'Ohana at the Polynesian reopening on July 9th

I just don’t understand devoting a second of emotional capacity to stuff like this. It’s not that big a deal. Menus in the real world change all the time at restaurants.
The difference is that a lot of people go to Disney once every year or two. If they like something they have a long time to look forward to it again, and this year you add an extra year. Also in the real world if the menu goes down in quality and up in price we don't like that.

They did it for one of two reasons. 1. Streamline production while still shorted staff or 2. To reduce cost. Both is obviously an option too. Im sure they didnt set out to anger fans on purpose.

I understand changes happen. However, they still make me sad. I personally do not eat rice. Therefore, Disney has just removed my family from attending one of our favorite restaurants. The changes were not at the best interest of their customers. They are making these decisions to cut corners and save money. Super sad.

Bring back the noodles! Bring back grilled chicken and grilled shrimp!
Disney you’re breaking my heart 😫

Breakfast-other restaurants are having modified character experiences, why not here? Does not make sense.

This is the same board that said no one would buy Boo Bash & two days in a row the lines are full. Soooooooooooo

To be fair, no one knows how few employees Disney is paying to answer phones and sell the tickets...I mean, as far as Chapek is concerned, the event is still a few months away, so there's no rush...

I wonder how it will be served. Everything in one swoop? We liked eating the salad and bread, then the chicken and pot stickers, then the rest. Then again we haven't been in about four years, so we have no idea what they did in 2019 (pre- covid).

To be fair, no one knows how few employees Disney is paying to answer phones and sell the tickets...I mean, as far as Chapek is concerned, the event is still a few months away, so there's no rush...

As long as he can cite it‘s all due to “unprecedented demand”. No, they aren’t having trouble hiring people back at all 🙄

Didn't they try rice for noodles before? I seem to remember something.
I am upset about noodles, but I'll try it still.

Yeah, this happened before, sometime in the early 2000’s maybe? The starch side dish went from noodles (when ‘Ohana opened, or at least the first time I ate there in 1999), to coconut rice, and was even some kind of potatoes at one point. Eventually the noodles returned. The noodles definitely spark the most passion in the fan base, lol!

My issue with ‘Ohana is that it used to be a great dinner experience. 20 years ago the food was reeeeally tasty and unique, the service was attentive and part of the atmosphere, and they had fun entertainment and games. Over the years ‘Ohana has suffered death by a thousand cuts. First they take away a dipping sauce, then swap for a lower quality cut of meat, then you have to ask for bread, then they stretch the servers so thin that it’s hard to get refills, then they cut back on entertainment, etc. etc. etc. Now it will be so dumbed down that it’s just another family-style skillet dinner in a room with Moana carpet.

It’s a shame that this will the best restaurant experience the Poly has to offer. A deluxe resort should have more than an OK cafe and a family-style skillet place.

Yeah, this happened before, sometime in the early 2000’s maybe? The starch side dish went from noodles (when ‘Ohana opened, or at least the first time I ate there in 1999), to coconut rice, and was even some kind of potatoes at one point. Eventually the noodles returned. The noodles definitely spark the most passion in the fan base, lol!

My issue with ‘Ohana is that it used to be a great dinner experience. 20 years ago the food was reeeeally tasty and unique, the service was attentive and part of the atmosphere, and they had fun entertainment and games. Over the years ‘Ohana has suffered death by a thousand cuts. First they take away a dipping sauce, then swap for a lower quality cut of meat, then you have to ask for bread, then they stretch the servers so thin that it’s hard to get refills, then they cut back on entertainment, etc. etc. etc. Now it will be just another family-style skillet dinner in a room with Moana carpet.

It’s a shame that this will the best restaurant experience the Poly has to offer. A deluxe resort should have more than an OK cafe and a family-style skillet place.

Yes, we went with our grandkids several time for the coconut race, the hula dance, etc. Miss all the kids didn't get to take part of that. I know some people hated the races, and we did have to hold onto the table when once we were in the main path of the runway....but still overall good meal and fun for the kids.

Last edited:
Shrimp casserole will be a no.....it probably has things in it I can't have. DH is really disappointed. He loved the shrimp skewers and they would unload a whole one on his plate. He was a happy eater.
I can't eat the rice or noodles but would cheat for a bite of noodles. Love the salad. That one looks like a lot more things added.
Not sure about the chicken. Wonder what seasonings since it is roasted.
Wonder what the sausage will be like. That could step in for DH instead of the shrimp.
I'll have to wait and see how it goes. We will be skipping it next trip. And I was really looking forward to going back.

I was so excited to see the announcement. I'll try to get an ADR, but I think I'll be checking out the reviews. I also need to see an allergy menu. I think Kona might be better for us...and I'm a bit sad about it.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter