busy working on some crocheted pieces for a contest to win a table at the largest anime convention we attend each year. The deadline is tonight at 8pm central and I still have an amigurumi fix to finish, stage and take the picture, and submit it. Fingers crossed that I get it in on time!

I am so sorry, but I'm not certain I will be able to post another update before Christmas. I am still swamped with commissions (but finally on a good schedule for most of them), and the boys and I both have miserable sinus infections :sick:. Add to that Ryan's birthday is tomorrow, and my church is hosting a special cantata program soon (and I've been roped in as a helper for my friend who is one of the music interns at our church) leads to a very hectic schedule that doesn't allow any time to sit and write.

I hope everyone has a safe and happy holidays, and I will be back to updates as soon as I can.

~Megan

Hi Megan! I'm caught up! I was a bit bummed that Merida's little bear brothers were not there when we returned to WDW in August. They were a fun addition to the interaction.

Yay for a great skipper on Jungle Cruise. And yes, I think you posing while wearing the perfect tee was awesome.

You have some great knitting skills Megan! Great doll.

Sounds like you have a busy week and no worries about the Dis stuff... it will still be here. That's what I have to keep saying to myself as I keep plugging along with my stuff. :)

Wishing you and your family a very Merry Christmas!

My family is finally healthy, and I have time to return to a semi-regular updating schedule!

On with the TR!

----------------------------------------------------------------------------

Brandon and Rochelle were able to squeeze in a ride on the PeopleMover as we continued our text messages back and forth trying to meet up.

A view of the Castle you don't always see

As we made our way through Frontierland Ryan really wanted to try out the Shootin' Arcade, which also made for a convenient place to stop and wait for Brandon and Rochelle to make their way across the park to us.

We finally all met up and continued on to Fantasyland. The boys required a quick trip to the bathroom and an outfit change for one of them, which gave us our first peeks into the Rapunzel bathrooms. They are incredible! I know it sounds weird to say that about a bathroom, but it is so true. The Imagineers put so much attention into every little detail.

Then it was time for our first ride together...almost. We decided to ride it's a small world, and that is the one ride Ryan absolutely refuses to ride. He's even gone so far as to threaten to jump out of the boat and steal an Audio Anamatronic if we forced him to ride it.

But the rest of us enjoyed it, especially Logan.

After we rode I suggested we head over to Mickey's Philharmagic. The wait time stated 45 minutes and Brandon hesitated because the young adults were leaving the park for dinner that night and he didn't think that we would have enough time. But I couldn't see anyone standing and waiting in the queue area and knew from experience that it was only a true 45 minute wait if the entire winding queue area was filled. So all 8 of us headed in to the line - and there was no one in the queue! We walked straight into the holding pen, only needing to wait until the show before us ended.

While I love Philharmagic, unfortunately Ian didn't agree, and spent most of the time either in my lap or hiding under my legs.

Then it was time to split off - mom, dad, and the boys went towards one more ride while the young adults headed to the monorail.

Ian and Logan loved their ride on the carousel!

After their carousel ride it was time for their dinner at another family favorite restaurant - Tony's Town Square.

For the young adults, we were all headed to the Grand Floridian to eat at the Grand Floridian Cafe, but we weren't dining together. One of Ryan's very few requests was to have one dinner together, just the two of us. After looking at the menus for all of the restaurants at the monorail resorts both couples ended up picking the GFC.

I didn't remember to take any pictures, but both Ryan and I ordered the ceaser salad for our appetizers and the Grand Floridian burger for our entree. We both picked the burger because our server described is as "surf and turf on a brioche bun". It was delicous!! For dessert I picked the seasonal sorbet and Ryan had the Boston cream pie. Based on their pictures, Brandon and Rochelle had the Pan-Roasted Chicken Breast and the Char-crusted New York Strip Steak and the dessert sampler to share.

Ryan and I finished our meal slightly before Brandon and Rochelle, so we waited for them in the lobby. We were surprised to find a small orchestra playing up on the mezzanine. We were able to sit and listen to a few songs before Brandon and Rochelle were finished and ready to head back to the Magic Kingdom.

Hi Megan! I'm caught up! I was a bit bummed that Merida's little bear brothers were not there when we returned to WDW in August. They were a fun addition to the interaction.

Yay for a great skipper on Jungle Cruise. And yes, I think you posing while wearing the perfect tee was awesome.

You have some great knitting skills Megan! Great doll.

Sounds like you have a busy week and no worries about the Dis stuff... it will still be here. That's what I have to keep saying to myself as I keep plugging along with my stuff. :)

Wishing you and your family a very Merry Christmas!

Thank you, and I hope you and your family had a very Merry Christmas too! My parents spent the day at our house, and the boys had a very Disney Christmas. Even though Logan freaked out when we went to see Santa Ian told Santa that he wanted a train and Logan wanted Mickey. The Mickey turned out to be a Mickey that sings the Hot Dog song and giggles - Logan loves carrying him around! And they both got several things from Planes.

I won't be updating until Sunday night or Monday because we are out of town for a very special event - Brandon and Rochelle are getting married this weekend! The boys are going to be ring bearers, but we aren't certain how well they will behave.

We left off just after the young adults returned to the Magic Kingdom after dinner. A few more obligatory pictures in front of the castle were in order

Then we made our way back to New Fantasyland to meet one last princess - Ariel! It had been a long, long time since I had gotten a picture with Ariel in her mermaid tail because the ling was always so atrociously long at her old Grotto. Granted, I don't think the line was much shorter this time around, but it was really neat to see the new space. Like the other princesses through out the day she loved seeing herself in yarn form. When I mentioned that one of the books she was signing was for my sons she asked if they were brave sailors, because Prince Eric was looking for a few brave sailors to join his ship. I said that they were, and that they would love to be sailors.

My parents had changed the boys into their pajamas and were getting ready to watch the Main Street Electrical Parade, so we continued to wander through Fantasyland to meet up with them. Since we had stopped at the Tangled bathrooms earlier and I had seen the women's room I practically begged Ryan to take my camera into the men's room. While he gave me a very odd look he agreed. And what's even funnier - I never took any pictures inside the women's room!

"Frying pans. Who knew?"

We caught up with my parents and the boys shortly before MSEP started, though it wasn't easy getting to them. They were standing almost exactly across from where we stood for the day time parade (on the Castle side for MSEP), but the street was so crowded that there was no way Ryan and I would have been able to weave our way through them all. Because of some of the construction around that area in Liberty Square there was a very small walk way that almost looked like you shouldn't be back there that went behind the shops and the Sleepy Hollow counter service area. That lead us right to the small seating area next to Sleepy Hollow. The boys were able to stand on the brick wall and had a clear view of the entire parade. The boys were well beyond their bedtime at that point, so they headed back to the resort while Ryan and I made a mad dash back the way we came to get in line for a new to us since refurbishment ride - The Haunted Mansion!

I was so excited to see how it all looked because it had been closed during our honeymoon, so not only did I have the updated attic sequence and the Escher stairs to see, but the entire extended queue area. Since we made it there before most of the crowds from the parade we didn't have time to stop and really interact with the queue (or look for the wedding ring), but it was absolutely fabulous! As we exited I had a message from Brandon, so we stopped next to the Pet Cemetery (the first time I had ever stopped there, of course I noticed Mr. Toad), and agreed to meet up in Tomorrowland after Wishes.

I had hoped to finish the Sorcerers of the Magic Kingdom quest I was working on, but the entire area was already blocked off for Wishes. We continued over into Tomorrowland, and we might have had time to ride a ride (either Buzz or PeopleMover), but it didn't make it into my notes and we don't remember anymore. At the end of the fireworks I stood up on one of the benches on the bridge as you move from the hub to Tommorowland so Brandon and Rochelle could find us. They had excellent spots for Wishes, almost directly under Tinkerbell's flight path.

Aren't they cute together? And their wedding (back in January) was absolutely beautiful!

As soon as we met up Brandon was very excited to show off his accomplishment from their earlier ride on Buzz - the button he received because he was a Galactic Hero! :woohoo:

Rochelle was a little jealous of his score

Since we still had time in the parks (and energy to burn) the four of us went on Buzz again. It was time for a couples showdown!

And the winner?

Me!

I reached the maximum score in only the second room of the ride! I'm still not 100% certain how that happened!

Then it was time to blast off into space! Ryan stood in line with us, but he is not a fan of roller coasters, so he took the chicken exit and waited for the rest of us to return to Earth. We also picked up some earlier ride pictures of Brandon and Rochelle's rides since you have to physically have the PhotoPass+ card to collect your pictures, not just a picture of the card number.

Then it was time to call it a night... After one last picture. I think Rochelle was excited to be on vacation, don't you?

Next up - a second full day at Magic Kingdom!

Originally this was supposed to be our only full day at the Magic Kingdom, but since the flights were changed before our trip this became our second full day. It was definitely a lot easier to not feel pressured to do everything the first day because we knew that we had a second day planned to catch the rides and attractions we missed out on during our first day.

This was also supposed to be our day where we were "that family". You know the ones - where everyone has the same matching shirts and takes pictures in front of the castle. Ryan and I and the boys still wore our shirts, and my mom and dad wore red shirts, so we still looked mostly like a cohesive family.

We were up bright and early for 7:30am ADRs. While that's the normal time the boys eat breakfast, I honestly don't think I will ever attempt that early of a breakfast ever again at Disney. I am NOT a morning person on vacation, so I do not know what compelled me to make such early ADRs.

Rochelle in front of the giant Ariel statue

Logan was a little bit of a fussy butt on our bus ride to the park we needed to transfer at, until he realized that he had the PhotoPass+ card to play with.

Where were we headed?

The namesake restaurant of this Trip Report - 'Ohana! :cheer2: This was another new restaurant for us. I think this was our first time eating at the Polynesian as a family since 1998 when my parents, Brandon, and I went to the luau. I ate at the quick service counter with a Cast Member friend during my summer internship, but that was still back in 2005.

Yes, I had way too much fun with all of the possible borders for our Photopass pictures.

Waiting for the characters

All of the adult couples

We were seated at a very large round table that was right in the middle of all of the action. We were next to the main walkway in and out of the restaurant as well as the big walkway through the dining room.

Character Parade

We offered Ian the chance to get up and participate in the parade, but he was content to stay in his highchair next to Logan and just play the maracas

Logan loved the Mickey waffles! The best way to start your Disney day! And the rest of the food was delicious too. Plus with it being served family style we never had to get up from the table, which was an extra bonus.

Stitch was the first character to stop by our table. Ian said "Sti" as he walked over!

Stitch loved Ian's ears!

Stitch signing my book

Then Lilo

I promise that the boys were more interested in Lilo than this picture shows - they were just moving too much.

It was about this time that Kimmie called me, but the restaurant was just too noisy for me to be able to hear her, so I promised her that I would call her back as soon as we were done eating.

Even Brandon and Rochelle wanted pictures with Mickey in his Hawaiian shirt

Kisses from (and for) Pluto

We finished up eating and I went and stood next to the windows right outside of 'Ohana that overlooked the resort and called Kimmie back. She had called us that morning to let us know that because of the massive amount of rain in the greater Chicagoland area our basement had partially flooded. The carpeting was soaked all the way through, and she wasn't certain where the water was coming in. We told her where to find some extra fans to help dry it as best as she could (she also ended up borrowing a shop vac from another church member), since there wasn't much else we could do while we were away from home. Then before we left the resort to head to the Magic Kingdom I received a call from Ian's speech therapist, who came to our house once a week to work with him, to let us know that the flooding was trapping her in her neighborhood. I reminded her that we were on vacation :beach: (which I had told her in advance), and once that was all straightened out it was finally time to put all of our worldly worries behind us for now and to enjoy the rest of our day.

Back to the monorail we went for one last ride for the morning.

Life is getting in the way of updating, but I should be able to return soon. We are having a major home improvement done next week (brand new windows in our entire house), and we need to clean everything up and move furniture away from the walls in just 7 days. And with two active little boys that will probably undo most of the progress each day it will be a very busy week. And then right afterward Logan turns two! Time is just going way too fast!

So as Mickey says "See Ya Real Soon!"

Just found and read your entire thread. I enjoyed your trip !
Great family and beautiful children !

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter